Mistake not giving Kelvin Joseph PT

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I don't disagree that Joseph should get some reps in garbage time situations and if Dallas beats Washington we may see him play a lot the last two games. But if I recall the preseason games he played it looked to me like he and Brown have some similarities in technique. Neither play the ball. I think with Joseph it just may be an experience issue. Once he gets some playing time he probably will play the ball more. But it is something only playing time can tell us.

You would think once we run off in some of these games they’d let him play a series here and there to get some real experience but I guess we are just banking on everyone staying healthy.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Not comparing my football coaching experience to anyone on the college or professional level in any way. So let me state that from the start.

But, there are fundamentals and concepts that are transferrable on any level.

With that said, when you have an immensely talented player who can't get on the field, there's something wrong behind the scenes.

Whether it's a massive grunge by the coach, boosters feeding the program money, bad attitude, lack of comprehension, it's something. Generally speaking, a coach is going to put his most talented players on the field.

I remember a few kids who were immensely talented on our football team. One kid was fast as all get out. We tried to put him at running back. But every time he saw the defender ready to make a tackle, he'd get wide-eyed and make a B-line to the sidelines. On ... every ... play. His speed was useless because he was scared to get hit.

Another kid was the perfect size for a linebacker. But he wouldn't attack the hole. He was scared to tackle. I mean, the hole would part like the Red Sea and the running back would head his way, and he would slide behind another defender, acting like he misread the hole. No, he didn't want to tackle.

One dad, noting his physical talent, asked me why we didn't put him in the game. He thought it was egregious the kid wasn't starting. I told him, "Do you REALLY want to know why he's not on the field." I began to explain what we saw in practice.

I said all this to say Kelvin Joseph is immensely talented - faster than Anthony Brown.

If he's not on the field now, there's a reason. Maybe he simply is not ready. I doubt very seriously Dan Quinn is withholding playing time from him because he just doesn't want KJ in the game.

Robster8989

Reaction score
totally agree
Bossman needs to get game reps

Based upon what, his draft position?
He needs to earn it with his play and it appears the coaches don't feel he has.
Brown has been really solid at times and he has looked like trash at times, but Joesph has done nothing to earn the PT, even though it is there for the taking.
He wasn't good in camp, then had a nagging injury, came back and then had a personal absence, then came in and got ejected from a game. He's built no resume to deserve an NFL starting job.
Look, I hope the kid becomes a pro bowler, but as of now, he has done nothing to deserve PT other than being a high pick.
He was frankly in a great position to come in and take Browns starting spot after the Raiders game, and he just wasn't ready.
I trust that Quinn wants the best players on the field and looks like right now he doesn't feel Joseph is one of them.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
It’s about the playoffs now. It is unlikely we get the one seed because I can’t imagine the Packers losing to Cleveland, Minnesota, or Detroit. I would rotate all the corners for the next three games. Mix and match Brown in the slot. Have the Oregon St. kid playing as well. Playing Stafford, Brady, Murray, Jimmy G, and Rodgers in the playoffs will be a nightmare if one Diggs and Brown twist an ankle.

The Packers barely beat the Ravens with a backup QB playing his second game. And GB needed help from the refs to get the win. I can see GB losing a game or two.

Looks like Balt might be coming to a fork in the road. Lamar Jackson or Huntley? Pay Jackson $40M/year or trade him for some picks and go with Huntley?

baltcowboy

Reaction score
The Packers barely beat the Ravens with a backup QB playing his second game. And GB needed help from the refs to get the win. I can see GB losing a game or two.

Looks like Balt might be coming to a fork in the road. Lamar Jackson or Huntley? Pay Jackson $40M/year or trade him for some picks and go with Huntley?
Lamar will get his money, the Ravens are all in. This is similar to the Dak situation. The Ravens want to pay him but Lamar wants to be the highest paid player in the league. Huntley is a good backup. He played well against Buffalo in the playoffs but we will not know how good he is until teams start game planning for him.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Lamar will get his money, the Ravens are all in. This is similar to the Dak situation. The Ravens want to pay him but Lamar wants to be the highest paid player in the league. Huntley is a good backup. He played well against Buffalo in the playoffs but we will not know how good he is until teams start game planning for him.

