MM, KM and Dak proved nothing last night

irishline

Reaction score
You’re missing the point of this thread and trying to change the narrative. My point was that MM, KM and Dak had already proved their places on this team.

Sure they have proven their place on this team. Few deny that. The question is have they and the team proven their place in the NFL, or are we just the same team that folds come the divisional round against a strong opponent?

Last night they sure looked good, and I believe they can do it, but I also believed they could last year, 2016, 2014, et al. That old saying of past results do not guarantee future performance is absolutely true, but boy does history make me gun shy.

Sydla

Reaction score
Of course they need to do better than 1 playoff win. Never said otherwise. You said regular season wins are meaningless. They aren’t. They get you into the tournament.
LOL. But that's my point. You say McCarthy and Dak and Moore have "proved their worth". But they've done nothing that Garrett or Phillips led teams hadn't already done. So what have they proven?

Maybe it's just that our expectations are different. To me, winning 13, 12, 11 regular season games isn't much if you just flame out in the postseason. Garrett spit out some really good regular seasons only to bomb out early in the postseason. For McCarthy to be viewed as a great HC, for Dak to be viewed as great QB, they have to do more than just do what Garrett teams did. Or Phillips teams did.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
It's great. They were dominant last night. They play like that going forward, they could definitely beat both San Fran and Philly.

But we've won our first playoff game before. We haven't won a 2nd playoff game since the mid 90s.
When you think about Philly....Hurts is a 2nd round pick in his 2nd year as a full time starter. When you think about the 49ers...they are starting a 7th round rookie.

This is why I said if we lose to either...it is not totally on MM, KM or Dak. Our front office would carry most of the blame...because there is no way Dak should be unseated as the best QB in our division this quickly...if this happens...it is because our front office sat back and let the Eagles run circles around them. While telling the fans that Cooper had a bad attitude...and we have to save money to pay Diggs, Cee Dee and Micah.

Toro9

Reaction score
Proved? No. I agree. But they showed they're capable of winning a playoff game. Granted, TB was only the playoffs because they're in a bad division. I don't know what I'm saying.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The point is no one really cares if you win 12, 13, 14 games and lock up a top seed and then go out and lose a first or second round playoff game and at least make a conference title game. We won 13 games a few seasons ago. It was a really good regular season. Then we choked in our first playoff game against the Packers.

Does anyone consider that a great, elite Cowboys team? Nope. Why? Because they spit the bit early in the postseason.
The objective is to win a ring. No doubt. But in order to do that you need to get to the post season. Sure, you could pray and hope to get there with 8 wins like the Buccaneers but to make the playoffs is hit or miss at 8 wins.

I'm just saying its not meaningless. It means something to win 12 games. Just like the Vikings. They won 12 games and had home field. They loss. But they have their own selves to blame for that. They had a nice path to the SB if they were good enough.

Echospacing

Reaction score
teams are only remembered by the last really big game they've won. I still look at the Bills as 4 time losers.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
When you think about Philly....Hurts is a 2nd round pick in his 2nd year as a full time starter. When you think about the 49ers...they are starting a 7th round rookie.

This is why I said if we lose to either...it is not totally on MM, KM or Dak. Our front office would carry most of the blame...because there is no way Dak should be unseated as the best QB in our division this quickly...if this happens...it is because our front office sat back and let the Eagles run circles around them. While telling the fans that Cooper had a bad attitude...and we have to save money to pay Diggs, Cee Dee and Micah.
Cowboys and Eagles took two different approaches to the offseason. I don't think either is the correct approach. I think when team building you think about the now and the later. Eagles could give a damn about the later...maybe its because they have a extra 1st rounder....not sure. Cowboys approach is don't mortgage the future and the salary cap. This too is wrong. There needs to be some middle ground. You don't have to say screw your future but there is a way to get some free agents in here without mortgaging your future salary cap.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I did say I appreciate them. It is hard to win in this league. Especially the playoffs. But we have assembled a better team than the Bucs. Dak is not getting paid to sell mattresses. He is getting paid to win postseason games. So I cheer and root, but I think the paycheck he is cashing every week is a sign of credit and appreciation. If he was still on his rookie contract,,,I would be more impressed...but a guy making 40+ million...a guy that played a role and getting Amari Cooper off the roster..a guy that wanted Schultz and we franchised...when you get what you ask for....you need to deliver!
Ok I missed it so we are blaming Dak for why Amari isn't on this team now?

