McCarthy is happy with Trey Lance, and so is Jerry

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
My bad...you are right that we did and no one took up. I had my wires crossed.

That said...my eye test tells me Rush can start on most teams if they got over their current draft pick crush. Again, you're not making a long-term investment in him (franchise), but that's the issue many of these teams have. They are not looking for a starter, they are looking for "franchise"...but if you look at competent starters...many of these teams are wishing on a star. Cooper Rush is better than the guy they currently have, but they see upside. Sometimes the upside never happens.

For example, Carson Wentz is a backup....way more highly touted and physical gifts than Cooper Rush. But if you were to ask me who I want as my backup/starter if Dak went down...it's easily Cooper Rush for me. So again...saying Trey Lance can't beat out Cooper Rush is no dis. Cooper Rush is no slouch...that's my point.
Im ok with that opinion, i dont share it totally, Rush is a QB to me you have to guard all game from him needing to make a play...when he is needed to make a play things will go very bad because he just doesn't have the arm to make NFL downfield plays without putting the ball at a lot of risk. Trey Lance just is not a good QB in the NFL...again my point is this FO has once again put themselves in a horrible situation at QB.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
How did he do better with the same team Dak had?

He had a 58 percent completion percentage which is one of the worst in the league and passed for 5 TD's and 3 Interceptions lol while averaging a whomping .7 yards per rush attempt.

Come on OG SCHOOL ME and take me to class fam. You not on it this morning.
Again...you cited every unflattering stat except this one:

4-1. Won on the road. Didn't get shook. 4th quarter drives. No deer in the headlights.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
NO...you're trying to create ARTIFICIAL separation between Dak and Rush because Dak doesn't have real accomplishments to stand on. He took Dak's team and did as well and so now you crap on Rush at every turn. Again, I'm not saying Dak is better than Rush...Rush has some physical limitations. But when a few of us say the same about Dak - he's no scrub, but he's not as physically talented as the top QBs in the league - yall get mad and defensive. But unlike you, I'm not inflating Rush's accomplishments by saying he is a viable/potential starter on the QB carousel for half the teams in the league who are not set at the position.

Dak is a JAG too. He can win some games if you put talent around him, but we're about to see what he can do when he has no #1 and you ask him to win without a run game. That's why you are running around crying about free agency AND paying Dak at the same time. Dak can't do it alone...he's a JAG. So is Rush...just a bustdown Dak.
What? Are you delusional?

This argument started because I said Lance can't start over Rush lol. And you're trying to justify the statement by making Rush out to be a starter in this league and he's not. Rush is not a bad QB. Lance is. Rush is just a guy. But Lance.....if he ever hits his potential would be a better QB with Rush. He has some physical tools that Rush just can't do. But he doesn't have Rush's brain or feel for the game.

Dak's play speaks for himself. We don't need a hater like your a lover like me to define his game for him.

He's a MVP candidate, All Pro who has a 2-5 playoff record. That's it. Your "eye test" can't define him. That's what his resume says. It bothers you inside that you can't define him what you want. But you can't. You aren't qualified to. Check his resume. Good and bad. Check it. It tells you what Dak is. This stuff isn't hard.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Wow...you're gone bro.

Look just because you have undying loyalty for Dak doesn't mean the rest of us need to have undying loyalty to the player we want to replace him. Can't speak for @MountaineerCowboy, but I'm loyal to a standard. I respect that he's seen enough...although I would give Trey more time/training/attention. I would not give him more money though...and that decision is coming soon.

That said, you keep hiding behind IRRELEVANT NUMBERS. Confidence is a zero sum game...either you have it - and they have it in you - or they don't. Period. Equivocation is a lack of confidence in the NFL. The organization, the players, his teammates have all expressed and experienced DOUBTS about Dak...and you trying to hide behind "best since xyz" is poppycock. It's a distraction from the issue of CONFIDENCE.
Some fans can’t quit Dak. It’s a maturity issue at this point.

They think that if they admit out loud that Dak just isn’t the guy then they are somehow less of a Cowboys fan. That’s why they call the ones that do “Eagle fans” or what not. They are scared of saying the truth out loud out of the fear of the same hatefulness they helped to create.

They also are just incredibly stubborn. They have been shown a loser for almost a decade now but because they have spent so much time and energy defending him that, in their minds, they must now see it to the bitter end.