Personally, I would go with Huntley and get what picks I could from Jackson. Putting $40M+/year on a QB with a slender physique who isn’t accurate is way too much risk for me. Especially when Huntley can put up similar numbers/results at 1/20th the cost going forward.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Personally, I would go with Huntley and get what picks I could from Jackson. Putting $40M+/year on a QB with a slender physique who isn’t accurate is way too much risk for me. Especially when Huntley can put up similar numbers/results at 1/20th the cost going forward.
Jackson is a unique quarterback and only fits the Ravens. They love him in Baltimore. He saved lots of jobs three years ago. Huntley might get another chance this weekend.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Jackson is a unique quarterback and only fits the Ravens. They love him in Baltimore. He saved lots of jobs three years ago. Huntley might get another chance this weekend.

I am outside Balt and know how much Balt loves Jackson. At some point, Balt will realize that square peg just won’t ever go into that round hole. Things could change if the Ravens don’t make the playoffs this year and next.

DUO_CORE

Reaction score
With it being the Christmas season and Dak gift wrapping late game pick 6's and fumbles we can't take a chance on playing the backups.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
He got 20% of the defensive snaps vs Atlanta. Quinn has said he feels Joseph is coming along and catching on with the defense and said he is comfortable in putting Joseph out there if need be.

All you have to know about the acumen of people pining for him is they think he has played none at all. They don't know what they are watching.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
I’m a Joseph guy but I would have to say I thought he would have emerged at some point in the season. Surely this staff has a pretty good idea about the player. This off-season will say a lot about what this team feels about Joseph. A CB in round 1 or 2 would speak volumes. They wanted Horn or Surtain for a reason.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
This is a critique I have with this team right now.

They are 1 play away from him becoming a starter and it would be good experience for him to play in some of these games with Dallas having a big lead and they have just not gave him an opportunity whatsoever.

This isn’t a bash Anthony Brown thread or anything but basically get your insurance policy at DB a little experience.

Id hate to see this guy get his first start against a elite QB in the playoffs and never have got much playtime.

If we get up a couple scores on WFT then let the guy play. Give him a few series.

I hear ya, but the problem this late in the season is there is very little 7 on 7's and 11 on 11's. Most of it is installation time now, as bodies are banged up and guys are tired.

They reserve the very few reps they have for the starters. This is why rookies who miss the early part of the season lose so much more. They have to be available for camp and the preseason. That's where you will see most of your reps, and earn the trust of the coaches.

If you haven't won that from your position coaches by this time in the season you are going to get it as they are trying to keep the starters ready and focused.

I suspect he hasn't won over his position coach yet, and that is why we are not seeing much of him. We could probably add Nashon to this assumption also.

The Realist

Reaction score

They are 1 play away from him becoming a starter and it would be good experience for him to play in some of these games with Dallas having a big lead and they have just not gave him an opportunity whatsoever.

This isn’t a bash Anthony Brown thread or anything but basically get your insurance policy at DB a little experience.

Id hate to see this guy get his first start against a elite QB in the playoffs and never have got much playtime.

If we get up a couple scores on WFT then let the guy play. Give him a few series.

“Is this actually confusing? the 2nd, 5th & 6th year veterans ahead of him on the depth chart are all having career years.” Dave Helman

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score

No lead is big, have you seen this **** show of an offense. Every game Dak and Moore try to give it away!

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Based upon what, his draft position?
He needs to earn it with his play and it appears the coaches don't feel he has.
Brown has been really solid at times and he has looked like trash at times, but Joesph has done nothing to earn the PT, even though it is there for the taking.
He wasn't good in camp, then had a nagging injury, came back and then had a personal absence, then came in and got ejected from a game. He's built no resume to deserve an NFL starting job.
Look, I hope the kid becomes a pro bowler, but as of now, he has done nothing to deserve PT other than being a high pick.
He was frankly in a great position to come in and take Browns starting spot after the Raiders game, and he just wasn't ready.
I trust that Quinn wants the best players on the field and looks like right now he doesn't feel Joseph is one of them.
Becoming a starter is something a player earns. But playing time is not earned, it's given. For instance, Chauncey Golston didn't really do anything to earn his playing time. Playing time has just been given to him. So getting Joseph some real reps, if the game is out of hand, is a good idea.

I think you're missing the game out of hand portion in the OP's original statement.

CWR

Reaction score
Generally I agree, but these games have been a little close.

If they try to sneak him in there and he got beat, all you'd hear is how stupid it was to try to play him.

But yeah I'm hoping the Washington game provides an opportunity for him to get some snaps.

Poster boy for why you do not zero in on position with draft picks.

I sure hope he's more than a poster boy for that mistake, but yes it appears to be a lost season.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score

Should have brought in a vet....weeks ago...still wonder if the fall back plan is Canady...and what happened to everyone's favorite training camp pet....