Marshawn Kneeland. Waste of a 2nd Round Pick

Carter

Reaction score
We needed a Run stopping D-Liner and the good DT that are good against the Run like Fiske, Hall, Sweat and Jenkins were gone.

Jonathan Brooks would have been the pick but he was gone too.

So i see what they did there but i just dont feel like this guy will be more than a rotational player and this is pretty bad for a 2nd Round Pick who you expect to get a full time starter.

His stats are bad and even if he wasnt a Pass Rush Freak he should have better stats in a Pub Conference like he played in.

Would have picked Ennis Rakestraw myself. Lions got a big time steal. He was projected in the Top 30.
I

cnuball21

Reaction score
We needed a Run stopping D-Liner and the good DT that are good against the Run like Fiske, Hall, Sweat and Jenkins were gone.

Jonathan Brooks would have been the pick but he was gone too.

So i see what they did there but i just dont feel like this guy will be more than a rotational player and this is pretty bad for a 2nd Round Pick who you expect to get a full time starter.

His stats are bad and even if he wasnt a Pass Rush Freak he should have better stats in a Pub Conference like he played in.

Would have picked Ennis Rakestraw myself. Lions got a big time steal. He was projected in the Top 30.
I
Yea, I just struggle seeing more of a run plugging DE which you can get later in the draft. Hope he’s a worker and the coaches can develop him into a serviceable pass rusher.

In hindsight Why not just take Braswell? Fairly similar athlete and heavy handed base DE but also much better pass rush production in the best conference in football. Rakestraw would been a good one and even Beebe freeing up that 3rd rounder.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
There is a reason why he was rated very high by consensus, many believe he is an upside pick where his best football is ahead of him. Don't think Zimmer and the Cowboys just envision a two down run player, they must feel like he has pass rush potential.

cnuball21

Reaction score
There is a reason why he was rated very high by consensus, many believe he is an upside pick where his best football is ahead of him. Don't think Zimmer and the Cowboys just envision a two down run player, they must feel like he has pass rush potential.
Fingers crossed…Dane is one of the best IMO and had him at 32.

All he needs to do is become an NFL average pass rusher and it’s a hit IMO. 7/8 ish sacks a year with good pressure numbers and high end run D.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Will McClay:

[Round 2, DE Marshawn Kneeland: “The No. 1 thing about him is the high effort and motor that he plays with. Then to be physically talented enough to play at this level. … The more you watch him, the more you see NFL traits and then you see the traits that we are looking for on the defensive side, playing hard all the time and having the ability to rush the passer outside and inside. As hard as (DeMarcus Lawrence) played at Boise State, there are some similarities there.”

Screen-Shot-2021-04-20-at-11.02.52-PM.png

Last edited:

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Fingers crossed…Dane is one of the best IMO and had him at 32.

All he needs to do is become an NFL average pass rusher and it’s a hit IMO. 7/8 ish sacks a year with good pressure numbers and high end run D.
He is more of a power rusher, then a speed one, where both types have been successful in this league. I just took a look at Michael Strahan's ras numbers for comparison:

4.94 40 Yard Dash - 4.75
2.83 20 yard - 2.77
1.65 10 yard - 1.65
32.5 Vertical - 35.5
4.47 Short Shuttle - 4.18

Total 9.12 compared to 9.08

They are pretty similar athletes based on their testing numbers, where Strahan also came from a small school entering the draft and was a former 2nd rd pick as well.

Not saying he is going to be the next Strahan, but he has the same athletic numbers that translate.

cnuball21

Reaction score
He is more of a power rusher, then a speed one, where both types have been successful in this league. I just took a look at Michael Strahan's ras numbers for comparison:

4.94 40 Yard Dash - 4.75
2.83 20 yard - 2.77
1.65 10 yard - 1.65
32.5 Vertical - 35.5
4.47 Short Shuttle - 4.18

Total 9.12 compared to 9.08

They are pretty similar athletes based on their testing numbers, where Strahan also came from a small school entering the draft and was a former 2nd rd pick as well.

Not saying he is going to be the next Strahan, but he has the same athletic numbers that translate.
The athletic comps are fun…but Strahan had 40+ sacks in college. It was also a completely different era back then.