Some are married to their opinion of him at this point and they think he’s going to find them one day and give em a nice pat on the head for going down with his ship.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Again...you cited every unflattering stat except this one:

4-1. Won on the road. Didn't get shook. 4th quarter drives. No deer in the headlights.
4-1 is not his stat lol. If it is his stat make sure you also bring up when he faced a credible team in the Eagles he had 3 interceptions and sucked and we lost since you want to give team performance his credit make sure you give the bad losses to him to.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score

This argument started because I said Lance can't start over Rush lol. And you're trying to justify the statement by making Rush out to be a starter in this league and he's not. Rush is not a bad QB. Lance is. Rush is just a guy. But Lance.....if he ever hits his potential would be a better QB with Rush. He has some physical tools that Rush just can't do. But he doesn't have Rush's brain or feel for the game.

Dak's play speaks for himself. We don't need a hater like your a lover like me to define his game for him.

He's a MVP candidate, All Pro who has a 2-5 playoff record. That's it. Your "eye test" can't define him. That's what his resume says. It bothers you inside that you can't define him what you want. But you can't. You aren't qualified to. Check his resume. Good and bad. Check it. It tells you what Dak is. This stuff isn't hard.
To me its even easier than this for us Cowboys fans...Dak is gone, by his own choice he is leaving (cant really blame him)...to that end this FO is once again doing a horrible job of being ahead of the problem..we should have better than Lance and Rush in camp when Dak's leaving has been written on the wall for some time now.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score

I had NOTHING to do with Rush vs Lance debate. In fact, in my first response to you I implied Rush is better by saying, "It's no dis" that Trey can't beat him out...acknowledging that he can't. So...again...you are all over the place as usual.

MVP "candidate". 2nd team all-pro in a down year for QBs. Whatever...the team/org/players all look at him side-eyed. THAT TOO is reality. You are citing a past record that can't be erased...true...but ignoring the CURRENT REALITY that player's families are publicly mocking the "all pro", "mvp candidate" that you love.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
4-1 is not his stat lol. If it is his stat make sure you also bring up when he faced a credible team in the Eagles he had 3 interceptions and sucked and we lost since you want to give team performance his credit make sure you give the bad losses to him to.
Oh...so now it's A TEAM STAT? So we are no longer going to cite Dak's rookie year on a stacked team, are we?

GAME-SET-MATCH

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Im ok with that opinion, i dont share it totally, Rush is a QB to me you have to guard all game from him needing to make a play...when he is needed to make a play things will go very bad because he just doesn't have the arm to make NFL downfield plays without putting the ball at a lot of risk. Trey Lance just is not a good QB in the NFL...again my point is this FO has once again put themselves in a horrible situation at QB.
They have. And i think it hit them harder watching Lance this weekend. They don't want to draft and develop a guy. They wanted to invest a measly 4th round pick in a quarterback who at one point was worth a 1st rounder(they had a 2nd round grade on Lance btw ) and get a franchise QB. To speed up the process. Not how it works. Lance can't play. Rush is just a guy. And Dak may or may not have a future here and even he comes with his struggles in the postseason he's yet to overcome. Not many QB rooms can say they have a Rush and Dak in them but no one can say their whole QB room doesn't have a contract from next year lol.

starfan1

Reaction score
To me its even easier than this for us Cowboys fans...Dak is gone, by his own choice he is leaving (cant really blame him)...to that end this FO is once again doing a horrible job of being ahead of the problem..we should have better than Lance and Rush in camp when Dak's leaving has been written on the wall for some time now.
day late $$ short every time. They did the same thing with Romo and lucked into dak, The years after Aikman till Romo were painful. But hey feel reassured since jerry said no one can do it as good as he ***** can. I feel so much more confident :laugh:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I had NOTHING to do with Rush vs Lance debate. In fact, in my first response to you I implied Rush is better by saying, "It's no dis" that Trey can't beat him out...acknowledging that he can't. So...again...you are all over the place as usual.

MVP "candidate". 2nd team all-pro in a down year for QBs. Whatever...the team/org/players all look at him side-eyed. THAT TOO is reality. You are citing a past record that can't be erased...true...but ignoring the CURRENT REALITY that player's families are publicly mocking the "all pro", "mvp candidate" that you love.
You said its no diss to Lance because once again you're trying to make both guys out to be something they aren't. You verbatim said Rush could start for 15 teams in this league. This is what you said. You still haven't listed the 15 teams but aye no need to we already know that every team in the league had a chance to sign Rush for a minimum contract and they said no.

