FEATURED Morning Pops!

Xelda

Reaction score
Evening Pops and friends. Nothing amusing or entertaining to report. Today became "one of those days" I never want to repeat. Please let it end without an explosion.

Don't worry about the car knowledge, Jan. If you ever watched Frasier, there was a good episode about Frasier and Niles trying to work on plumbing. They eventually hired a plumber. They decided if they fixed it instead of paying a plumber, they'd be robbing Dolly Parton of album revenues. It was their way of keeping the American way of life going.

Glad Runny had a good gig today and happy to see RGV back, you've been missed. I see Dabz got you, Colo. We promise not to hold it over your head forever. Also sorry to hear about the player that died even though he did nothing for my Cowboys that I know of.

Have a good evening all.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
Morning, Pops and pen pals. For those of you who were having bad days, I feel for you and hope everything gets better real quick. I have been lacking enthusiasm for this season since before the draft. It's puzzling because I think we have a really good team and will have a playoff season. However, I am anxious to see the dress rehearsal game Sat. Maybe that will get me in the mood I'm used to for the season. Y'all have a good day.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Evening Pops and everyone.

Crazy stuff been going on but it'd take me half a day to write it all, so I won't.

Been a bit dead in the water... car died so I've been stranded. One of those few times I'm thankful I live where I work. My car guy, Leroy, says I'll have it back tonight so I sit impatiently waiting. Everyone should have a "Leroy". He was my and Elisha's car repair guy wherever he was working (apparently they change job locations a lot in that trade) going on a solid ten years now. He's a legit mechanic with all those certifications and also does work on the side and continues to do my auto work even though Elisha has passed. They got along quite well and I think it was simply understood that while Elisha's time would be shortened, Leroy would continue to make sure I was taken care of when I needed help with the car. I figure I'm destined to ride out the rest of this life alone so I'd be lost without him.

Anyone out there got that "go-to" you don't feel you could do without? If so, you know what I mean.

Next job for him (though he doesn't know it yet) is to show me the basics of car maintenance. Elisha started to, but again...gone. I probably would be challenged to even change a friggin tire on my own. Not stupid, just not taught and I'm getting too old not to know these things.

I guess I blinked and the years had flown past... and you know 'there's always tomorrow. I'll put it off til then'. Probably not a wise thing to be telling myself anymore.

Have a great rest of your day, all.
Jean, you'd be amazed at the things you can learn step by step on YouTube. Having the strength to change a tire is another thing, since the lug nuts sometimes get frozen. I've broken a few lug boots, because the nut was so rusted on that I just twisted the bolt until it snapped. That's not always the case though, and if your car is less than ten years old, it shouldn't be a problem.

GrammaJan

Reaction score
Morning Pops and everyone.

Runny, I figured I'd end up using the YouTube instructional at some point. As for strength, I'm good there, but yes, my car is an '05 although Leroy does rotate the tires for me, etc... as needed so hopefully in a pinch they wouldn't be too tough to loosen. Never know though.

Leon, I know how you feel. Had a couple really bad days myself over the years, and I've had trouble the last few years getting riled up for the season. Not gonna lie all this stupid legal trouble nonsense our players seem to be drawn to doesn't help. My thought? Just play the game guys, especially when your performance doesn't match the egos/arrogance.

Have a great day everyone.

Cowboys_22

Reaction score
Good morning Pops and friends. Yesterday my wife and I went to Sugar Land. On our way out, there was a car on fire at an intersection in the middle of town. Flames were shooting out from under the hood. Two firemen in full gear were walking up to it. This is one time I wanted a red light so I could observe. I had the green light and proceeded slowly along with other rubber neckers. The driver’s door was open so no one appeared to be in danger.
We went to Sam’s then stopped at Costco’s. I should buy stock in these two since our money is going there anyway. My wife says somethings are cheaper at Costco. I’ll take her word for it. Lol
Thank you X. Sometimes I bench myself if I feel that I am spending too much time on the phone. I put it away and use it for phone calls and texts only.
We have company coming in from Washington state this coming weekend. We’re looking forward to it. The first stop they always request is Whataburger lol.
Have a good hump day everyone.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Morning Pops and fellow humpsters and I've not really gotten up for the season in many a moon and I don't know if that's just an age thing but I think all of the reminders that they play for money and they own for money has just worn me down. Time was. I could watch a game and not have to listen to talks about contracts but those days are gone. I remember all the furor over Joe Namath's 400K salary and now one player is getting 88 times that. And they can't stop talking about it.