I agree the athleticism is solid but again the lack of production is eye popping. And he if he has the athleticism to bend the edge why. doesn’t it show up on film more?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The athletic comps are fun…but Strahan had 40+ sacks in college. It was also a completely different era back then.

I agree the athleticism is solid but again the lack of production is eye popping. And he if he has the athleticism to bend the edge why. doesn’t it show up on film more?
Don't disagree about lack of production, but there is a ton of untapped potential. It's up to the coaches and the player to reach it. His floor might be a quality run defender, but his ceiling could be pretty good.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Don't disagree about lack of production, but there is a ton of untapped potential. It's up to the coaches and the player to reach it. His floor might be a quality run defender, but his ceiling could be pretty good.
Sure that’s fair.

rambo2

Reaction score
A lot of people like the Kneeland pick. It will be interesting who turns out to be the best player between Kneeland and Trey Benson.

cnuball21

Reaction score
A lot of people like the Kneeland pick. It will be interesting who turns out to be the best player between Kneeland and Trey Benson.
I’ll be watching Braswell and Rakestraw as the guys I would’ve drafted instead.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Yea, I just struggle seeing more of a run plugging DE which you can get later in the draft. Hope he’s a worker and the coaches can develop him into a serviceable pass rusher.

In hindsight Why not just take Braswell? Fairly similar athlete and heavy handed base DE but also much better pass rush production in the best conference in football. Rakestraw would been a good one and even Beebe freeing up that 3rd rounder.
Braswell only had 10.5 sks for his career (8 as a senior). He also seems to be alergic to run stopping. NFL.COM projected him as a designated pass rusher.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Braswell only had 10.5 sks for his career (8 as a senior). He also seems to be alergic to run stopping. NFL.COM projected him as a designated pass rusher.
Dude had double the sacks as Kneeland and 20+ more pressures in his full season as a starter against the best competition in college football.

Agree he needs to improve as a run blocker but the ceiling is higher IMO.

If you want a run blocking DE you don’t take him with a premium pick.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I feel like we already drafted our "try hard" lineman in Vilami Fehoka last year.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Won't know if he's a wasted second round pick for at least a year or two. How many players were drafted and didn't live up to expectations, or outdid their expectations?

Judging a player right after he's drafted (unless it's like Jaylon Smith, who very likely could have been drafted by Dallas much later in the draft) is way jumping the gun on it....

cnuball21

Reaction score
I feel like we already drafted our "try hard" lineman in Vilami Fehoka last year.
Honestly Fehoko is probably a much more realistic comp than Tank.

Similar size and athleticism and play profile. Difference is Fehoko had big production as a small schooler and Kneeland had very small production.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Kneeland is a an elite athlete that has raw tools to develop, there is a reason why many view him at top 50 prospect where Fehoko was more of a day 3 player with limited upside. I think Kneeland can become an Epenesa type player at the very least.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Kneeland is a an elite athlete that has raw tools to develop, there is a reason why many view him at top 50 prospect where Fehoko was more of a day 3 player with limited upside. I think Kneeland can become an Epenesa type player at the very least.
Epinesa might be a decent comp…but again he had massive sack / TFL production in a power 5 conference. Also seeing how he’s panned out would you use a premium 2nd round pick on someone like him?

I wouldn’t.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would just like to point out the OP @timb2 ’s last mock draft he posted

2- Braelon Allen RB Wisconsin
3- Hunter Nourzad C Penn State
3- Zion Logue DT Georgia
5-Gabe Hall DT Baylor
5- Mason McCormack OG South Dakota State
5- Xavier Thomas DE Clemson
5- Frank Crum OT Wyoming
6-Ricky Pearsall WR Florida
6- Beanie Bishop CB West Virginia
7-Austin Reed QB Western Kentucky
7- Millard Bradford S TCU
7-Willie Drew CB Virginia State
7-Ryan Berta C Queens

Again…if he doesn’t like a draft pick it should probably get you excited
Wow.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Epinesa might be a decent comp…but again he had massive sack / TFL production in a power 5 conference. Also seeing how he’s panned out would you use a premium 2nd round pick on someone like him?

I wouldn’t.
Our defense really struggled stopping the run, especially in those outside runs where our defensive ends struggled to set the edge. If he allows the defense to see more 3rd and longs, any pass rush is a bonus. Can he become a 6-8 sack type of player? I think so.