FEATURED Morning Pops!

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
Morning, Pops and friends. Do you realize that if you leave the "r" out of friends it spells fiends. That's how I typed it initially. I'm glad I noticed the error because that description doesn't fit anyone in this thread.

My condolences on the loss of your Aunt, @CouchCoach .

We are making a lot of progress on getting the condo suitable for use as a vacation rental. The third bedroom was used for storage. It is 8' by 14' and was literally packed 4' high from about 3' into the room all the way to the back with everything from clothes to tv's. We donated most of the usable items to the Salvation Army and the Humane Society thrift shops. I made a few small repairs and still need to install a new garbage disposal and a couple of bathroom sink faucets.

Here's an oddity for you. They actually have a Radio Shack store here. It was like stepping back in time. Have a good day, everyone.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Good Sunday morning to Pops and one and all and if you think you're the one, well, you're right.

My Aunt Lennie passed away over the weekend at the age of 93. She was an amazingly strong woman but had become in need of assisted living the last year and her depression sank even lower and she was my faith guide. I am not strong enough to have faith on my own and weaken easily and it is all too easy for me to slip into the dark. I need that "if they can believe, I can believe" because most of what I see tells me that Higher Power is on an extended vacation.

She lost her first husband, the absolute love of her life and one of the nicest people you'd even meet unless he was drinking, to alcoholism and suicide. Then her only son and my favorite cousin and closest person to a brother had a heart attack at 40 and died and her second husband died in her arms having a heart attack in their bed. Any one of those would have me thinking "this God loves us, loves her"? Not her, true faith cannot be shaken. It might be stirred but not shaken. Mine shakes a little too much.

She was absolutely my wife's favorite woman and she was that independent strong woman before that was in vogue and became head of the cosmetic departments for all of Dillards in the 70's and called people like Coco Chanel, Estee Lauder and other names in that business personal friends and hung out with them. When she retired, Bill Dillard called her the most professional and proficient person that he had ever met.

She left her mark on this world and in my heart because she was like my second Mom and whenever I was around family, after my own struggles, I would catch her looking at me and then she'd smile because she knew exactly what I was thinking and feeling as it is hard for me to be in situations where it is obvious there are the missing. The dark is always waiting, it never sleeps and another bright light has gone out in this world.

My friends, love them while they're here and let them know it because we never know when we will have that ultimate regret "but I wanted to tell...….". Make their day, tell them you love them when they're not expecting it. Call someone you haven't spoken to but have meaning to "getting around to that" and just start with "I was thinking of you".
My friend, I don't have the faith you're looking for, and I never have, but there are plenty here who do, and they're all willing to share. I'm sorry for your loss, but at least she had a good run!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My friend, I don't have the faith you're looking for, and I never have, but there are plenty here who do, and they're all willing to share. I'm sorry for your loss, but at least she had a good run!
Thanks Runny, she had longevity but living with some of the things she had to endure also defines that run. Funny thing about faith, while mine shakes from time to time, hers never did and she had more reason than I.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good Monday morning Pops and those gainfully employed and those happily ex-employed.

My, my, CC is off to Romania, Leon is doing chores in the Bahamas and a week from today, I will have a bunch of French people on my vessel. It is a small world. I don't know why people say that, it's not true, it's not a small world as anyone that ever did time on one of those boats in Disney World can attest to and spent hours trying to get that stupid song out of their head only to have the wee ones start singing it to replant it. I think there was a subliminal message planted there by that old deranged coot because our kids were never the same after that ride. I tried a Space Mountain intervention to bring them back but that failed. Imagine racing 50 mph in total darkness in a little vehicle, listening to them hum that song. And people wonder why I am the way I am. I was scarred as an adult.

I need a vacation but I don't work so am I going to do what I don't do, just don't do it somewhere else? I think I need a cruise. Get on one of those floating cocktail parties with my room number written on my forehead. Not to advertise to the ladies but to inform some responsible party where to return me.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Morning Pops. Morning Fellas and good morning to all who have stopped in today to check out the thread.

Coach, sorry to hear your news today. Sometimes you are lucky enough to have people come into your life and effect you in ways that shape your life. Sounds like you just lost one and for that, I am sorry Brother.