However, I think the ridiculous pushing himself on the public by Booger is finally taking it's toll on my enthusiasm for the season and this team. I had a decision to make years ago, whether to continue on my affair with my team or walk away like so many I know have. I decided that if I was going to continue, I had to make the conscious effort to avoid exposure to the NFL's Kardashian family but it is harder on this web site than it was on the old one. Separating my team from it's owner is work and the game is supposed to be fun. I wonder if the energy expended to stay a fan of this team is worth it?

I knew if I lived long enough, I would walk away from this reality show and I've never been this close and already watch the team dispassionately and really don't give a damn whether they win or lose and I find myself back to where I once was, not minding losing if it makes him unhappy. Ain't that weird? I think it is.

You know what else is weird? Every offseason, this team serves up stuff for us to discuss and not many fanbases get that but this is becoming like candid camera, I am no longer surprised and less entertained. And you guys know me, I can run with absurdity for a while but this even tests my limits.

Why can't my team just have owners like the other teams and just have arrests at massage parlors and cocaine and DUI's? You know, the fun stuff. Ahhhh yes, I long for the good old days when Booger was getting extorted by a couple of strippers and what was special about that was one of those girls was from where I was in OK and it was that typical "small town girl runs off to the big city and gets corrupted". Hell, if she'd waited until I'd arrived, she could have saved herself the trip.

Why can't we have something like Epstein took a girl scout troop on Booger's Big Boat for a field trip? I am in need of material and tired of depending on my warped imagination. Help!! I am losing this battle with the real world!!!!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good morning Pops and friends. Yesterday my wife and I went to Sugar Land. On our way out, there was a car on fire at an intersection in the middle of town. Flames were shooting out from under the hood. Two firemen in full gear were walking up to it. This is one time I wanted a red light so I could observe. I had the green light and proceeded slowly along with other rubber neckers. The driver’s door was open so no one appeared to be in danger.
We went to Sam’s then stopped at Costco’s. I should buy stock in these two since our money is going there anyway. My wife says somethings are cheaper at Costco. I’ll take her word for it. Lol
Thank you X. Sometimes I bench myself if I feel that I am spending too much time on the phone. I put it away and use it for phone calls and texts only.
We have company coming in from Washington state this coming weekend. We’re looking forward to it. The first stop they always request is Whataburger lol.
Sam's and Costco in one day? RGV, that's like doing the Magic Kingdom and Universal in the same day, your birthday and Christmas on the same day, what do you have to look forward to now?

My wife used to try and dissuade me from both because I was like a toddler in a toy store and she actually would take stuff out of the cart. So, I did what any fully grown adult man type individual would do. Wait until she was distracted and put them back into the cart. However, the managers asked me not to set fire to the tires and they would try and distract her for me.

Cowboys_22

Reaction score
Sam's and Costco in one day? RGV, that's like doing the Magic Kingdom and Universal in the same day, your birthday and Christmas on the same day, what do you have to look forward to now?

My wife used to try and dissuade me from both because I was like a toddler in a toy store and she actually would take stuff out of the cart. So, I did what any fully grown adult man type individual would do. Wait until she was distracted and put them back into the cart. However, the managers asked me not to set fire to the tires and they would try and distract her for me.

