McCarthy is happy with Trey Lance, and so is Jerry

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Then Dallas announcers made a commemt that Trey was on the 3rd center in the game. As well, he worked with the 3rd team C most of the PS games.

We seen how that affected some plays. No continuity from a starting C.
Yup.

Lance needs reps with the 1s.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is his 4th season, but he missed a lot of football because of the broken hand (2021) and leg (2022)

And he’s young. 24?

They obviously have QB1 plans for Trey.
That is their mantra .... 4 years 4 years .....
Maybe saying 8 years 8 years will make a point ... no, doubt it ... :muttley:

McKDaddy

Reaction score
As far as the picks were concerned, I saw one poor decision. That was the pick in the end zone
Agreed. I stopped watching around the 8-10 min mark of the 4th so I only saw two picks. Yes, this was clearly a bad decision there was no chance of a completion. He does need to learn to throw it away rather than try to force something. But I expect mistakes from a guy in his situation.

Otherwise, I saw a ton of positive plays. I feel much better about his growth and potential. For a fourth round pick, the organization should be pleased.

Flamma

Reaction score

The Cowboys understand that Trey Lance needs game time, but they appear very satisfied with his progress to date.

"He continually gets better every time you give him a chance," McCarthy told reporters via The Athletic's Jon Machota. "I think that says a lot about him. He's just a young guy that needs to play. I think he'll play in this league for a long time." (AZ Sports)

As far as Jerry Jones, he was quoted as saying, “I saw some good, and I saw some things you’d like to have back,” Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said, per Pro Football Talk. “I hate that those five interceptions are going to be a stat on a game that I couldn’t have asked for more reps and a better situation to watch him play. He needed that because the one thing he’s missing more than anything is the lack of reps much less NFL reps. Certainly, we’re planning on him being on our roster for sure.”(Trevor Woods,Yardbarker)

Yesterday's outing was more than likely one in which Lance was encouraged to take chances in order to learn what he could and couldn't do.

Let me ask you something. What do you think Lance's ceiling is? If not elite, then that's what we already have. Guess what Lance will want if he has one decent season. Not even a great season, a 2022 Daniel Jones type season. He's going to want market value. We'll be in the same situation.

erod

Reaction score
He's the third QB, so who cares? Doesn't hurt anything to keep him around.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
A pick is a pick and when we hold that against Dak than we should hold it against Trey.

The difference is, one is supposed to be a proven 8 year veteran at the height of his performance, the other is basically a rookie with no real game experience. So I don't know why the Dak fans are celebrating here. Trey doesn't seem to be the replacement a lot of people had hoped for, which makes it even worse that QB1 won't take us all the way.

But that's not the issue. The issue is that Jerry doesn't seem to have a real plan, which he communicates to his coaches and players. Whether it's going all in with Dak (using draft picks for trading for high profile RB and DTs) or using the season for giving Trey the chances he needs to develop (17 regular season games) doesn't matter to me. But this sitting in the middle and doing nothing is what really gets on my nerves this summer. I bet you guys, once Dak and the 'boys have won a couple of games into the season everything is alright again and they will sell themselves as true SB contender once more.

What a farce.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
No one was overly critical of Dak until his weaknesses had shown up in real games many times.
Overly critical of Dak comes with the territory. My point is that same criticism isn’t given to Lance.
I’ve been defending Dak on this site since 2016 when people claimed he’s not capable of throwing for over 200 yards consistently.

Lance is a 4 year pro and a project lol. Dak struggled in real game and Lance struggles in preseason games. They aren’t alike.