Mark Schlereth rips Jerry Jones over Trey Lance trade

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
no what is amazing is guy complaining about a pick that has potential to be very good. We have been wanting jerry to pick up a high prospect but not when dak is here. smh... and why would jerry consult mike? mike isn't going to go against jerry. sheesh, and ask dak, this has to be the stupidest question ever. jerry going to ask dak if he will be threatened or scared?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Mark Schlereth rips Jerry Jones over Trey Lance trade: ‘Cowboys will never win ****’​

https://nypost.com/2023/08/31/mark-schlereth-rips-cowboys-jerry-jones-over-trey-lance-trade/
If I may quote from that article....can you explian this to me?:

"
McCarthy told reporters that he had been part of the evaluation, but he was left out of the business end of the matter.

“’I really don’t care if you involve your quarterback in it or not,” Schlereth continued. “But to not involve your head coach. What does it say about your head coach? ‘Hey guys, I know he’s your head coach, but he truly has no authority within this organization. So, you don’t have to listen to him. You don’t have to pay attention because the buck stops with me. Your coach doesn’t have the authority to fire you. I do.’"

It sounds like MM did claim to be "involved" in discussions. Since when is a coach involved in the "business end"?

I don;t get why you're not supporting Trey....who cares how we got him?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All I know is one year ago today ,as a 49er, Trey Lance was a very talented and promising prospect who just needed more experience. A 3rd overall pick in the draft with every tool needed for success. The Niners were hailed as geniuses for jumping up to grab him. Fast forward 1 year. Lance sucks, he's a bust. Good riddance. The Cowboys wasted a pick. Jerry Jones is an idiot. Its just amazing how a guy can change teams and everyone in the media does a 180 on him. My professional opinion....Mark Schlereth sucks.
There's definitely some agenda-driven forces at play here. The M.O.s are aligning.

starfan1

Reaction score
spoken like a true ex commander. on a different note Im surprised this site sensors their former team name

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
So you think that Jerry was on the phone all by himself? I have seen nothing to indicate that McClay and Stephen were not involved.

And you are just saying that it was Jerry and Jerry sucks or in your words is "playing fantasy football."
for the most part. he did this and very very few people involved. its childish to ask if it was just jerry.

but again, an organization involves all the right key stake holders to make decisions like this. that's coaches for sure. was scouting dept. involved? I am not so sure if most of them were aware.

Jerry did play "fantasy football" with Roy Williams trade. nobody in the organization wanted Roy Williams, but Jerry thought he is going to solve the WR problems and made the trade. that was well established back then.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
there is virtually no downside to this trade despite what many say
Yep....I been wracking my brain trying to find a negative. I just can't get on board.

Many of the detractors had a hissy fit watching Coop run the team. We just...possibly...seriously upgraded backup QB...and still complaining.

And in a weird way to boot. "Jerry didn't tell anyone...this sucks! Undermining!"

:rolleyes::facepalm:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
If I may quote from that article....can you explian this to me?:

"
McCarthy told reporters that he had been part of the evaluation, but he was left out of the business end of the matter.

“’I really don’t care if you involve your quarterback in it or not,” Schlereth continued. “But to not involve your head coach. What does it say about your head coach? ‘Hey guys, I know he’s your head coach, but he truly has no authority within this organization. So, you don’t have to listen to him. You don’t have to pay attention because the buck stops with me. Your coach doesn’t have the authority to fire you. I do.’"

It sounds like MM did claim to be "involved" in discussions. Since when is a coach involved in the "business end"?

I don;t get why you're not supporting Trey....who cares how we got him?
The evaluation of Trey Lance was from 2 years ago during his pre-draft interview. Lance is definitely not the same player right now that he was back then. Clearly, you don't understand how it is so wrong not to consult with your head coach to see if TODAY'S TRADE PROSPECT IS WORTH PICKING UP FOR YOUR TEAM or not.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The evaluation of Trey Lance was from 2 years ago during his pre-draft interview. Lance is definitely not the same player right now that he was back then. Clearly, you don't understand how it is so wrong not to consult with your head coach to see if TODAY'S TRADE PROSPECT IS WORTH PICKING UP FOR YOUR TEAM or not.
Can you tell me where in the article it says that MM comment was two years old?

