Management dropped the ball

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
There literally is a list of similar styled edge players in this thread who played well into their 30s. So no, LBs/Edge players don't necessarily just fall off the map.

Julius Peppers played until his late 30s and had double digit sacks as a 35 and 37 year old. Suggs played effectively until he retired at 37 years old. He had double digit sacks as a 35 year old.

Those are Miller peers. So no, a 33 year old edge defender isn't officially "done".

Cameron Jordan, Robert Quinn, Chandler Jones are all in the 32-33 range that had double digit sacks last year. You telling me they are all "done" now?
If you are gauging skill based on "Sack totals" then no, they aren't done. But I saw first hand how great Robert Quinn was against the run.

Dre11

Reaction score
You must have me confused with someone else. I have no issues with Lawrence. I do wish his sack numbers were a bit higher but I think he's a pretty well rounded DE that I have no big problems with.

And Miller had 9.5 sacks last year but LOL at you trying to split hairs. He's a legit upper level edge player who is much better than Gregory. As I said ZaDarius Smith is also a better edge player that we could have signed. But the Cowboys tried to hand a big contract to Gregory and when he bolted, they decided DE wasn't that important and went out and signed a bargain bin guy because he was a warm body.

Lol..Tank played in 9 less games and had 3 sacks Randy played in 4 less games than Miller and had 6 sacks and 1 less pressure than Miller, but keep trying to convince yourself he's a much better rusher than Gregory at this point in his career and he's worth the 5 highest guarantee andb4th highest contract....lol

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
He has shown zero signs of slowing down and started the year on fire, but apparently he's just gonna fall off the map? Again, edge players like him can last well into their mid to late 30s.

The Cowboys could easily have come in just under what the Bills gave him and gotten him. But Jerry and Stephen are loathe to pay big money to FAs instead trying to plow it into their own guys, even if those guys aren't actually better than what's out there. Shoot, ZaDarius Smith would have been a better signing than Gregory and Fowler. Whiffed on that one too.

And now we find out that our 2nd round pick, Sam Williams might not even be active on Sunday per Bobby Belt. He along with Fowler were going to compensate for the loss of Gregory.

Should have given him combined money of Randy + LVE + Fowler and not re-sign Armstrong.

Von is worth more than those 4 players.

Easily.

Low base + ton of incentives (+10 sacks, pro bowl, playoffs, All Pro, % of plays, etc.).

Cowboys also are sitting on ridiculous cap surplus right now, over 20M.

Last edited:

rambo2

Reaction score
Should have given him combined money of Randy + LVE and not re-sign Armstrong.

Von is worth more than those 3 players.

Easily.

I'll just enjoy the players that we do have which includes the best player in the entire league.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh man all I could think about last night was if we had von Miller coming off edge with parsons how nasty our defense would’ve been. Not even mentioning dlaw to the picture. Wow management don’t wanna win
The Rams are losers. They had him but let him go.

They'll never win a Super Bowl with that type of management...

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I'll just enjoy the players that we do have which includes the best player in the entire league.

We are discussing what could have been.

Micah and Dak were recruiting Von hard. And Von wanted to play at home but Jones were not seriously entertaining it because they wanted to sign Randy to lowball offer.

Jones ended up with neither player. Lost them both.

Last edited:

rambo2

Reaction score
We are discussing what could have been.

Micah and Dak were recruiting Von hard. And Von wanted to play at home but Jones were not seriously entertaining it because they wanted to sign Randy to lowball offer.

Jones ended up with neither player. Lost them both.
Sure, but it turns out that they look to be loaded anyway. Randy wasn't low balled. It is actually good that they don't have Randy.

Adreme

Reaction score
He’s 33……

Yes and he is still playing at a pro bowl/all pro level. Will he be at that level in years 4 and 5? Probably not, but that is why they are effectively team options for those years and his deal is really only a 3 year deal.

Adreme

Reaction score
It’s not about contracts it’s about his age…people are pissed we got Peters at 40.

