Mark Schlereth rips Jerry Jones over Trey Lance trade

JonesBoys

Reaction score
This is new to Mark after 28 years? I like the move don't get me wrong but he should have talked with McCarthy. It does send the a message but everybody already knows this including McCarthy.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
do you think this would have been such a big deal if it was a kicker? Would Jerry have to talk to everybody on the team before picking up a guy? :huh:

DandyDon52

Reaction score
MM stated that he was in on the evaluation. Who knows exactly what all that entailed? I know a lot of people love to hate Jerry Jones, but it is not known whether this situation was worth the hell he's catching for it. If MM was part of the evaluation like he said he was, do you really think they didn't discuss MM's opinion and thoughts? I think Schlereth shot his mouth off and painted himself into a corner.
well this all happened very fast while jerry was on the phone , so how could mike be involved in this? even stephen was not in on it.
I think the eval mike mentions, was back when trey was drafted, he was on the dallas board. And mike was involved in making the board and
scores/value for each player.

This was jerry isolated and he made a deal on his own. SF made him a offer he couldnt refuse, lol but he had to make the deal or they were taking the
buffalo offer.
Imo they got jerry on the phone and played him like a fiddle. They got what they wanted, and were obviously happy with a 4th for trey, which to me
is a red flag. Jerry ignored that and bought him anyway.
I still question why SF decided to get rid of trey now, and so quickly, and only wanted a 4th tops for him, it is a big red flag.

Either SF just messed up bigtime, and are very very stupid, or jerry just messed up bigtime, and is very very stupid.

It has to be one or the other. My vote is on jerry being stupid, but who knows time will tell.

people here and elsewhere are ignoring the why part , on why SF let him go now and so cheaply, there is no answer for that,
we have to just speculate on the why,.
It seems to me they just decided he was never going to be a top franchise QB so lets get him off the roster.
But even that doesnt explain why so cheaply after he cost them so much to get.

Last edited:

LysleE

Reaction score
This is Jerry being Jerry…the guy who needs the attention and spotlight to be on himself and “America’s Team”. I don’t think any long-time fan is surprised by his antics.

I don’t know Trey Lance’s skill set or football acumen, so I cannot comment on the trade; but having a former #3 pick in the fold might be a motivator for Dak to step his game up to the next level and provide some legitimate competition; Lance certainly has the physical attributes that Rush is lacking.

Can Jerry honestly feel good about paying the starting QB $59MM for being a great leader with inconsistent play who cannot take the team to the next level? It’s not like Dak is having to do this by himself…he has had and does have offensive weapons at his disposal as well as a talented defense…for a couple of seasons. Perhaps a bit of hyperbole, but perhaps change is closer than we think. I don’t put anything past Jerry.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
do you think this would have been such a big deal if it was a kicker? Would Jerry have to talk to everybody on the team before picking up a guy? :huh:
it shouldn't be. is it important if the CEO decides to hire someone for the break room? vs. hiring VP of finance? its about the importance of position and what it means to the organization. there is a huge difference.
\
If Jerry was smart, he would talke to his coaches and Scounts. a good CEO never makes all the decisions. he hires good people and lets them run the company based on his principals and vision. Jerry didn't do that.

Sheepherder

Reaction score
Jerry is the GM and is not accountable to his coach or his QB.
GM=General Manager=The BOSS!!!!

I have never said Jerry doesn't run the show. Quite the opposite actually. I do agree with everything else you said.
Add to the fact that Jerry hired T.O. without talking to Parcells. Thats not the right way to operate a team. It's a distraction. 27 years of mediocrity because the owner has to be Mr. big shot and hog all the credit.

Last edited:

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
I think it is funny that the argument against the trade has mostly been boiled down to, "Jones did it on his own so it will fail."

I am not a fan of Jerry but it is just poor analysis.
It's poor analysis, but it may be a self fulfilling prophecy. Every organization needs buy-in from its members and when you don't include people in the decision-making process, that can be an excuse not to buy-in. So yeah...Jerry this may not work solely because of how you did it.

I am a guy who is glad that Jerry did it and I'm hoping it will work BUT...it's hard to argue the substance of what Schlereth was saying.

leeblair

Reaction score
As usual, you bring Dak up. What's up with that?

Someone must have really mistreated you as a kid.
In case you didn't read the article, it says Schlereth didn't like that Jones didn't let Dak know before trading for Lance.
Now there are Dak fans here just looking for reasons to pounce on and bash the acquisition of Lance because they fear that Jones might actually be tired of Dak's choking.
Now, you know this, so why do you ask such silly questions?

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
It's poor analysis, but it may be a self fulfilling prophecy. Every organization needs buy-in from its members and when you don't include people in the decision-making process, that can be an excuse not to buy-in. So yeah...Jerry this may not work solely because of how you did it.

I am a guy who is glad that Jerry did it and I'm hoping it will work BUT...it's hard to argue the substance of what Schlereth was saying.
Omgosh, a well thought out opinion. OG, you know those are not allowed on this forum. :)

Excellent point on your part.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
You have not been paying attention to me the past 2 years since Jerry caved in and overpaid Dak. I would like to keep Dak, but I can't stand overpaying for him. Yes, Dak is showing signs he's going to continue being greedy. Hope Jerry doesn't cave in this time, but this Lance player is terrible. I understand why Jerry made the move when it presented itself, but he seriously should have informed his head coach and gotten McCarthy's opinion before making the move and forcing a roster spot. It's the same ol Jerry refusing to give his head coaches some power and having a say on personnel and team decisions. How has thar worked out for the Cowboys the past 28 seasons?
agreed. If you can't trust the coach or care about his evaluation...why is he your head coach?

