McCarthy and Zimmer won't attend Combine

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
So we’re not going to fully utilize free agency OR the draft to build a better team.

Makes sense
McClay is our draft guy, for better (Lamb, Bland, Diggs, Ferguson, etc.) or worse (Charlton, Joseph, Wright, etc.).

1942willys

Reaction score
I think Will mclay is very good. One of the best> well maybe. Of course we know who makes the FINAL decision on who gets drafted and often it is NOT him.

No matter what some here claim.

Jerry makes the final decision as long as he is around.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
lol nice spin job. They’re a part of the vote. That’s the important part. Makes the rest completely irrelevant.
And that’s the ONLY part you said. So are you ignorant of how they vote or did you just lie to try and make a point.

gimmesix

Reaction score
One of the best in football.
He deserves the credit for the successes and the blame for the failures. Fortunately, our drafting is on a pretty good level. We have some misses to complain about, but so does every team. If the rest of our player acquisition methods lived up to our draft level, we'd have a very solid roster.

Now, since McClay is over player personnel, the rest of the acquisitions are also his responsibility, but when you are given $1,000 and told to go buy the best car you can find, the expectations are different than if you'd been given $100,000. Of course, I'm not sure how much input McClay has into the Joneses' philosophy about bringing in free agents. For all I know, he could be a major proponent of it, which would make him just as guilty as they are of neglecting an area of roster building.

gimmesix

Reaction score
It makes sense. They don't pick the players anyway.
They might get a little cute every now and then, such as Jerry wanting Manziel, but they pay McClay to be the guy to tell them who to draft. I'm unsure what the coaches' role in that is, other than maybe telling him these positions are what they need the most and this is the type of player they like for their scheme. And I don't think the Joneses really do much more than sign off on the picks (although I'm sure they are in on the discussions about needs and give their input).

Like last year, I think McCarthy and Quinn both wanted a big DT. Don't think that was a Jerry and Stephen thing at all, except maybe in agreeing with them. McClay's team identified Mazi as the top one with the potential to be more than just a 1-tech, but knew we would have to take him in the first round based on their projections if we wanted him. Like with Tyler Smith, they saw enough promise with Mazi to take him there, even though some draft "experts" questioned if he should go that high. It worked with Tyler but hasn't yet with Mazi. Of course, defensive linemen can be slower to adjust to this level than offensive linemen, so who knows how it will turn out. I think the team wanting to Mazi to get his weight down to try to help his get-off was a bad decision, but I wouldn't think that's on McClay.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It makes sense. They don't pick the players anyway.
Yeah the head coach and defensive coordinator have no influence at all.

I'm sure guys like Nahshon Wright and Eric Scott Jr. are here despite anything Dan Quinn had to say about it.

Chasing6

Reaction score
The desperate defenders of the status quo always come up with things like that to focus attention on that the continued failure of Jerry and his minions to be TRULY RELEVANT.
I could care less about Jeruh. It is a fact that rule changes were made in both cases after the season.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score

Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy and defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer will not be attending next week’s NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis.

McCarthy: “Zim and I will have a full week together here and cover a lot of ground with things we’re working on. At the same time, we can still participate in the combine process and have direct contact through video calls and meetings, while having our coaches on the ground there as well.”

Just another sign this coaching staff or this organization doesn't care about winning.....it's a disgrace the way they handle business. :facepalm:

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
In this day and age it probably really isn't necessary with video conference calling and all that. Plus Will McClay does a good job scouting (except last year).
:lmao:........His track record of misses on day 1 and 2 is impressive

Mazi Smith
Luke Schoonmaker
Viliami Fehoko

Sam Williams
Jalen Tolbert
Matt Waletzko
Kelvin Joseph
Chauncey Golston
Nahshon Wright
Jabril Cox
Josh Ball
Neville Gallimore
Trysten Hill
Connor Williams
Taco Charlton
Jaylon Smith
Malik Collins

Frankly......I think it speaks for itself...... McClay is part of the problem. :banghead:

rambo2

Reaction score
Just another sign this coaching staff or this organization doesn't care about winning.....it's a disgrace the way they handle business. :facepalm:
Lol, you have got to be kidding. The coaches will be working and trying to get better. They can get more accomplished by staying at home and working.

Big_D

Reaction score
Got us to the 2 spot. We just need a little improvement and get up to the 1 spot and advance in the playoffs.

I do appreciate the optimism. lol I just don't see it. Specially if they're sitting on their hands through the first month of free agency. That will be a telling time on how serious they are.

rambo2

Reaction score
I do appreciate the optimism. lol I just don't see it. Specially if they're sitting on their hands through the first month of free agency. That will be a telling time on how serious they are.
They aren't sitting on their hands. They will sign 2 linebackers and a defensive tackle. They aren't going to get caught short at linebacker this year.

Big_D

Reaction score
They aren't sitting on their hands. They will sign 2 linebackers and a defensive tackle. They aren't going to get caught short at linebacker this year.

That would be a good start but we'll see? I do think Zimmer will be able to find a few guys he likes or worked with before without breaking the bank.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The Cowboys have enough qualified scouts to assess their needs well, without MM and Zimmer being present at the Combine. They'll need to come up with plans and schemes to maximize their performances in TC and the season yet to come. LB, OL, and RB will be dutifully attended to by the scouting department.

Last edited: