Mark Schlereth rips Jerry Jones over Trey Lance trade

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
I think it is funny that the argument against the trade has mostly been boiled down to, "Jones did it on his own so it will fail."

I am not a fan of Jerry but it is just poor analysis.
Part of me agrees.

But the other part of me understands that Jerry undermines everything, and it permeates the culture of the Dallas Cowboys.

Some people, including myself, think this has been one of biggest culprits of failure over the last 28 years.

So while the merits of the Lance trade require a deeper analysis years from now, Jerry doing things on his own is still a problem. (That's all assuming he did this on his own)

Jipper

Reaction score
Evaluation during the draft two years ago, not evaluation of the same player two years later.
i don't think he specified either or (unless you caught different audio than i did). I took it as mike was part of the eval process in the near term and that he wasn't referencing the eval 2 years ago - however, that was my view on the audio but it was not explicitly stated otherwise (to my knowledge). Did you by chance hear it differently where he stated the "eval" process he was refering to was the draft process?

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
So this year's s**ting in the helmet is to be sponsored by Jerry Jones' trading a 4th for a back-up that will inconsequential to the outcome of this season. :thumbup:

I think the players on this team have enough respect for Mike to look back at the conclusion of this season and know that winning and losing was strictly on them and not due to behind closed door Wild-Catter negotiations.

Sad perspective from a guy who was a great player but very nearsighted as an analyst.
`

gtb1943

Reaction score
I think it is funny that the argument against the trade has mostly been boiled down to, "Jones did it on his own so it will fail."

Even a blind squirrel will stumble across an acorn now and then. I have no trouble with the trade; a fairly cheap pick for a lot of potential. Now this bit about MM not being asked is really a grey area; one problem many teams have is how much leeway do you give a coach as regards player acquisition? Some teams allow them a complete veto; others do not. I do find it hard to believe MM knew nothing about the possibility of getting him.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Part of me agrees.

But the other part of me understands that Jerry undermines everything, and it permeates the culture of the Dallas Cowboys.

Some people, including myself, think this has been one of biggest culprits of failure over the last 28 years.

So while the merits of the Lance trade require a deeper analysis years from now, Jerry doing things on his own is still a problem. (That's all assuming he did this on his own)
:hammer:

I interpret Coach Mac's statement as he knew about it and gave his blessing on the talent evaluation, but Jerry did the negotiating of picks.

But still doesn't take away from the undermining. Always something. Parcells turns ship around, here comes TO. Wade settles in, here comes Garrett. Big Mac settles in, here comes another Jerry appointed OC, Moore.

In Jerry's defense, sometimes he is unfairly blamed just because people now expect it. Parcells did a good job deflecting questions like that from the media. The other problem is no team relies on this GM/Owner position. So even if Jerry makes a move -- good or bad -- it always looks weird.

We are the Al Davis Raiders. Heavily involved owner, to a fault. Early success, years of losing and figuring it out, and then coming back but not quite able to get that Super Bowl magic back again.

Big_D

Reaction score
So this year's s**ting in the helmet is to be sponsored by Jerry Jones' trading a 4th for a back-up that will inconsequential to the outcome of this season. :thumbup:

I think the players on this team have enough respect for Mike to look back at the conclusion of this season and know that winning and losing was strictly on them and not due to behind closed door Wild-Catter negotiations.

Sad perspective from a guy who was a great player but very nearsighted as an analyst.
`
He’s just pointing out a pattern. Something Jerry always does. It’s not a matter of 1 move being the downfall of a season, but a domino effect of Jerry being foolish more often than not. The Lance trade is just another brick in the wall. Jerry always seems to figure out a way to undo anything good that’s happening here. At least that’s been the case for the majority of 30 years.

kevm3

Reaction score
Jerry undermining his coaches has been a long-running thing and I've gone in on him about this trade initially, but when I got the details, I can't really be mad at him about it. This is a qb they gave a high grade to at one point in time and they had an offer to get him for a 4th rounder. This is one of those, I'm not going to risk this deal slipping through my fingers type of situations.

I know we'd be going, "why didn't our front office do anything" if the Eagles got Trey for a 5th rounder.

