Marshawn Kneeland. Waste of a 2nd Round Pick

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I'm pretty ambivalent about the Kneeland pick, but there was no one on the draft board that I really loved, so he's about as good as anyone else.

Athletically, Kneeland has all the goods. I've said it lots before, that DE is the most measurables-dependent position in football, and Kneeland checks all the measurables boxes. He's got speed - a 4.75 40 is a better than average time for his weight. He's got explosion. He's got awesome change of direction for a power end. And on tape, he's got plenty of strength. He's the complete package physically.

On tape... yeesh, I just don't like him. He's huge and rocked-up, his first punch knocks tackles straight back, and his first step is blindingly fast. So as I started watching tape, I kept waiting for him to go Superman. Maybe this is a slow quarter, but later in the game, he's just going to start destroying these blockers and playing like total stud. But it never happens. He just keeps bull rushing into linemen's chest and losing sight of the ball.

So on paper, he's got all the tools in the world, and even in-game, he shows a lot of tools . But he never actually pulls them together and starts beating tackles, even small-school tackles he physically overwhelms. He's a traits-over-tape dude with a lot of risk, but of course, that's why he was available at pick #56.

The payoff is that he could easily become a starting-caliber NFL DE if he pulls it together, and DE is a traits-over-tape kind of position, so I think the dice are loaded in our favor here.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
He gives then a good run stop guy and gives then an opportunity to play Parsons at linebacker.
Parsons is definitely going to get more looks at LB in Zimmer’s defense. This is your Edge opposite Lawrence. His skill set is perfect and much needed. Williams still looks primarily like a pass rusher. Too many finesse pass rushers last year. No one in the room except Lawrence capable of setting a decent edge. That‘s now changed.

timb2

Reaction score
Yep take a RB in the 2nd round :facepalm: coming off a gruesome knee injury in 2020, tearing his MCL, ACL, medial meniscus, lateral meniscus and hamstring all at once
Who ran a 4.39 at the combine.

75boyz

Reaction score
Go watch his tape. Read about how he performed at the Senior Bowl. See what some of the coaches had to say about him. Heck if you trust Dane Bruglar see where he had him rated. See how many snaps we lost in Fowler and Armstrong. See how desperate this team is in need of size and athleticism on the DL. If it still doesn’t make sense I don’t know what to tell you.
I did.
Yeah, this wasn't Khalil Mack blowing it up for small school Buffalo College tape.

This is a run defender DE whose numbers AND performance while in a league with Western Kentucky's level of competition should have had his play jumping off the screen at me.
It most assuredly did not.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
I did.
Yeah, this wasn't Khalil Mack blowing it up for small school Buffalo College tape.

This is a run defender DE whose numbers AND performance while in a league with Western Kentucky's level of competition should have had his play jumping off the screen at me.
It most assuredly did not.
Khalil Mack was a top 5 pick and franchise Edge player. Who the heck is comparing him to that ? We just see the player differently that’s fine. Dane Bruglar and Daniel Jeremiah had this kid in their top 50. Go look at his ESPN rating. Calling a guy so highly thought of as a wasted pick makes no sense to me.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
To the folks that believe they know more than the so called experts. Everybody gets it wrong from time to time. The title of this post is that we who desperately need an Edge player with some size and athleticis, were wasting a pick on this kid. Who many view as a 2nd round player. That makes zero sense to me.

75boyz

Reaction score
Khalil Mack was a top 5 pick and franchise Edge player. Who the heck is comparing him to that ? We just see the player differently that’s fine. Dane Bruglar and Daniel Jeremiah had this kid in their top 50. Go look at his ESPN rating. Calling a guy so highly thought of as a wasted pick makes no sense to me.
I was simply comparing an edge defender from a small school whose performance clearly warranted why he was picked so highly.

To the contrary, Kneeland's game tape against those same type lesser opponents did not impress me to the point of earning a 2nd round NFL DE draft grade.

So yeah,
I see a different player, no biggie.

Not concerned with Jeremiah or Brugler.

75boyz

Reaction score
I'm pretty ambivalent about the Kneeland pick, but there was no one on the draft board that I really loved, so he's about as good as anyone else.

Athletically, Kneeland has all the goods. I've said it lots before, that DE is the most measurables-dependent position in football, and Kneeland checks all the measurables boxes. He's got speed - a 4.75 40 is a better than average time for his weight. He's got explosion. He's got awesome change of direction for a power end. And on tape, he's got plenty of strength. He's the complete package physically.

On tape... yeesh, I just don't like him. He's huge and rocked-up, his first punch knocks tackles straight back, and his first step is blindingly fast. So as I started watching tape, I kept waiting for him to go Superman. Maybe this is a slow quarter, but later in the game, he's just going to start destroying these blockers and playing like total stud. But it never happens. He just keeps bull rushing into linemen's chest and losing sight of the ball.

So on paper, he's got all the tools in the world, and even in-game, he shows a lot of tools . But he never actually pulls them together and starts beating tackles, even small-school tackles he physically overwhelms. He's a traits-over-tape dude with a lot of risk, but of course, that's why he was available at pick #56.

The payoff is that he could easily become a starting-caliber NFL DE if he pulls it together, and DE is a traits-over-tape kind of position, so I think the dice are loaded in our favor here.
You watched the same guy I did.
Spot on brother.
So many prospects seem to win the underwear Olympics and the RAS metrics to get their foot in the door of the League.
Then they end up playing just like their college game tape in the pros too. There's a reason they got that saying film don't lie.
Look like Tarzan, play like Jane.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
I was simply comparing an edge defender from a small school whose performance clearly warranted why he was picked so highly.

To the contrary, Kneeland's game tape against those same type lesser opponents did not impress me to the point of earning a 2nd round NFL DE draft grade.

So yeah,
I see a different player, no biggie.

Not concerned with Jeremiah or Brugler.
Fair enough. My point is that calling a player that we obviously need a wasted pick when many think highly of him makes no sense to me, Time will tell. But that time certainly ain’t now.

75boyz

Reaction score
Fair enough. My point is that calling a player that we obviously need a wasted pick when many think highly of him makes no sense to me, Time will tell. But that time certainly ain’t now.
Fair enough. Opinions vary.

timb2

Reaction score
It's a wasted pick

deerhunter11

Reaction score
We drafted Demarcus Lawrence & Kendricks replacement, why are people upset? Kneeland is a run stopping, edge setting freak, we need that. He will work on his pass rush.

These are good picks, we've moved away from drafting RB's early

CHANGE IS GOOD
That is exactly right, and no injured players, that is a very good change. Great draft so far.Now we need RB DT WR CB.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I'm starting to warm up to Kneeland after watching more cutups. He's a brawler. I still don't know how he doesn't get off more blockers, but he beats them half to death first.

Last edited:

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Seriously? We need a Center and a RB and you pick a guy you could have gotten later .Who will be behind Parsons,Lawrence,and Sam Williams.. Way to go Mike Zimmer!!! YOU SUCK!!!
McClay needs to be held responsible.

He’s gone back to trying find diamonds in the rough.

It’s entirely possible this draft fails to produce a starter beyond Guyton (whom will be given a long leash).