Marshawn Kneeland. Waste of a 2nd Round Pick

cnuball21

Reaction score
It's weird. On tape, he looks stiff as a board, but his Combine drills show top-end change of direction.

I would rather bet on two years of film than on two drills in the underwear Olympics, but the dichotomy between them is stark. One of them's going to hold up in the NFL.
Yea…he looks fairly explosive and powerful but I only saw him actually win bending the edge like once. Assumed he was fairly linear then he crushed the short area drills.

Mikexike

Reaction score
I don’t put a lot of stock in those 1:1s…the OLmen are setup for failure kind of like DBs in 7 on 7.

I haven’t been able to find any game footage.
His play reminds me of maxx crosby, just not as good of a pass rusher, But motor and effort is on par.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I would just like to point out the OP @timb2 ’s last mock draft he posted

2- Braelon Allen RB Wisconsin
3- Hunter Nourzad C Penn State
3- Zion Logue DT Georgia
5-Gabe Hall DT Baylor
5- Mason McCormack OG South Dakota State
5- Xavier Thomas DE Clemson
5- Frank Crum OT Wyoming
6-Ricky Pearsall WR Florida
6- Beanie Bishop CB West Virginia
7-Austin Reed QB Western Kentucky
7- Millard Bradford S TCU
7-Willie Drew CB Virginia State
7-Ryan Berta C Queens

Again…if he doesn’t like a draft pick it should probably get you excited
I don’t know…if we got Ricky Pearsall in the 6th that would have been a great pick :laugh:

tm1119

Reaction score
To me the comp for Kneeland is George Karlaftis. I see them as extremely similar players in college.
Not saying that means Kneeland is automatically going to be as good as Karlaftis has been, but the blueprint is there for a player with his skill set

Denico Autry
Emmanuel Ogbah
Preston Smith
Dorrance Armstrong

Just saying there’s 100% a president for long armed, powerful DE’s that aren’t the prototypical twitched up pass rushers to be highly successful nfl ends.

cnuball21

Reaction score
To me the comp for Kneeland is George Karlaftis. I see them as extremely similar players in college.
Not saying that means Kneeland is automatically going to be as good as Karlaftis has been, but the blueprint is there for a player with his skill set

Denico Autry
Emmanuel Ogbah
Preston Smith
Dorrance Armstrong

Just saying there’s 100% a president for long armed, powerful DE’s that aren’t the prototypical twitched up pass rushers to be highly successful nfl ends.
Ehh - I’d strongly disagree on that one. Maybe similar build, power and motor but Karlaftis had a lot of tape winning the edge and having a pro ready pass rush toolkit. He was advanced for a rusher coming out and Kneeland is the complete opposite of that.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Ehh - I’d strongly disagree on that one. Maybe similar build, power and motor but Karlaftis had a lot of tape winning the edge and having a pro ready pass rush toolkit. He was advanced for a rusher coming out and Kneeland is the complete opposite of that.
Walterfootball compared him to Jonathan Greenard...

tm1119

Reaction score
He’s less athletic and his winning the edge also didn’t show up in terms of production. So you’re suggesting that you e extensively watched Kneeland and he didn’t win the edge? Which games did you watch?

cnuball21

Reaction score
He’s less athletic and his winning the edge also didn’t show up in terms of production. So you’re suggesting that you e extensively watched Kneeland and he didn’t win the edge? Which games did you watch?
Yes, I’ve watched him more than any of our selections since the weekend. Vs Iowa and Syracuse plus other analyst cut ups. Very, very rare you see him actual when outside bending the edge. His go to is a bull rush and an arm over move.

Not the case with Karlaftis.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
I’m not sure why we find the need to sell a pick to our fan base. It’s ok if someone doesn‘t like the pick. Also ok for those of us that really like the pick.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
I watch the guy's film and his strength/instincts as a run defender are fantastic. He may never be all that much as a pass rusher, but if he can chip in 4-6 sacks a season and man up against the run I will be thrilled.

Kneeland was not picked to be a standout pash rusher, because that's not his game. They picked him to be a brick house against the run and based on what I've seen in his film he should be able to bring it.
Don’t think he’s going to be a double digit sack guy. But he reminds of a more atletcic Michael Bennett. The power and explosiveness is his calling card. I think his best football is ahead of him.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
I would just like to point out the OP @timb2 ’s last mock draft he posted

2- Braelon Allen RB Wisconsin - 4th Round
3- Hunter Nourzad C Penn State - 5th Round
3- Zion Logue DT Georgia - 6th Round
5-Gabe Hall DT Baylor - UNDRAFTED
5- Mason McCormack OG South Dakota State - 4th Round
5- Xavier Thomas DE Clemson - 5th Round
5- Frank Crum OT Wyoming - UNDRAFTED
6-Ricky Pearsall WR Florida - 1ST ROUND
6- Beanie Bishop CB West Virginia - UNDRAFTED
7-Austin Reed QB Western Kentucky - UNDRAFTED
7- Millard Bradford S TCU - UNDRAFTED
7-Willie Drew CB Virginia State - UNDRAFTED
7-Ryan Berta C Queens - UNDRAFTED

Again…if he doesn’t like a draft pick it should probably get you excited
So, the OP is mad that a guy that many of the "experts" had as a 2 Rounder...got picked in the back half of Round 2. Yet, his wonderful final mock had a 1st Rounder available in the 6th and a multitude of guys that were 4th Rounders or later (with the vast majority being undrafted)...hmmm.
:facepalm:

speedkilz88

Reaction score

Denico Autry
Emmanuel Ogbah
Preston Smith
Dorrance Armstrong

He actually is still described as twitched up. 40 times should really be ignored for edge guys. 10, shuttles, 3 cones should be looked at.

tm1119

Reaction score
Yes, I’ve watched him more than any of our selections since the weekend. Vs Iowa and Syracuse plus other analyst cut ups. Very, very rare you see him actual when outside bending the edge. His go to is a bull rush and an arm over move.

Not the case with Karlaftis.
We’ll agree to disagree there. I won’t argue that Karlaftis was a more advanced hand fighter, but I don’t think he has/had any significant “bend around the corner with speed” to his game. Certainly not in the category of high level pass rusher.

cnuball21

Reaction score
We’ll agree to disagree there. I won’t argue that Karlaftis was a more advanced hand fighter, but I don’t think he has/had any significant “bend around the corner with speed” to his game. Certainly not in the category of high level pass rusher.
Fair enough, agree to disagree.

John813

Reaction score
Honestly, he wasn't really on my radar but it felt good reading the Dolphins board and how many wanted him, even in the first round.