:muttley:

At Sam’s, I noticed that the shopping carts were scattered all throughout the parking lot. Hardly any at the entrance. It seemed disorganized inside as well. At Costco, the shopping carts were where they’re supposed to be. Very organized and more cashiers available.
I didn’t know we were going to both places until we left Sam’s. The Mrs pulled the double play move on me. o_O

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

At Sam’s, I noticed that the shopping carts were scattered all throughout the parking lot. Hardly any at the entrance. It seemed disorganized inside as well. At Costco, the shopping carts were where they’re supposed to be. Very organized and more cashiers available.
I didn’t know we were going to both places until we left Sam’s. The Mrs pulled the double play move on me. o_O
The 'ole double play... Have fallen for many times, @RGV_C_Los.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Morning Pops. Morning Fellas and good morning to all who stop in to contribute to this thread.

Hump day so we are half way there. Not much on the schedule this weekend so maybe it can be a sleep in kind of weekend, which I would be great with BTW, but guess we'll see.

Went to the Post Office yesterday and what do you know, had a bomb threat going on. So yeah, that didn't work out all that great. Different times, for sure.

Jobs, Leon, dbrp, Xelda, zrin, Trouty, ksk, RGV, Coach, RWB, Ranching, SW, John, Jan, Corso and Colo, hope you are all doing well. Football is close!

Everybody, hang in there, soon we will have real Football to discuss and enjoy. In the mean time, work hard, have a great day an finish up strong. Lets get to the weekend!

Peace....

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

My Mrs. would have never let me know we were headed to both, I would have had the engine pulled from her car and towed it for more cargo room.

She figured out the strategy, don't go with me. First of all it was like taking a large kid with absolutely no resistance to impulse items. They put an industrial drum of Prep H on the end cap, boingo, cart time. If she allowed me the extra time alone, I would find it more difficult to convince her that we, mainly I, really needed that. She told me one time "you've spent most of your life teaching salespeople how to turn wants into needs but it worked better on you than anyone else". I would go through the exercise of selling her and usually unsell myself and figure she'd be pissed at me for thinking she would be dumb enough to fall for that.

I am easy pickings for those stores because I inherited the shopping gene from my Mom. She suffered from depression, as I do, and we buy stuff to make us feel better. She had all kinds of crap she bought from infomercials and I am surprised Ron Popiel didn't show up at her service. A lot of that stuff never made it out of the box. Amazon goes two days without an order from me and they call the fire department to check on me. The Chief told me "look, you don't have to buy something, just go on there and put some stuff in your cart because they worry so much about you".

I fully realize that it's Band-Aids for the larger problem but a temporary fix is better than no fix.

Xelda

Reaction score
Afternoon Pops and friends. I saw where this thread is 10 years old as of August 14th so Happy Creation Day, Pops thread. I had to go through 2 radiation treatments this week. It felt like the world was pulling me backwards as I tried to move forward. I'll find out in December how well it worked. So, I've got time to kill and mischief to get into.

I've got a new computer coming today and will have to figure out all the passwords this computer has saved. It feels like my childhood Christmases when I'd get one thing I asked for along with a boat load of crap. My grandmother would humiliate me by wrapping my presents in new panties. Those gifts would be opened with lightning precision. Too many family members attuned to my embarrassment and on stand by to give me grief.
My cousin moved up north and craved Whataburger's and Blue Bell while he was gone. I don't have a clue what I'd miss if I moved away.

Coach, I've got the same affliction of a strong shopping gene. The UPS driver sometimes would wait at my house for me to get off work. Sometimes he questioned the abundance to which I'd shrug my shoulders and grunt "they had a sale". Once he backed the UPS truck into my driveway. Might have been twice but I know it wasn't more than three times. If I didn't have a delivery, he'd honk at me when he saw me entering the neighborhood. He must have been relocated because I have new drivers now.

I fully realize that it's Band-Aids for the larger problem but a temporary fix is better than no fix.
Agreed.

Have a good Wednesday everyone.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Afternoon Pops and friends. I saw where this thread is 10 years old as of August 14th so Happy Creation Day, Pops thread. I had to go through 2 radiation treatments this week. It felt like the world was pulling me backwards as I tried to move forward. I'll find out in December how well it worked. So, I've got time to kill and mischief to get into.