Leon, I'm glad your back Brother!

Jobs, Leon, dbrp, Xelda, zrin, Trouty, ksk, RGV, Coach, RWB, Ranching, SW, John, Jan, Corso and Colo, hope everybody was able to enjoy the weekend. Go out and have a great work week!

Season is coming folks! Have a great week!

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Morning Pops and, to all those returning to work today, have a good and safe week.

@CouchCoach, I hear you when it comes to roller coaster rides. Earlier this summer, we took one set of grand kids to Orlando's Universal Studios. While the Harry Potter attractions were the overwhelming favorite (I am a complete Potter nerd), our 11 YO granddaughter insisted on riding every single one of the roller coaster rides. And, guess who had to ride with her? Grumpa!

There was a time in my mis-spent youth that I would seek out thrill rides but, not anymore. Anyway, we rode the Hollywood Rip Ride Rocket. It goes straight up 165 ft and then pretty much straight down before executing a series of vomit-inducing twists and turns. Before we launched, you were encouraged to select, from a range of pre-recorded music, a song to play during the ride. Donna Summer's "I Will Survive" seemed appropriate.

One of us had a great time. It was scary... In a manly sort of way.

Cowboys_22

Reaction score
Good Sunday morning to Pops and one and all and if you think you're the one, well, you're right.

My Aunt Lennie passed away over the weekend at the age of 93. She was an amazingly strong woman but had become in need of assisted living the last year and her depression sank even lower and she was my faith guide. I am not strong enough to have faith on my own and weaken easily and it is all too easy for me to slip into the dark. I need that "if they can believe, I can believe" because most of what I see tells me that Higher Power is on an extended vacation.

She lost her first husband, the absolute love of her life and one of the nicest people you'd even meet unless he was drinking, to alcoholism and suicide. Then her only son and my favorite cousin and closest person to a brother had a heart attack at 40 and died and her second husband died in her arms having a heart attack in their bed. Any one of those would have me thinking "this God loves us, loves her"? Not her, true faith cannot be shaken. It might be stirred but not shaken. Mine shakes a little too much.

She was absolutely my wife's favorite woman and she was that independent strong woman before that was in vogue and became head of the cosmetic departments for all of Dillards in the 70's and called people like Coco Chanel, Estee Lauder and other names in that business personal friends and hung out with them. When she retired, Bill Dillard called her the most professional and proficient person that he had ever met.

She left her mark on this world and in my heart because she was like my second Mom and whenever I was around family, after my own struggles, I would catch her looking at me and then she'd smile because she knew exactly what I was thinking and feeling as it is hard for me to be in situations where it is obvious there are the missing. The dark is always waiting, it never sleeps and another bright light has gone out in this world.

My friends, love them while they're here and let them know it because we never know when we will have that ultimate regret "but I wanted to tell...….". Make their day, tell them you love them when they're not expecting it. Call someone you haven't spoken to but have meaning to "getting around to that" and just start with "I was thinking of you".

Good afternoon Pops and friends. Sorry for your loss there CC. It doesn’t matter how old a person is, it’s always hard to say good bye. Nothing wrong with shaky faith, we have all been shaken one time or another.
Wishing everyone a good week.
Go Cowboys! Season opener right around the corner.
:flagwave:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good morning Pops and fellow Hump Day Eve celebrants. OK, you can open one present tonight but only one and I have to pick it out. Yes, Leon, those are snowshoes.

Today is also National Radio Day and I will celebrate that by not listening again. Spent 25 years in that biz when it was truly the largest gathering of nuts this side of Squirrel Village and once I left, I left. I've not listened to any terrestrial radio since May 31, 2016 and I marked the day. I do Sirius/XM but that's not real radio.

Ya see, just like business is trying to ruin my favorite team sport, Curling, it trashed radio beyond recognition. The avarice and greed of a few reduced the employment levels of radio by 35% in the first year alone. My last stop, I managed 4 radio stations that had all had GM's but now they only had 1.

