Management dropped the ball

Sydla

Reaction score
Tweak the randy deal? He was never taking a tweaking of the Randy deal because Buffalo blew that deal out the water, Now tell me you were willing to match the Buffalo deal and I'll call you crazy.

Buffalo didn't beat it as much as you think. You see the 6 years, $120 million and think wow, crazy. But then when you look at the details, you realize it was only really a 3 year, $53 million contract. The $120 million number is so high because in years 4-6 he has large unguaranteed base salaries that he likely will never see.

Dre11

Reaction score
Buffalo didn't beat it as much as you think. You see the 6 years, $120 million and think wow, crazy. But then when you look at the details, you realize it was only really a 3 year, $53 million contract. The $120 million number is so high because in years 4-6 he has large unguaranteed base salaries that he likely will never see.

Again he got 51 million guaranteed, as I also said he doesn't have 3 years, he might not have 2

Sydla

Reaction score
He doesn't have 3 years, and 51 million guarantee...lol

You don't think he'll be viable in three years? As noted elsewhere in this thread, edge players like him can play well into their late 30s and be quite effective. People were predicting in the preseason Miller was cooked already and all he did last night was dominate.

At the end of the day, what he signed was basically a 3 year, $51-52 million guaranteed contract. People acting like he got $120 million don't understand NFL contracts.

Flamma

Reaction score
Oh man all I could think about last night was if we had von Miller coming off edge with parsons how nasty our defense would’ve been. Not even mentioning dlaw to the picture. Wow management don’t wanna win

Dropped the ball? They didn't make any mistakes, they just don't do that anymore. This Jerry Jones would not have signed Charles Haley, T.O., or Deion. That was the old Jerry.

Dre11

Reaction score
You don't think he'll be viable in three years? As noted elsewhere in this thread, edge players like him can play well into their late 30s and be quite effective. People were predicting in the preseason Miller was cooked already and all he did last night was dominate.

At the end of the day, what he signed was basically a 3 year, $51-52 million guaranteed contract. People acting like he got $120 million don't understand NFL contracts.

No I don't think he will be viable on 3 Years . He had 1 good night getting up for his former team, if he wanted to come here. The Gregory contract was fair. He even turned down the Rams deal that was better than ours and he turned it down

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2...-year-deal-rams-proposal-guaranteed-two-years

Sydla

Reaction score
No I don't think he will be viable on 3 Years . He had 1 good night getting up for his former team, if he wanted to come here. The Gregory contract was fair. He even turned down the Rams deal that was better than ours and he turned it down

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2...-year-deal-rams-proposal-guaranteed-two-years

He has shown zero signs of slowing down and started the year on fire, but apparently he's just gonna fall off the map? Again, edge players like him can last well into their mid to late 30s.

The Cowboys could easily have come in just under what the Bills gave him and gotten him. But Jerry and Stephen are loathe to pay big money to FAs instead trying to plow it into their own guys, even if those guys aren't actually better than what's out there. Shoot, ZaDarius Smith would have been a better signing than Gregory and Fowler. Whiffed on that one too.

And now we find out that our 2nd round pick, Sam Williams might not even be active on Sunday per Bobby Belt. He along with Fowler were going to compensate for the loss of Gregory.

Dre11

Reaction score
He has shown zero signs of slowing down and started the year on fire, but apparently he's just gonna fall off the map? Again, edge players like him can last well into their mid to late 30s.

The Cowboys could easily have come in just under what the Bills gave him and gotten him. But Jerry and Stephen are loathe to pay big money to FAs instead trying to plow it into their own guys, even if those guys aren't actually better than what's out there. Shoot, ZaDarius Smith would have been a better signing than Gregory and Fowler. Whiffed on that one too.

And now we find out that our 2nd round pick, Sam Williams might not even be active on Sunday per Bobby Belt. He along with Fowler were going to compensate for the loss of Gregory.

Lol you kill Tank for not getting double digit sacks. Miller hasn't had a double digit sack season since 2018 and you want to pay him the 5th highest in gaurantee or close to it in the league and the 4th or close to it highest contract...lol

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
There's a big difference between 33 and 40.
Not for a 33 year old linebacker. By 33 your career is done. Quarterbacks and linemen have shown they can play into their late 30s…..signing a 33 year old to that contract is stupid.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Lol you kill Tank for not getting double digit sacks. Miller hasn't had a double digit sack season since 2018 and you want to pay him the 5th highest in gaurantee or close to it in the league and the 4th or close to it highest contract...lol
Exaaaaacctttlllly.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

Randy Gregory got $28M guaranteed. That's $28M vs $51M........

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/randy-gregory-16784/

Sydla

Reaction score

You must have me confused with someone else. I have no issues with Lawrence. I do wish his sack numbers were a bit higher but I think he's a pretty well rounded DE that I have no big problems with.

And Miller had 9.5 sacks last year but LOL at you trying to split hairs. He's a legit upper level edge player who is much better than Gregory. As I said ZaDarius Smith is also a better edge player that we could have signed. But the Cowboys tried to hand a big contract to Gregory and when he bolted, they decided DE wasn't that important and went out and signed a bargain bin guy because he was a warm body.

Sydla

Reaction score
Randy Gregory got $28M guaranteed. That's $28M vs $51M........

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/randy-gregory-16784/

And??? Miller is a better edge player so of course he was going to cost more.

And when you look at cap hits over the next 3 years, guess what? It's not like Miller's cap hit is twice as much. Both have similar cap hits this year, Gregory is $16 million for 2023 and 2024 and Miller is $18 million and $21 million in 2023 and 2024. I'd absolutely have eaten up a bit more cap space to get a much better player.

Sydla

Reaction score
Not for a 33 year old linebacker. By 33 your career is done. Quarterbacks and linemen have shown they can play into their late 30s…..signing a 33 year old to that contract is stupid.

There literally is a list of similar styled edge players in this thread who played well into their 30s. So no, LBs/Edge players don't necessarily just fall off the map.

Julius Peppers played until his late 30s and had double digit sacks as a 35 and 37 year old. Suggs played effectively until he retired at 37 years old. He had double digit sacks as a 35 year old.

Those are Miller peers. So no, a 33 year old edge defender isn't officially "done".

Cameron Jordan, Robert Quinn, Chandler Jones are all in the 32-33 range that had double digit sacks last year. You telling me they are all "done" now?

Last edited:

ottawacowpoke

Reaction score
Imagine Von teaching Micah and Sam, providing championship mentality & leadership while still performing at pro bowl level.

Like Peters doing with Tyler. Such a missed opportunity.
I couldn’t agree more. 25 years of this crap.

Reactions: BAT

kskboys

Reaction score
If last years 12 - 5 roster was not close...then good Lord what is close? Didn't the Bengals get to the SB with a 2nd year QB coming off a major injury and a 2nd year head coach? The NFC is ripe for the picking...the owner is 80 years old....we downgrade the roster and emerge from the offseason with the 3rd most cap room in the NFL. Make that make sense!
A team that doesn't give up 169 yds rushing and can make 3rd down stops and doesn't let the other team go up and down the field at will.

kskboys

Reaction score
Last year’s Cowboys went 12-5. The Bills went 11-6.

To say that the team with the lesser record is a Super Bowl contender while the other isn’t is a terrible attempted argument.
D baby!!!!!

Blackrain

Reaction score
Yeah they dropped the ball all right but it wasn't because they didn't have enough pass rushers.
They failed to address the offensive line properly and now we're scuffling and scraping