So the NFL players listed Dak as a top 15 player.....but you are citing Lamb's mom as a credible source for determining how good or bad Dak is? That's pathetic lol.

You can keep throwing this "love" thing around but i'm far more objective then anyone who thinks Rush and Dak are the same caliber. That's idiocy that even his biggest haters wouldn't agree with.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
day late $$ short every time. They did the same thing with Romo and lucked into dak, The years after Aikman till Romo were painful. But hey feel reassured since jerry said no one can do it as good as he ***** can. I feel so much more confident :laugh:
I know....our owner is the biggest Troll ever and saying that in this place means something...

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Oh...so now it's A TEAM STAT? So we are no longer going to cite Dak's rookie year on a stacked team, are we?

GAME-SET-MATCH
I never cited Dak's rookie year what are you talking about lol?

But we can.

Thea team won 4 games in 2015. All of those great weapons like Dez, Witten, Beasley.....all of those great weapons were good enough to win 4 games...that great and stacked offensive line in its prime.....4 wins.....

Dak comes in 2016 takes over a 4 win team with the addition of Zeke and they win 13 games. Cite that 2016 season if you want to but that's not what you want lol.

Like I said if you want to cite Rush's 4-1 season that's fine but make sure you cite that when he faced a credible team he had the worst game of his career. Thanks.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
He’s only going to get better.
Heard that about more quarterbacks (and other players) than I can count.

He MAY get better. He may not as well.

Don't have the optimism some do. As far as Jerry is concerned, of course he's going to say he's happy with Lance. Lance could have went 10 for 40 for 120 yards and 6 ints and Jerry would say the same thing. Lance is another of the "I'm going to show everybody I'm smarter than any other NFL gm" player acquisition. Another Randy Gregory, Jaylon Smith, etc.

Wangchung83

Reaction score
He seems to be getting worse. Went from starting in San Fran to not being able ti beat out Sam Darnold for a backup job.
Did Darnold actually beat him out? Don’t recall Darnold have far superior numbers last preseason, but do remember them being equal with Trey costing them more than Darnold and only playing Trey for trade value. Just pointing out everyone says Darold beat him out but it’s like no one watched San Fran games last preseason.
Here’s the big x score for each game and as you can see Lance didn’t get beat out

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Did Darnold actually beat him out? Don’t recall Darnold have far superior numbers last preseason, but do remember them being equal with Trey costing them more than Darnold and only playing Trey for trade value. Just pointing out everyone says Darold beat him out but it’s like no one watched San Fran games last preseason.
Here’s the big x score for each game and as you can see Lance didn’t get beat out

Are you gonna look at a box score and determine if he got beat out or are you gonna listen to Kyle Shanahan himself?

Breaking the news to a player that he’s either been demoted or lost a positional battle has to be high on the list coaches dread the most. 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan joined KNBR Tuesday evening to explain his decision as to why he went with Sam Darnold over Trey Lance to be his backup quarterback:

“They were neck and neck for a long time, but really over these last 10 days, we felt Sam started to separate himself. We felt he did it in practice consistently, and has been getting better each day.”

This is Shanahan's words not mine.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score

The HC decided to bench the guy he traded 3 picks for a move up to get him....so with all that reason to not bury him in the depth chart the HC still chose Sam Darnold over Trey Lance...thats just the facts ...

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Sure. The teams that currently have their "Trey Lance" starting but would quickly upgrade if 1) the arrow isn't pointing up on their current guy and 2) they had a chance at the playoffs. This happens every year. It's all dependent up on the available QBs...but there only like 12-14 locked in/competent QBs...and the rest are on a carousel. And Rush could definitely step in and do what Baker Mayfield does...or some of these other stop-gap backups like Menshew.
So you are saying Rush is at the same level as Baker? Even Minshew is a more accomplished backup. Here are questions marks, but not really:

Denver: job is taken
Tampa: Baker- In no way is Rush at the same level, and if so I guess he will get a massive contract from somebody soon
NYG: Jones- And he sucks, but NYG will be after Dak in FA next year, right? So, they would take Rush as well
Patriots: Have their franchise QB
Vegas: They would hand the reigns over to Rush over Minshew? LOL
Saints: Carr
Seattle: Geno
Titans: Levis
Vikes: Darnold due to injury. Maybe an argument here

We can discuss 2 jobs he may start over the current QB, again I ask, who is else is he better than?