Twitter: McClay to remain with Cowboys

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
What about the Mazi Smith bust. Total disaster. ***??? And Schoonmaker? Really??? We would be winning super bowls had we hit on many of these busts.
We can get carried away, though.

SI has us as the fourth-best drafting team over the past five seasons (2023 not included). ESPN had us fourth in 2022 since 2012. PFF says we've been one of the best in the first round.

Every team has failures. It's the percentage of successes to those failures that matter. I mean, there's a thread about the All-Pro teams on here and Tyler Smith is second team. That pick was scoffed at a year ago.

CowboysDrew

Reaction score
The title of GM is meaningless when he basically operates as the GM here.

Except he doesn't. He has no authority to make a single decision a GM makes.
It's very clear it's meaningless to him and has been for a long time. He doesn't care if Jerry rubber stamps his drafts.

The point is the guy likes his job. There's something to be said for someone that demonstrates some loyalty and doesn't try to shoe horn himself into something he's not.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
I just don't understand. This is a talented roster filled with Cowboys picks. They have brought in 5 current all pro's in the last 4 years. Hell, the guy they wanted this year (LaPorta) is an all pro. Do some people live in a world where teams have 20 all pro's? Where their favorite baseball players hit 0.951?

If people want to bash Jerry/the Cowboys for the train wreck that was 1995 to 2005 or so or the Jason Garrett experience, go ahead. I'll be there right with you. The team has been pretty well run lately and the results bear that out.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's very clear it's meaningless to him and has been for a long time. He doesn't care if Jerry rubber stamps his drafts.

The point is the guy likes his job. There's something to be said for someone that demonstrates some loyalty and doesn't try to shoe horn himself into something he's not.
It's an odd way to show how meaningless it is to you when you participate in job interviews for the position.

It's almost like you're making things up to paint a picture you want to see.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Definitely does not seem to be our personnel department's strength. Maybe we should just draft all DTs to give ourselves a better shot of finding at least one.
Free agency or trade for one on a bad team.

Id send a 2nd to Washington for Payne

Dallasfann

Reaction score
No, working for Jerry is not hard. Being a fan of a team Jerry owns is hard. Garrett couldn't coach a pop warner team but kept his job for a. Decade. Nothing hard about that.
When did Jason Garret get offered a promotion from another team while he was here but decided to stay?

CowboysDrew

Reaction score
It's an odd way to show how meaningless it is to you when you participate in job interviews for the position.

It's almost like you're making things up to paint a picture you want to see.
He literally just refused job interviews.

He refused interviews with the Texans in 2018 and Lions in 2016.

Whom did he interview with that I'm missing?

gimmesix

Reaction score
I just don't understand. This is a talented roster filled with Cowboys picks. They have brought in 5 current all pro's in the last 4 years. Hell, the guy they wanted this year (LaPorta) is an all pro. Do some people live in a world where teams have 20 all pro's? Where their favorite baseball players hit 0.951?

If people want to bash Jerry/the Cowboys for the train wreck that was 1995 to 2005 or so or the Jason Garrett experience, go ahead. I'll be there right with you. The team has been pretty well run lately and the results bear that out.
I do think that you have to consider that one reason the roster is filled with Cowboys picks is the Joneses are cheap in free agency. Some of those spots on other teams are taken by high-caliber FAs. For example, does anyone think a player like Gallimore would be on this team if Jerry had forked over what it would have taken to bring in Javon Hargrave. (He might, though, because we likely would not have drafted Mazi in the first round.) We keep more homegrown talent than other teams because we only bring in cheap FAs who usually can't knock them off the roster (i.e., Ronald Jones II).

Mr_437

Reaction score
Great news, now the focus can go to the team winning these Playoff games. Big time offseason coming up, glad McClay will be steering the ship.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Free agency or trade for one on a bad team.

Id send a 2nd to Washington for Payne
We wouldn't bring in better than we have in free agency. There is some hope with trades because we did go get Gilmore and Cooks that way this year and Hankins last year. But I think we've shown that we're looking for cheap value trades with late-round picks.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
I do think that you have to consider that one reason the roster is filled with Cowboys picks is the Joneses are cheap in free agency. Some of those spots on other teams are taken by high-caliber FAs. For example, does anyone think a player like Gallimore would be on this team if Jerry had forked over what it would have taken to bring in Javon Hargrave. (He might, though, because we likely would not have drafted Mazi in the first round.) We keep more homegrown talent than other teams because we only bring in cheap FAs who usually can't knock them off the roster (i.e., Ronald Jones II).
I don't think this is as big of a problem as people make it out to be. If you look at the all pro list, there aren't a ton of players acquired by free agency. Free agency is frequently a wash out league wide. There are a few names acquired via trade, like Hill and McCaffrey but they were acquired with a boatload of picks.

The Jones boys really aren't wrong that free agency is a sucker's bet. Realistically, its not fair to the players. The NFL is a young man's game and a lot of your best years are spent on your rookie deal. The Cowboys figured this out after a decade or two.

Every team has the same payroll. The team that wins is the one that spends it the most wisely. Free agency is not conducive to that.