And even so....why is it you are suddenly so offended about the way Jerry runs his team? You new?

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
jerry should have told Mike so mike could tell Jerry that daks fragile ego might not be able to take this trade.

starfan1

Reaction score
Yep....I been wracking my brain trying to find a negative. I just can't get on board.

Many of the detractors had a hissy fit watching Coop run the team. We just...possibly...seriously upgraded backup QB...and still complaining.

And in a weird way to boot. "Jerry didn't tell anyone...this sucks! Undermining!"

:rolleyes::facepalm:
I believe a small faction (the usuals) are using trade to further their trolling agenda. I believe in this scenario both sides can be right if thats possible. He wasnt brought here to take Daks job. He was brought here to upgrade the back up position.. But if Dak falters and and is not willing to be more forthcoming with his negotiation tactics then the cowboys dont lose much (besides a boat load of money) and can move on. at this point there is a gap between them in favor of Dak but with some work I like Trey's upside and that gap can be minimized.

I still see an extension looming Daks contract was set up precisiely for it but Daks agent better plan on less money in his pocketbook. I care this much whether or not coach was told 0. but I think he was.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I believe a small faction (the usuals) are using trade to further their trolling agenda. I believe in this scenario both sides can be right if thats possible. He wasnt brought here to take Daks job. He was brought here to upgrade the back up position.. But if Dak falters and and is not willing to be more forthcoming with his negotiation tactics then the cowboys dont lose much (besides a boat load of money) and can move on. at this point there is a gap between them in favor of Dak but with some work I like Trey's upside and that gap can be minimized.

I still see an extension looming Daks contract was set up precisiely for it but Daks agent better plan on less money in his pocketbook. I care this much whether or not coach was told 0 but I think he was.
he was brought here for future. there is nothing wrong with that. can he? that's up to Lance. but some tend to want to already cover him with the anointing oil. he has to prove he can, and if he does, then we move on from Dak. I have been saying that Jerry should draft QBs in the first 4 rounds every few years, to develop and give himself leverage in negotiations which are inevitable. he screwed himself in the last negotiation as he had no other viable option.

will lance be a viable option? we just have to wait and see. so far his results are less than stellar. perhaps a fresh start will help him. who knows if it works out, perhaps Jerry will let Dak go. he may go somewhere and flourish and win a superbowl, just like a lot of other cowboys who went ont to other teams and won. and then Lance will be in Dallas and suffer in a Jerry led organization just like all the other QBs in the past 27+ years.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
:huh:why is this pick hurting the usual dak fanatics so much? if he ends up as a very good backup or the future, this should make all Cowboys fans happy. The complaining and crying about what Jerry should have done or not has an agenda tied behind it. Mike would never tell Jerry no, so why does this hurt so bad? strange, no really.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
:huh:why is this pick hurting the usual dak fanatics so much? if he ends up as a very good backup or the future, this should make all Cowboys fans happy. The complaining and crying about what Jerry should have done or not has an agenda tied behind it. Mike would never tell Jerry no, so why does this hurt so bad? strange, no really.
It's got nothing to do with Dak or Lance. Stop trolling. You intentionally do this crap all the time.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Can you tell me where in the article it says that MM comment was two years old?

And even so....why is it you are suddenly so offended about the way Jerry runs his team? You new?
It's on the internet. Even YouTube. Mike McCarthy was referring to the pre-daft evaluation he had done of Lance two years ago. McCarthy was even caught off guard pre-game this past Saturday by the media because Jerry never asked McCarthy for his opinion on trading for Lance.