Mark Schlereth rips Jerry Jones over Trey Lance trade

Havic

Reaction score
The Jerry today is not that of the 90s. He relies heavily on guys like McClay now

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As a member of CowboysZone, you must agree to the following rules:

#13 - You will not circumvent the language filter

A reminder for all comments posted from this point forward.

khiladi

Reaction score

Mark Schlereth rips Jerry Jones over Trey Lance trade: ‘Cowboys will never win ****’​

https://nypost.com/2023/08/31/mark-schlereth-rips-cowboys-jerry-jones-over-trey-lance-trade/

I mean this us pretty obvious. Mark said he doesn’t care about them not informing Dak, but the HC is completely different. Every player knows the FO doesn’t generally consult players about moves they are going to make.

It’s not about who is making the trade, it’s the fact that Jerry didn’t discuss with the HC. That’s the anomaly here and that’s what is obviously not standard practice at all for a professional sports team.

khiladi

Reaction score
The 49ers called the Cowboys
JJ did not start this trade he just agreed to send 4th for him it is small price to pay

Not sure about that, as Lynch said they got multiple offers for Lance, but not anywhere near what they were expecting. The Cowboys offered the best deal.

Lynch said the 49ers received multiple offers for Lance. When the conversations started on Wednesday, teams were willing to only send the 49ers late-round picks.

https://sports.yahoo.com/trey-lance..._p71gGIMSw3pBWx0IB4sQ26V-9sUMragMubguNOFP4XCs

I think a I vaguely recall Jerry saying as soon as they heard he was available, they wanted the desk to happen. It could be they contacted him along other teams they contacted, as Trey requested a trade anyways.

"We felt good about him with the evaluation we had for him at the draft," Jones continued. "We felt good about what we’ve seen, tape that he’s had since he’s been in the NFL. And it’s one that we made the decision almost the minute we heard the name. Let’s get him."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ains-trey-lance-trade-with-49ers/70694979007/

Stephen Jones per this last article also says that they gave up a 4th, as that is where they had him in the draft and wanted to get him if he was available.

CWR

Reaction score
He has hated the Cowboys for a long time. I can remember getting irritated with him years ago. I dont follow him closely so maybe it's not always that way, but any recollection I have of him is crapping all over Dallas.

I do believe coaching and McClay should have had a heavy hand in this deal though. Don't get me wrong.

CWR

Reaction score
Same old Jerry, like bringing "The player" TO without the buy in from the big Tuna.

Thing is TO was great as a Cowboy. What about Demarcus Ware? Jerry doesn't get crapped on for that. At the end of the day I love taking a shot on Lance. I just wish Jerry didn't publicize how he got there and who wasn't involved.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
IMO he has a point about undermining the coach's authority, but was Jones really obligated to get Dak's okay for the trade? Every player in the NFL should know that it's a meritocracy, and that you start as long as you're the best player for your position. If someone else turns out to be better, then that player starts instead. That's how it is, and it's been this way for a long time. Dak got his job via the meritocracy. Romo had the job, but got hurt and couldn't do it until he healed. In the meantime, Dak played great, earning the job. Romo said as much in his press conference. It works both ways. If at some point Lance is the one playing the best football at the position, then he'll start. I don't think any player should ever be guaranteed his position no matter what. The starting quarterback is not part of ownership, management, or the coaching staff. He doesn't make decisions about signing players, so why would Jones consult him?
The head coach should be in on it, of course, but, if I understand it right, it was a case where the 49ers called about it, and Jones already knew that McCarthy had evaluated Trey Lance highly and they wanted him in that original draft. He could therefore make the deal already aware that McCarthy would be good with it. Plus, he would lose the deal to some other team if he let the 49ers hang up with no deal. At least that's how it went down if the media sources are reporting it accurately. It sounds different than the Terrell Owens deal where Jones just went out and got him, even though Coach Parcells didn't necessarily want him (if sources are to be believed).
I don't know, man. This particular deal doesn't seem to me like Jones was stepping all over his coaches toes like it seems he was in previous deals. As far as telling his quarterback, any player, quarterback included, should expect that someone might compete for his job. The game itself isn't the only competition. Players compete for positions. And, at this point, Lance is more competing with Cooper Rush for his job than he is for Dak's.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I mean this us pretty obvious. Mark said he doesn’t care about them not informing Dak, but the HC is completely different. Every player knows the FO doesn’t generally consult players about moves they are going to make.

It’s not about who is making the trade, it’s the fact that Jerry didn’t discuss with the HC. That’s the anomaly here and that’s what is obviously not standard practice at all for a professional sports team.
:hammer: :hammer:

Jarntt

Reaction score
People making an issue out of not telling Dak just don't understand Pro sports and come off as drama queens and alarmists. Who cares if he told him and screw any play that gets his feelings hurt over not being told (to be clear I'm not saying Dak did get upset over not being told). Now, not telling your HC when he is also your play caller and may have concerns about a particular skill set of his backup QBs that won't require changes in play calling and when it also impacts cutting another player because Grier was looking at the PS and Lance is on the 53 is just typical asinine Jerry if that's how it went down. Make the final call by all means but at least get your HC's input first. Supposedly he already knew McCarthy's thoughts on Lance and just didn't involve him on the machinations of the trade and the such, but still. Jerry's tragic flaw has always been wanting to be knows as a "football guy". Personally, I'd rather be known as a SB champ again, but Jerry has always been more about the spotlight than anything else and that ain't changing

Carson

Reaction score
Can’t wait for the 30 for 30.

”DALLAS. Couldve been a dynasty. But traded away a 4th round pick for a former 1st round pick”

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The hand ringing over this is bizarre.

Really is..

McClay has been money too.. If he approved of this then why is anyone super worried?

Where Dallas gets in trouble is when they let coaches pick players. Coaches are terrible at talent evaluation.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He has hated the Cowboys for a long time. I can remember getting irritated with him years ago. I dont follow him closely so maybe it's not always that way, but any recollection I have of him is crapping all over Dallas.

I do believe coaching and McClay should have had a heavy hand in this deal though. Don't get me wrong.

When Dallas asks their coaches to get involved in player personnel that’s when we get in trouble.

Let’s the scouts scout and coaches coach.

Big_D

Reaction score
When Dallas asks their coaches to get involved in player personnel that’s when we get in trouble.

Let’s the scouts scout and coaches coach.
They seemed pretty lost when Garrett was here. The HCs input is important and a big reason this team is in much better shape right now. The evaluations from the coaching staff are a major part of the process.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
They seemed pretty lost when Garrett was here. The HCs input is important and a big reason this team is in much better shape right now. The evaluations from the coaching staff are a major part of the process.
The Marinelli and Dan Quinn drafts were really bad.

Big_D

Reaction score
The Marinelli and Dan Quinn drafts were really bad.
Marinelli was a clown! 7 years and the D stunk. Dan Quinn is a big reason this D is top tier and they actually take DT seriously! You don’t just let the scouts pick the team without input from the coaches. That’s exactly what was happening for the most part of Garrett’s 10 years here.