The workforce of America fears being replaced by automation and robots but radio was the pioneer in that. Where you used to listen to announcers/hosts that were your neighbors and cared as much about your community and it's causes as you do, chances are that voice is emanating from some distant voice tracking hive.

But, let me tell you about the beauty of radio. When it is needed, it is the first responder to tragedies and I cannot count the times my folks mustered into action in OK to assist people in need. I saw fires, devastating floods, a killer tornado and just people in need of knowing someone cared all served by my stations. Radio has always had the crazy side but a heart to big to contain. Those were the two lures that hooked people into the world of radio. Having fun around goofy people and making a difference with caring people and they were the same people.

So Radio, my dear departed friend that I would stay up as a 10 year old, earphone from my transistor radio plugged in and listening intently, you were always there for me and even gave me a good living for 25 years and plenty of laughs and opportunities to see humans at their best and their most vulnerable. I celebrate what you brought to this world and I lament your passing.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Morning Pops and, to all those returning to work today, have a good and safe week.
38fuh6.gif
https://imgflip.com/gif-maker

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Morning Pops and peeps!

Took a lovely drive up to Vermont today. It sounds far, but I'm in Brattleboro now, and my trip odometer reads 78 miles, and it's a relatively peaceful 78 miles on I-91, through Massachusetts, as opposed to I-95 into NYC or Long Island. It's also a beautiful day, so I'm naturally waiting for the other shoe to drop.

If it doesn't land on me, I'll be satisfied. Until then, everyone have a wonderful day!!!

Oh, and CC, twas video killed the radio star. I know, because I heard it in a song on the radio...but then, all we hear is radio gaga.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Good morning Pops and fellow Hump Day Eve celebrants. OK, you can open one present tonight but only one and I have to pick it out. Yes, Leon, those are snowshoes.

Today is also National Radio Day and I will celebrate that by not listening again. Spent 25 years in that biz when it was truly the largest gathering of nuts this side of Squirrel Village and once I left, I left. I've not listened to any terrestrial radio since May 31, 2016 and I marked the day. I do Sirius/XM but that's not real radio.

Ya see, just like business is trying to ruin my favorite team sport, Curling, it trashed radio beyond recognition. The avarice and greed of a few reduced the employment levels of radio by 35% in the first year alone. My last stop, I managed 4 radio stations that had all had GM's but now they only had 1.

The workforce of America fears being replaced by automation and robots but radio was the pioneer in that. Where you used to listen to announcers/hosts that were your neighbors and cared as much about your community and it's causes as you do, chances are that voice is emanating from some distant voice tracking hive.

But, let me tell you about the beauty of radio. When it is needed, it is the first responder to tragedies and I cannot count the times my folks mustered into action in OK to assist people in need. I saw fires, devastating floods, a killer tornado and just people in need of knowing someone cared all served by my stations. Radio has always had the crazy side but a heart to big to contain. Those were the two lures that hooked people into the world of radio. Having fun around goofy people and making a difference with caring people and they were the same people.

So Radio, my dear departed friend that I would stay up as a 10 year old, earphone from my transistor radio plugged in and listening intently, you were always there for me and even gave me a good living for 25 years and plenty of laughs and opportunities to see humans at their best and their most vulnerable. I celebrate what you brought to this world and I lament your passing.
Radio is not dead

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I would give this guy no more than a 2 or 3 out 10 for the head first plunge. Personally, I prefer falling backwards and then immediately transitioning to a snow angel.

Admit it, you're jealous of our snow.

That is called a Triple Lindy, for those of you who are novices....

Gotta disagree with you on the Radio thing though Colo. Radio is dead. It was killed by Video, we were told so by the Bungles back in the late 70s!

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Afternoon Pops. Afternoon Fellas and good afternoon to any and all who stop this way today.

Gotta say, I'm liking what I see here. Lots of regulars stopping in to say hello. That's a good sign!

Everybody doing OK today? I saw in the news where Cedric Benson, former NFL RB and UT RB died the other day in a Motorcycle crash. I don't know what to think of that. I road a bike when I was young and I've pretty much road my whole life, up until just recently in fact. I stopped because it's just getting too crazy out there. I don't know.

