McCarthy is happy with Trey Lance, and so is Jerry

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Whats crazy is despite the 5 I ts it was 1 possession game so I fuess something had to go right on defense and the offense.

Still though, where's the accountability? 5 Ints would doom many players roster spot and there's praise?
I actually didn't get to watch until last night and I was just expecting awful passes all game. Not what I saw. He made one bad decision on the 2int in the end zone. And an inaccurate/bad pass on the 5th int to close the game. But the first and 3int were just great defensive plays and the 4th the wr let the ball be pulled out of his hands. There is a lot to work with there with Trey. His running is way better than I expected. His arm is good. I think the more he plays they better he'll get. I think the more comfortable he gets with staying in the pocket, the less throwing off his back foot we'll see which might lower the high throws. Not sure if he'll get those snaps in Dallas. I hope they are able to keep him at a reasonable number so that happens.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Lance had really poor pass protection in his last outing. It made his problems almost forgivable. Besides, he has Jerry on his side. ;)

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
You had been tooting his horn all summer, even leading into this game. You claimed he was the future and when he got off to a good start on Saturday, you said you would extend him for $65 million for 4 years. Didn’t take long for you to bail on him. :laugh:
As I said,

I don’t need a decade worth of loser to recognize a loser.

Unlike you Dak fans I am capable of changing my mind about someone.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
As I said,

I don’t need a decade worth of loser to recognize a loser.

Unlike you Dak fans I am capable of changing my mind about someone.
They trying to trash talk you, but you clearly haven't kept up the charade with Lance like certain posters have with Dak. They want to label you a hypocrite, but they can't do so honestly on this issue.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The Cowboys understand that Trey Lance needs game time, but they appear very satisfied with his progress to date.

"He continually gets better every time you give him a chance," McCarthy told reporters via The Athletic's Jon Machota. "I think that says a lot about him. He's just a young guy that needs to play. I think he'll play in this league for a long time." (AZ Sports)

As far as Jerry Jones, he was quoted as saying, “I saw some good, and I saw some things you’d like to have back,” Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said, per Pro Football Talk. “I hate that those five interceptions are going to be a stat on a game that I couldn’t have asked for more reps and a better situation to watch him play. He needed that because the one thing he’s missing more than anything is the lack of reps much less NFL reps. Certainly, we’re planning on him being on our roster for sure.”(Trevor Woods,Yardbarker)

Yesterday's outing was more than likely one in which Lance was encouraged to take chances in order to learn what he could and couldn't do.

Well, now i agree with @Bobhaze Jerry is an idiot!

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
McCarthy agreed with Jerry?

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?????????

Next your gonna tell me that the boot licker club agrees with Jerry.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Then Dallas announcers made a commemt that Trey was on the 3rd center in the game. As well, he worked with the 3rd team C most of the PS games.

We seen how that affected some plays. No continuity from a starting C.
I don't disagree with you very often, but....I don't agree. Most preseason games are played with multiple backups. This excuse doesn't fly. One, maybe two miscues...OK, but 5 ints and a couple bobbled snaps? No....not saying he can't get better, but do we want him to take a roster spot, with no contract for next year to learn?

The squealers are gonna have fun with this one. Squeal!

jwitten82

Reaction score
Does not fit their narrative.
Lol Romo had whole games in preseason where he looked like he belonged in the NFL. Lance has a couple throws a game, huge difference. Lance has shown no improvement and if it wasn't for the 4th round pick that was traded, he would be gone. He's not even backup material at this point.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
They trying to trash talk you, but you clearly haven't kept up the charade with Lance like certain posters have with Dak. They want to label you a hypocrite, but they can't do so honestly on this issue.
I think they’re a little jealous of anyone that’s not married to an opinion like they are.

I don’t need a decades worth of evidence to know when someone isn’t the answer.

When the name on the front of the jersey matters more than the name on the back of the jersey it’s easy to move on from players.

starfan1

Reaction score
You had been tooting his horn all summer, even leading into this game. You claimed he was the future and when he got off to a good start on Saturday, you said you would extend him for $65 million for 4 years. Didn’t take long for you to bail on him. :laugh:
LOL hes worried hes losing trolling material. Nothing more he'll find something else. Remember this? "we want lance , we want lance" . Good times!! :laugh:

John813

Reaction score
"He is young"

I challenge anyone to find a young QB of any age or experience level who threw 5 picks in a preseason game. That wasn't normal. Don't let the Cowboys gaslight you into thinking "yeah, this is how young players develop".

Anyone playing QB in the pros has been doing it for a long time, had tons of practice and in the preseason isn't seeing anything near NFL level intensity.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

The Cowboys understand that Trey Lance needs game time, but they appear very satisfied with his progress to date.

"He continually gets better every time you give him a chance," McCarthy told reporters via The Athletic's Jon Machota. "I think that says a lot about him. He's just a young guy that needs to play. I think he'll play in this league for a long time." (AZ Sports)

As far as Jerry Jones, he was quoted as saying, “I saw some good, and I saw some things you’d like to have back,” Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said, per Pro Football Talk. “I hate that those five interceptions are going to be a stat on a game that I couldn’t have asked for more reps and a better situation to watch him play. He needed that because the one thing he’s missing more than anything is the lack of reps much less NFL reps. Certainly, we’re planning on him being on our roster for sure.”(Trevor Woods,Yardbarker)

Yesterday's outing was more than likely one in which Lance was encouraged to take chances in order to learn what he could and couldn't do.

so you took a media coaches speak and trying to create hope for yourself because you are desparate and hate Dak. its an emotional reaction more than a rational reaction.

All Jerry was trying to do was create a trade market for Lance. and MM is doing the same. in reality, they would have cut him next week and be done with it. but trying to recoup something in return for a wasted 4th rounder.

all QBs take chances. but not stupid chances. it was obvious he couldn't see the field or the defenders and had narrow vision. a real QB wouldn't make those throws.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Jerry is a dummy, but he's not dumb enough to see that the current generation of franchise QB's are built like Trey is. Right or wrong he is probably scared to death to quit on Trey at this time in fear of him becoming something. Heck we all are in some sort of Fantasy Fooball/Baseball pool and I get accused of refusing to trade players especially young rookies who I hold on to for years in fear of trading them and getting burned. My last big trade was Aaron Judge for basically a bag of pine tar, and the guy I had to replace him is a p/t time player lol
you mean Mahomes and Burrows are running QBs?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I actually didn't get to watch until last night and I was just expecting awful passes all game. Not what I saw. He made one bad decision on the 2int in the end zone. And an inaccurate/bad pass on the 5th int to close the game. But the first and 3int were just great defensive plays and the 4th the wr let the ball be pulled out of his hands. There is a lot to work with there with Trey. His running is way better than I expected. His arm is good. I think the more he plays they better he'll get. I think the more comfortable he gets with staying in the pocket, the less throwing off his back foot we'll see which might lower the high throws. Not sure if he'll get those snaps in Dallas. I hope they are able to keep him at a reasonable number so that happens.
and the excuses continue.