Mark Schlereth rips Jerry Jones over Trey Lance trade

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
:huh:why is this pick hurting the usual dak fanatics so much? if he ends up as a very good backup or the future, this should make all Cowboys fans happy. The complaining and crying about what Jerry should have done or not has an agenda tied behind it. Mike would never tell Jerry no, so why does this hurt so bad? strange, no really.
strange, has any coach ever, ever gone against what Jerry wanted besides maybe the Tuna? These yes-man coaches will agree with Jerry every time. :huh: I don't see any reason to be all upset about a pick that has its risks and rewards.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Can you tell me where in the article it says that MM comment was two years old?

And even so....why is it you are suddenly so offended about the way Jerry runs his team? You new?
My understanding is the same as AC's.
The Cowboys heavily scouted/evaluated Lance prior to the draft, hence the "I was involved in the evaluation" comment.

Now, a couple years later, Jerry made the decision to trade for Lance on his own.

My understanding came from listening to Jerry's words, posted here at the Zone.

It made an impression on me because I was happy about the trade and just assumed the HC would have been involved in the decision to bring this potential drama to the team at the beginning of such a promising season. Hearing that the HC had no input added some surprise and worry to my initial excited and happy.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
My understanding is the same as AC's.
The Cowboys heavily scouted/evaluated Lance prior to the draft, hence the "I was involved in the evaluation" comment.

Now, a couple years later, Jerry made the decision to trade for Lance on his own.

My understanding came from listening to Jerry's words, posted here at the Zone.

It made an impression on me because I was happy about the trade and just assumed the HC would have been involved in the decision to bring this potential drama to the team at the beginning of such a promising season. Hearing that the HC had no input added some surprise and worry to my initial excited and happy.
yep if they had evaluated him in the previous draft, Jerry would already know what Mike had to say about Trey. It's strange and confusing why some have a major problem with something that has already been discussed. Mike was probably ecstatic that Jerry could pick this guy up
cheap. :huh:

starfan1

Reaction score
he was brought here for future. there is nothing wrong with that. can he? that's up to Lance. but some tend to want to already cover him with the anointing oil. he has to prove he can, and if he does, then we move on from Dak. I have been saying that Jerry should draft QBs in the first 4 rounds every few years, to develop and give himself leverage in negotiations which are inevitable. he screwed himself in the last negotiation as he had no other viable option.

will lance be a viable option? we just have to wait and see. so far his results are less than stellar. perhaps a fresh start will help him. who knows if it works out, perhaps Jerry will let Dak go. he may go somewhere and flourish and win a superbowl, just like a lot of other cowboys who went ont to other teams and won. and then Lance will be in Dallas and suffer in a Jerry led organization just like all the other QBs in the past 27+ years.
no disagreement a 4th round flyer that may or may not work out. There is looming extension that Trey being here changes the tone of discussion though. especially if we lose in playoffs and dak is a huge reason why. I myself want the extension as I think we can win with dak. I think our team is better this year than last. I also will smile because it ticks off the haters that have infected this board. I dont see Dak as THE reason for our failures. he is one of them however cause he needs more around him then say a burrow would.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Call him an eagle fan because that is what you do when poster don't think like you do. Go ahead, call him an eagle fan...I know you want to...hurry now.
"if you don't like the trade, find another team" I think that is how it works?

I guess the scouting team and the coaches for the Cowboys never noticed Trey in the previous draft. They never discussed the guy. I blame the coaches for not discussing Trey when he was in the draft. :huh: I should listen to talk shows who are doing it for rating instead of logic on how the scouting team works. oh well, :huh:

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
yep if they had evaluated him in the previous draft, Jerry would already know what Mike had to say about Trey. It's strange and confusing why some have a major problem with something that has already been discussed. Mike was probably ecstatic that Jerry could pick this guy up
cheap. :huh:
I can see two sides to Mike's possible thinking.

Ecstatic to have to the talent and potential to develop.

Concerned about the potential drama in the QB room and from Jerry sticking his nose in throughout the season wanting to see his new toy in action and saying dumb stuff into a microphone.

Maybe even a little pissed this was dropped in his lap at arguably the worst possible time of the year. Mike needs to produce or he won't be around to help develop Lance.

DFWJC

Reaction score
So McCarthy WAS part of the Lance evaluation.
After that, its up to the GM and owner.

Oh, the drama around here

Captain-Crash

Reaction score

Mike has never heard of the guy. Our weak scouting team has never discussed the guy.

Now if the scouting team had called him prime rib or something to that effect, Mike would have remembered him.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
The all of me understands that Jerry is not all good or all bad. This absolutist all things Jerry fail is hat I was getting at in poor analysis.
No one is all anything, you're right.

And Jerry is plenty capable of making good moves-- despite the inability to achieve an SB or CG appearance, Jerry is perhaps more capable of making quality moves than a decent amount of other GMs.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

He was part of the evaluation 3 years ago preparing for the draft. You know, before he started playing for the 9’ers and ended up 3rd string?

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Can you ever act grown up? Seriously. This has nothing to do with Dak. It's about Jerry not consulting with his head coach and flat out telling the media in an angry tone that he didn't do so because it's his team and not anyone else's.
I call BS as this is nothing more than a veiled "I hate that Dallas traded for Lance as now Dak is scared/threatened" thread.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I call BS as this is nothing more than a veiled "I hate that Dallas traded for Lance as now Dak is scared/threatened" thread.
You said recently you were going to act better and stop calling out posters. Yet, here you are once again calling out posters on your made up accusations. I call BS that you are a man of your word.