Trey hasn't looked all that great playing, but he's young and has potential and may need to sit a while ala Romo. If not a starter, he could be a very capable back-up. I could see the Cowboys trying to develop him for 3 or 4 years behind Dak and then shifting Dak into coaching as an OC, as he did an excellent job his first time play-calling.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

you missed his point. an organization. any organization can't operate in individual silos. those organization that work well together, usually succeed. his point was the Jerry operated in a silo. if he is running individually doing things and the rest of organization does similarly, in small fashions, then they are not on the same page, operating together and that leads to short comings and disaster. this is exactly what happened. this is very similar to the Roy Williams trade. everyone in the organization back then told him they don't want him. Jerry played fantasy football, made the trade and we all know how it worked out.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score

That's not the analysis. I guess it's over your head.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I agree completely that Jerry is the achilles heel of the organization, but I do not get all the crying over this move at all. They spent a 4th rd pick on a talented kid who hasn't played much football but has huge upside. I am a Dak fan, but until you have a top 3-5 qb you should always be looking for one. There's no downside to this move. If I had to bet, I'd say he doesn't touch the field, learns the offense, plays well in the preseason next year. Then maybe there's some options. Make him qb2, tear up the rookie contract and resign him or shop him.
the having a top 3, 5 QB is not a pre-requisite. it makes it easier to get there. otherwise, there is only 3,5 teams competing for superbowl and everybody else go home. and sometimes when teams put it together, it makes it seem that QB is top 3,5. because it all comes together. Philly is a great example.

with that said, is Lance a top 3,5 QB? history in the NFL no less says otherwise. Jerry is taking a flyer, hoping to catch lighting in a bottle.

it also keeps Cowboys in the news. just see the headlines everywhere including on this very board. that was the other point of the trade. keep Cowboys relevant and in the news.

and lastly, I don't disagree. there is no downside. its a low cost gamble. SF lost in this deal because they traded multiple first round picks for a 4th round pick (essentially). the issue is Jerry operating in a silo. why wouldn't he discuss this with his coaches? scouts?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
As usual the Dak fans are looking for excuses.
They'll probably blame any struggles on bad morale in the offense because of the Lance trade upsetting Dak's friends.
:huh:
this response made zero sense. had nothing to do with the OP and the article. zero.

but I get it. Dak lives in your head. rent free. you can't go a moment in the day without thinking about Dak. without thinking about posting something on this board about Dak. trying to come up with clever new ways to bash Dak.
he occupies your mind. 24x7. Dak owns you
o_O

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
3 time SB champ, Mark Schlereth, totally disagrees with you. That's what this thread is about. Has nothing to do with Dak.
leeblair led a peewee t-ball team to their league championship. he understand leadership. he understands sport. he has led men. he was a business owner (who lost his business due to shoddy work). but regardless, he has led men. he understands leadership. what in the heck does Mark S. know about anything.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Been this way since Jimmy left.

Destroyed the 2nd half of Aikman's career, wasted one of if not the greatest roster ever assembled, and now has left us nearly 30 years of watching other teams hoist super bowl trophies.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Jerry undermining his coaches has been a long-running thing and I've gone in on him about this trade initially, but when I got the details, I can't really be mad at him about it. This is a qb they gave a high grade to at one point in time and they had an offer to get him for a 4th rounder. This is one of those, I'm not going to risk this deal slipping through my fingers type of situations.

I know we'd be going, "why didn't our front office do anything" if the Eagles got Trey for a 5th rounder.

Trey hasn't looked all that great playing, but he's young and has potential and may need to sit a while ala Romo. If not a starter, he could be a very capable back-up. I could see the Cowboys trying to develop him for 3 or 4 years behind Dak and then shifting Dak into coaching as an OC, as he did an excellent job his first time play-calling.
would any GM in the league go make trades or get players without discussing it with coaches and scouts?

Big_D

Reaction score
Been this way since Jimmy left.

Destroyed the 2nd half of Aikman's career, wasted one of if not the greatest roster ever assembled, and now has left us nearly 30 years of watching other teams hoist super bowl trophies.

Plus what Parcells was able to do in 4 years.. destroyed by Jerry in 3. There's definitely a pattern.

Flamma

Reaction score
I'm going to take a different path here. These guys get paid millions of dollars. Get over it. Don't beotch, do your job. There's no room for whining. Lets not be Carson Wentz.

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
He’s just pointing out a pattern. Something Jerry always does. It’s not a matter of 1 move being the downfall of a season, but a domino effect of Jerry being foolish more often than not. The Lance trade is just another brick in the wall. Jerry always seems to figure out a way to undo anything good that’s happening here. At least that’s been the case for the majority of 30 years.
Appreciate your well stated comment, Big_D.

I guess I buy-in to the comments regarding MM having given his approval on the players playing abilities. I sensed Jerry wanted to tell everyone that this was his call and he needed no approval, a la Jack Nicholson in 'A Few Good Men'. "You want Jerry on that wall, you need Jerry on that wall."

Also, I truly believe it's a move that doesn't have the potential to rock the boat for a couple years. Trey's not close to seeing the field and Dak will be extended/restructured. If the move is to be questioned, I would argue giving up a 4th in exchange for potential.