Which is why people are dumb. If a player can play at a high level and it is a short-term deal you sign them. People who say "oh just get younger" are being dumb. NFL rosters have massive turnover anyway so whether it is an older player or younger one you sign the player who is going to play the best. The fact that a 40 year old is likely going to be an upgrade means you sign him because a 40 year old upgrade beats a 25 year old downgrade.

lukin2006

Reaction score
The only thing the jones care about is money. Winning is no longer a priority…

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Oh man all I could think about last night was if we had von Miller coming off edge with parsons how nasty our defense would’ve been. Not even mentioning dlaw to the picture. Wow management don’t wanna win
You haven’t even seen this years defense play and you’re crapping on them. SMDH.

Dre11

Reaction score
Yes and he is still playing at a pro bowl/all pro level. Will he be at that level in years 4 and 5? Probably not, but that is why they are effectively team options for those years and his deal is really only a 3 year deal.

Can He do it all year, for that contract as yall like to point out with others(zeke) (tank) He had 1 game against an opponent I'm sure he had some extra juice for. Tank get killed for not getting double digit sacks and Miller hasn't had 1 since 2018. You're paying him the 5th and 4th highest player at his position?

Adreme

Reaction score
Can He do it all year, for that contract as yall like to point out with others(zeke) (tank) He had 1 game against an opponent I'm sure he had some extra juice for. Tank get killed for not getting double digit sacks and Miller hasn't had 1 since 2018. You're paying him the 5th and 4th highest player at his position?

Sacks tend to come in bunches but considering we have an entire career that shows he can and with no real slow down odds are certainly in favor of yes.

You brought up DLaw and I will bring up Gregory (because they offered Miller the same deal). Now Miller missed 2020 with an ankle injury (which is why that metric you gave is kind of silly) and in his other 2 years had 8 sack and 9.5 sacks (last year being 5 with Rams and 4.5 with Broncos). DLaw in those 3 years despite playing 9 more games still has fewer sacks. Randy Gregory has a career high sack number of 6 and got 14m AAV and the Cowboys thought that was fine value, meaning that they were not willing to pay that extra 4m for a player who has both a better pedigree and has been playing far better recently. Oh and the icing on the cake is those 17.5 sacks over 2 years is more than Gregory has for his entire career.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
There’s a lot to get on management about. Not signing a 33 year old pass rusher to a 6 year $120,000,000 contract with $51,000,000 guaranteed and an average salary of $20,000,000 a year isn’t one of them.

he looked very good last night but I agree with Dallas here.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
We don’t even know if he will play like that this season….sure game 1 he looked good playing against his former team. Will that body hold up over a season? Yet to be seen. If it does and he plays 3 seasons at a high level then yeah I can concede we screwed up.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Which is why people are dumb. If a player can play at a high level and it is a short-term deal you sign them. People who say "oh just get younger" are being dumb. NFL rosters have massive turnover anyway so whether it is an older player or younger one you sign the player who is going to play the best. The fact that a 40 year old is likely going to be an upgrade means you sign him because a 40 year old upgrade beats a 25 year old downgrade.
I don’t disagree. Peters was a no brainer for the price. Miller was a different case.

Adreme

Reaction score
We don’t even know if he will play like that this season….sure game 1 he looked good playing against his former team. Will that body hold up over a season? Yet to be seen. If it does and he plays 3 seasons at a high level then yeah I can concede we screwed up.

We have no idea if anyone's body will hold up over a season. We have seen zero indication that Miller is fading and had zero indication that he will. That is the best you can hope for in the NFL because at the end of the day signing no one is clearly not working. You cannot win a Super Bowl anymore just ignoring free agency and only going for bargains.

LysleE

Reaction score

I thought the exact same thing…but then you’re assuming that our FO and coaches would use him effectively and not try to show how smart they are by playing him in another position, or platooning him with some other pet care the FO likes.