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Cowboys and Eagles took two different approaches to the offseason. I don't think either is the correct approach. I think when team building you think about the now and the later. Eagles could give a damn about the later...maybe its because they have a extra 1st rounder....not sure. Cowboys approach is don't mortgage the future and the salary cap. This too is wrong. There needs to be some middle ground. You don't have to say screw your future but there is a way to get some free agents in here without mortgaging your future salary cap.
The Cowboys front office has done a good job a convincing the fanbase that "if you do such and such and miss, that can set the franchise back for years"

Did missing on Chip Kelly set the Eagles back for years? They won the Super Bowl with the next guy. Moved on from him..and are poised to make another run with the next guy. Has missing on Carson Wentz set their franchise back? Or remember when we did not keep DeMarco Murray....and DeMarco Murray left too much meat on the bone...and the Eagles will regret signing him to the big contract...and Joseph Randle could do just as good if not better. My point is if you have a competent front office...you can take risks and if you miss...you are not set back for YEARS.

leeblair

Reaction score
They had already proved their worth. I believe the Cowboys have won more games the last 2 years than any other team. The team believes in him and play hard for him. KM has consistently had one of the best offenses in the NFL. I don’t like those end around plays but it does give the defenses something to think about. And Dak, Dak’s been one of the best QB’s in the league since he won NFL Rookie of the Year. He‘s had turnover issues this year but if you’re honest with yourselves, half of those weren’t his fault. The haters will never admit that because they’re incapable of being honest with themselves. And the defense has been swiss cheese the last half of the season. Kudos to the D for stepping up last night and shutting down Tom Brady.

So all the media and hater hype about MM, KM and Dak playing for their careers was just that, hype. It’s a great example of how perception becomes reality. The media, who are paid to create controversy, crapped on them all. The mouth breathing haters have not the mental capability to see through this and went with the perception because it played into their hater mentality. All I got to say about them is “HOW BOUT THEM COWBOYS!!!!!!!”

:starspin:
I have to admit, you're at least partially right.
Dak and the coaches didn't prove anything last night. The Buccaneers were 8-9 in the regular season, and no one seriously thought they would win. Dak beat another sub .500 team.
I think they'll beat San Francisco, too, because I think the reality sets in on Brock Purdy and the Cowboys defense will have him rattled.
I think the Cowboys will win 34-14, or something like that.
But if Dak doesn't play well, that could even the playing field for the 49'ers. So, let's see what happens.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Sure they have proven their place on this team. Few deny that. The question is have they and the team proven their place in the NFL, or are we just the same team that folds come the divisional round against a strong opponent?

Last night they sure looked good, and I believe they can do it, but I also believed they could last year, 2016, 2014, et al. That old saying of past results do not guarantee future performance is absolutely true, but boy does history make me gun shy.
Before yesterday y’all were saying they are a one and done team. Now you’re saying winning the 2nd game. Next you’ll be saying winning the NFCCG. Then you’ll be saying winning a SB. Then you’ll be saying it’s only 1 SB, on and on and on.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
LOL. But that's my point. You say McCarthy and Dak and Moore have "proved their worth". But they've done nothing that Garrett or Phillips led teams hadn't already done. So what have they proven?

Maybe it's just that our expectations are different. To me, winning 13, 12, 11 regular season games isn't much if you just flame out in the postseason. Garrett spit out some really good regular seasons only to bomb out early in the postseason. For McCarthy to be viewed as a great HC, for Dak to be viewed as great QB, they have to do more than just do what Garrett teams did. Or Phillips teams did.
MM > Garrett and Phillips. You just enjoy being negative and thus miserable. Like I said, you do you and I’ll do me and I know which character to have is the better one.