I've got a new computer coming today and will have to figure out all the passwords this computer has saved. It feels like my childhood Christmases when I'd get one thing I asked for along with a boat load of crap. My grandmother would humiliate me by wrapping my presents in new panties. Those gifts would be opened with lightning precision. Too many family members attuned to my embarrassment and on stand by to give me grief.

My cousin moved up north and craved Whataburger's and Blue Bell while he was gone. I don't have a clue what I'd miss if I moved away.

Coach, I've got the same affliction of a strong shopping gene. The UPS driver sometimes would wait at my house for me to get off work. Sometimes he questioned the abundance to which I'd shrug my shoulders and grunt "they had a sale". Once he backed the UPS truck into my driveway. Might have been twice but I know it wasn't more than three times. If I didn't have a delivery, he'd honk at me when he saw me entering the neighborhood. He must have been relocated because I have new drivers now.

Agreed.

Have a good Wednesday everyone.
Best of luck with the radiation treatments, X! Hopefully, it works like magic, and you're done with all that crap now!!

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Morning Pops!

Nasty T storms rolled through last night. Lightning was so close, I could actually hear the zzzzzzzzttt before hearing the thunder immediately after. At one point I went to open the blinds to take a look, because there was a tornado watch, and the moment I touched the drawstring, thunder hit so loud and close, it seemed like it was aimed at me. Seriously, it felt like it was contained to a ten square foot radius around me. I didn't even hear an echo. Made me flinch so hard, I thought I pulled a muscle in my good shoulder!

Looks like it's gonna be a good one today though. Enjoy!!!

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
Morning Pops!

Nasty T storms rolled through last night. Lightning was so close, I could actually hear the zzzzzzzzttt before hearing the thunder immediately after. At one point I went to open the blinds to take a look, because there was a tornado watch, and the moment I touched the drawstring, thunder hit so loud and close, it seemed like it was aimed at me. Seriously, it felt like it was contained to a ten square foot radius around me. I didn't even hear an echo. Made me flinch so hard, I thought I pulled a muscle in my good shoulder!

Looks like it's gonna be a good one today though. Enjoy!!!
That sounds too close for comfort.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Good morning Pops and Zoner Friends,

As we slide into the weekend, I can't help but think what a wonderful world we live. And, no, this isn't some lightly veiled sarcasm or political commentary (although, I have been told I am quite good at both). I just got an email from a friend and work colleague who currently lives in Nigeria lamenting the low- to non-existent quality of live there. In the nearly 9 years I lived there, I experienced 3 coups, and was held hostage on more than one occasion. Gives you a different perspective on life. Anywho, as the temperatures dipped into the low 50's this morning, I can't help but think we are headed to an early Fall. Yeah, Fall!

@Xelda, prayers and best wishes for your treatment and a speedy recovery.

@CouchCoach, I know what you mean by being "easy pickings" at stores. My particular downfall is Home Depot. I swear, it seems as though driving into there parking lot results in a minimum $100 credit card charge.

@Runwildboys, be safe out there amidst the storm.

Have a good and early start to the weekend

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good morning Pops and time to get our Pops thread working it's magic for Xelda. It goes without saying our thoughts and prayers are for a good report in December but I would like to add some CC mojo for you to keep your mind positive and don't let the drift take place and take you to an unhappy place.

Xelda, you've got an incredible sense of humor and I think you have the gift. The gift I was given, the ability to make yourself laugh to take you from where you don't want to be to where you should be. At the first sign of a drift, use that gift because I know you are laughing when you put some of your humor up here. I don't know how you could keep from laughing.

Laughter and love your way, girlfriend.

Cowboys_22

Reaction score
Good morning Pops and friends. Xelda, praying for a good report.

We got some much needed rain yesterday and it’s sprinkling now. I really need to mow the yard so when it stops, I’m going to fire up my riding mower and mow over the small puddles and around the big ones. I hear a mower in the distance so I won’t be the only fool out there.

Be good and stay positive.