Mini Camp Notes

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
line play in shorts and shells means very little; we will have to wait until camp to see how this all shakes out
Sure. But it also shows you they are letting Green and Cooper battle it out.

Eventually, Cooper will win the job. Green will eventually get pink eye, a hangnail or a debilitating yet mysterious skin rash that will sideline him for weeks.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah Stash, this is my train of thought on this too.
Get everybody reps in different positions in OTA's and Minicamp so they are comfortable later when the pads come on. We want/need our O-line to be dominant again this year - no learning on the job, so the guys who are gonna be 2 position players/swing players etc. It makes perfect sense to give them reps now. Will be really interesting if Cooper goes back to LG, backup center. Does Green play more RT in camp, backup LG. Does Collins stay at RT, or LG, backup tackle.
Initially I was all for keeping Collins at LG, but have loved what we have heard so far of him at RT. Seams they are all going to be position flex guys apart from the established starters - Smith, Fredbeard and Zac.
And we haven't even mentioned Bell, who has lost a bunch of weight and is supposed to be moving really well. So will he be playing in camp at RT, backup RG ? (Doesn't need so much cross training, as he has played both positions a lot).
Seems like we have plenty of bodies, now camp will determine who plays where, and what we have seen so far may not be where any of them play the majority of camp !
Apart from maybe Mister Collins !

Listening to the most recent interview with Linehan, that's exactly what he said. Position flex now, and put them where they'll be playing at training camp.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It bothers me that any realistic view point is looked at negatively. Do we all have to be unrelenting homers?

Nick Foles record season was far better than Dak's statistically. Very similar situations too. Best O line in the league with a RB tearing the league apart and very talented guys at the recieving positions. To just ignore the similarities would be foolish imo
Better have thick skin around here. Of course, we're homers, it is a Cowboys forum. :huh:

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It bothers me that any realistic view point is looked at negatively. Do we all have to be unrelenting homers?

It's adorable that you think the Nick Foles comparison is 'realistic.' Or that people who laugh at it are 'unrelenting homers.'

Foles had one of the biggest whip-lash seasons in league history, going from a probowl QB to a guy who was widely criticized for bailing from the pocket early and throwing poorly down field and off his back foot under pressure a year later when his team then turned on him and traded him away that following season. Suggesting that's likely to happen to Dak because it happened to PHI once does not make you a realist. And laughing at the suggestion doesn't make them homers.

McGillicutty

Reaction score
I see more similarities between the rookies seasons of Prescott and Ben Rothlisberger than I do with Prescott and Nick Foles (who wan't a rookie at all).

Doesn't mean Prescott will have Rothlisbergers career success. Only that their rookie years were similar.

Foles played in a gimmick offense that had opposing defenses off balance for awhile. And Foles took full advantage. Once defenses adjusted, Foles (and Chip) had no answer. So Foles regressed to nothingness, where he remains today.

Prescott runs an NFL power running style offense that's worked (on and off) for decades. It's a tried and true system. No gimmicks here.
I would say Foles and Dak are more similar in terms of their arms. Both have kind of weak arms that would rely on touch throws and couldn't really throw guys open the way Ben can. Dak is definitely miles ahead of Foles in terms of escapability and picking up yards on the ground. I can kind of see the Ben comparison in terms of that.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
I would say Foles and Dak are more similar in terms of their arms. Both have kind of weak arms that would rely on touch throws and couldn't really throw guys open the way Ben can. Dak is definitely miles ahead of Foles in terms of escapability and picking up yards on the ground. I can kind of see the Ben comparison in terms of that.
Well it's up to Dak to show that he's not a one year wonder and I'm optimistic that he will do so

McGillicutty

Reaction score
It's adorable that you think the Nick Foles comparison is 'realistic.' Or that people who laugh at it are 'unrelenting homers.'

Foles had one of the biggest whip-lash seasons in league history, going from a probowl QB to a guy who was widely criticized for bailing from the pocket early and throwing poorly down field and off his back foot under pressure a year later when his team then turned on him and traded him away that following season. Suggesting that's likely to happen to Dak because it happened to PHI once does not make you a realist. And laughing at the suggestion doesn't make them homers.
Best O line in the league

Best running game

High level recieving options

Ran more than everybody else

Threw less than anybody else.

Weak arms

Came out of nowhere to surprise everybody

Anomalaus stats (Foles were actually much better)

The similarities are abundant, choosing to ignore them doesn't make them any less valid.

I guess we'll have to wait and see but i wouldn't be shocked in the slightest if Dak regresses this year

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Completely fair and not at all crazy to think you'll be right.

I just don't see why considering the flip side of that is "trolling"
That's the way it is on fan forum bro. Things here tend to be more positive than neutral or negative. I.e. There are certain topics that get the natives riled up here ( myself included): jaylon smith on his health, is dez a top 5 wr, tank lawrence, ect.....

You'll adapt and see the dynamics here. But I gotta tell you, this is absolutely the best cowboys forum. So if you like cowboys talk, this is the place to be.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Best running game

Weak arms

The similarities are abundant, choosing to ignore them doesn't make them any less valid.

I guess we'll have to wait and see but i wouldn't be shocked in the slightest if Dak regresses this year

Nobody, not even the most unrelenting homers, suggested their situations weren't similar in that they had support during their great seasons. Acknowledging that doesn't make you any more realistic than anybody else.

The league is full of guys who had good years at QB with good protection and good running games who went on to have good second years with good protection and good running games. It's much, much more the norm than having the opposite happen.

(For the record, Dak doesn't have a particularly weak arm. Coming out of nowhere to surprise people is irrelevant. And I have no idea what you're suggesting re: 'anomalous stats'). If you're rattling off a list of similarities that are irrelevant you forgot 'has legs' and 'plays football.'

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Best running game

Weak arms

Where is Chuck Barris when you need him?