Jobs, Leon, dbrp, Xelda, zrin, Trouty, ksk, RGV, Coach, RWB, Ranching, SW, John, Jan, Corso and Colo, how is everybody today?

Folks, if it don't start out well, just keep at it. Sooner or later somebody is going to either see your struggle and lend a hand or throw dirt on your face and the pain in the arse that started all the mess will be in the rear view mirror. Either way, the problem will be resolved. Take solace my Friends!

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Afternoon Pops. Afternoon Fellas and good afternoon to any and all who stop this way today.

Gotta say, I'm liking what I see here. Lots of regulars stopping in to say hello. That's a good sign!

Everybody doing OK today? I saw in the news where Cedric Benson, former NFL RB and UT RB died the other day in a Motorcycle crash. I don't know what to think of that. I road a bike when I was young and I've pretty much road my whole life, up until just recently in fact. I stopped because it's just getting too crazy out there. I don't know.

Jobs, Leon, dbrp, Xelda, zrin, Trouty, ksk, RGV, Coach, RWB, Ranching, SW, John, Jan, Corso and Colo, how is everybody today?

Folks, if it don't start out well, just keep at it. Sooner or later somebody is going to either see your struggle and lend a hand or throw dirt on your face and the pain in the arse that started all the mess will be in the rear view mirror. Either way, the problem will be resolved. Take solace my Friends!
That Cedric Benson news hit me a little harder than I would have expected. It's not that I was a fan, even though he was a pretty good back. I think it's just the surprise of it, like Sonny Bono, John Denver, and countless others, whose deaths made me a little sad, even though they weren't people I paid much attention to.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That Cedric Benson news hit me a little harder than I would have expected. It's not that I was a fan, even though he was a pretty good back. I think it's just the surprise of it, like Sonny Bono, John Denver, and countless others, whose deaths made me a little sad, even though they weren't people I paid much attention to.
He was the first superstar from Midland Lee High School and a legend there. I lived there for 10 months in 2005 and people were still in awe of him. He was the first high school player I saw SI do a feature on and he had as many media people following him as a collegiate star and was the only high school player to be on the cover of the Texas collegiate football magazine. He was everything there was about Texas high school football, bigger than life.

He was that unstoppable force that was Booby Miles at Odessa-Permian in "Friday Night Lights". He was good at UT but didn't live up to the lofty expectations that he would be better than Earl Campbell but Earl played on a better team. And I think all of the hype about him made life tough on him to live up to it.

The other Midland star was our own Roy UT Williams. When I first got to Midland, the stations were exactly halfway between Midland and Odessa and I asked the people if there was a college in Midland and they asked why and I remarked about that beautiful stadium. They laughed and said "you're new here, that's Midland Lee High Stadium". I was to learn that saying that football was religion in Texas started right there. And the book written and movie made about just how important it was to the Odessa Panthers and alumni had a whole lot of truth to it.

GrammaJan

Reaction score
Evening Pops and everyone.

Crazy stuff been going on but it'd take me half a day to write it all, so I won't.

Been a bit dead in the water... car died so I've been stranded. One of those few times I'm thankful I live where I work. My car guy, Leroy, says I'll have it back tonight so I sit impatiently waiting. Everyone should have a "Leroy". He was my and Elisha's car repair guy wherever he was working (apparently they change job locations a lot in that trade) going on a solid ten years now. He's a legit mechanic with all those certifications and also does work on the side and continues to do my auto work even though Elisha has passed. They got along quite well and I think it was simply understood that while Elisha's time would be shortened, Leroy would continue to make sure I was taken care of when I needed help with the car. I figure I'm destined to ride out the rest of this life alone so I'd be lost without him.

Anyone out there got that "go-to" you don't feel you could do without? If so, you know what I mean.

Next job for him (though he doesn't know it yet) is to show me the basics of car maintenance. Elisha started to, but again...gone. I probably would be challenged to even change a friggin tire on my own. Not stupid, just not taught and I'm getting too old not to know these things.

I guess I blinked and the years had flown past... and you know 'there's always tomorrow. I'll put it off til then'. Probably not a wise thing to be telling myself anymore.

Have a great rest of your day, all.