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
In case you didn't read the article, it says Schlereth didn't like that Jones didn't let Dak know before trading for Lance.
Now there are Dak fans here just looking for reasons to pounce on and bash the acquisition of Lance because they fear that Jones might actually be tired of Dak's choking.
:huh:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
It starts off with Schlereth mentioning Jerry not notifying McCarthy first, followed by Dak. He continued with...

“This is why the Cowboys will never win **** because Jerry Jones can’t help himself,” Schlereth said on the show. “I said it, it’s there.

“You think about Jerry Jones, you’re gonna go out there and you’re gonna make a trade for a guy without talking to anybody else in your organization, Steven Jones, your head coach Mike McCarthy, your quarterback.”

Schlereth, who played 12 seasons in the NFL with Washington and Denver, admitted that his issue wasn’t so much that Prescott wasn’t clued in as much as McCarthy wasn’t heavily involved.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
well this all happened very fast while jerry was on the phone , so how could mike be involved in this? even stephen was not in on it.
I think the eval mike mentions, was back when trey was drafted, he was on the dallas board. And mike was involved in making the board and
scores/value for each player.

This was jerry isolated and he made a deal on his own. SF made him a offer he couldnt refuse, lol but he had to make the deal or they were taking the
buffalo offer.
Imo they got jerry on the phone and played him like a fiddle. They got what they wanted, and were obviously happy with a 4th for trey, which to me
is a red flag. Jerry ignored that and bought him anyway.
I still question why SF decided to get rid of trey now, and so quickly, and only wanted a 4th tops for him, it is a big red flag.

Either SF just messed up bigtime, and are very very stupid, or jerry just messed up bigtime, and is very very stupid.

It has to be one or the other. My vote is on jerry being stupid, but who knows time will tell.

people here and elsewhere are ignoring the why part , on why SF let him go now and so cheaply, there is no answer for that,
we have to just speculate on the why,.
It seems to me they just decided he was never going to be a top franchise QB so lets get him off the roster.
But even that doesnt explain why so cheaply after he cost them so much to get.
I also think it's a bit deeper than that. It was lining up a shot and getting 2 for 1:

1. He sends a message to Dak:
  • Will Grier and Dak are close. So close apparently he basically lived with Dak. Well, guess who knows that and still made the move without telling either one? Dak is definitely going to take this personally and as an escalation of their cold war.
2. He scratches his "gl0ry h0le" itch. He needs to wildcat and since he got rich that way, he knows no other way than to trust his "superior instincts".

So, I think he saw leverage against Dak, petty revenge against Dak for taking his team hostage and an opportunity to "strike it rich" and establish his football bonafides. He didn't NEED a seconder...it's kinda why he bought the team.

We are so screwed...the only thing we can hope is that this blind squirrel will find a nut.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
nobody pounced on acquisition. the criticism was Jones doing things in a silo.,

but I get it. Dak lives in your head rent free. you are obsessed with Dak hate. 24x7, every minute all your think about. sad really since this is the only topic you ever post about.

Bigrandrn

Reaction score
Jerry is the GM and is not accountable to his coach or his QB.
GM=General Manager=The BOSS!!!!
We know this, but it just shows his continued arrogance to make a decision like this without consulting the head coach. He may be boss, but he’s not the talent evaluator he thinks he is.

plasticman

Reaction score
The very first thing we need to understand is that Mark Schlereth absolutely despises the Cowboys. He was an offensive lineman for the Washington "deleted" during the early 90's right smack dab in the middle of the Cowboys winning three super bowls in four seasons.

Therefore, you know that his opinions are heavily influenced by the deep, haunting, and relentless trauma of being nothing more than a steppingstone....a mere formality if you will, during his career. Every day he would turn on a sports TV channel and who where they talking about? America's team, of course.

It mostly likely drove him mad.

However......

Madman that he is, he's not wrong. Jerry should have given them a head's up. Jerry wanted to make sure that this trade was his baby and if it works out to where the Cowboys got a great QB on the cheap then Jerry won't hesitate describe it has his one man show. If it doesn't work out a few years from now it will all be quietly swept under the carpet.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Clown commentary by MS here. Get to grab a 23 year old former #3 pick that cost SF 3 number ones to get for a 4th rounder? Who doesn’t take that chance. It’s such a stupid comment you have to ask why?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I also think it's a bit deeper than that. It was lining up a shot and getting 2 for 1:

1. He sends a message to Dak:
  • Will Grier and Dak are close. So close apparently he basically lived with Dak. Well, guess who knows that and still made the move without telling either one? Dak is definitely going to take this personally and as an escalation of their cold war.
2. He scratches his "gl0ry h0le" itch. He needs to wildcat and since he got rich that way, he knows no other way than to trust his "superior instincts".

So, I think he saw leverage against Dak, petty revenge against Dak for taking his team hostage and an opportunity to "strike it rich" and establish his football bonafides. He didn't NEED a seconder...it's kinda why he bought the team.

We are so screwed...the only thing we can hope is that this blind squirrel will find a nut.
Wow, great info. It totally makes sense now. Thanks for sharing.