FEATURED Morning Pops!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good afternoon Pops and all y'all. Had one hell of a night and not much better morning as I awoke at 2am with an ache like pain in the middle of my back only it was deep so I knew it wasn't muscular. About 30 minutes ago, I was debating whether to go to the ER because I was starting to get concerned because I don't know what organs are there but it felt really deep within my back, like in the middle but the pain was all in the back. I resisted the urge to go to WebMD because the next thing I would have done is double check my will, that should be called YouAreGoingToDieAHorribleDeath.med.

I've never had a problem with acid reflux, just a little indigestion, (not enough to burp the alphabet) and occasional heartburn from the good life and here I thought top shelf would prevent that. But I am wondering the symptoms of that and if that could have been it? If it were an organ, I don't think it would have gotten better like that and I should know since I've studied medicine at Holiday Inn-Express. Just the general stuff, you have to stay at a Crown Plaza to get into the specialties.

My cousins that I go to the horse races with would be in Hot Springs now, at the very place where Sean Payton was, if this bug hadn't shown up. So we are doing a WhatsApp call this afternoon for the Arkansas Derby and did a dry run yesterday. I gotta say, I am as close to the Pencil Pocket Protector Person of the Year as I have ever been. The youngsters hate it when us mature folk show off our technical prowess. I had called that off but it's back on and I am looking forward to that, they are like siblings to me.

Well, the planes have been rolling in and the boats rolling by and there are lots of folks afoot all over and my fountain, it is my fountain because that's what I call it, is roaring once again. The hotel and all the trams are not operating yet and I don't know when they will open that up or if there is a demand. Word has gotten around that a golfer got it and that might cause them to be a little more serious about this.

I have to say that if America had seen how some of those "old people we're trying to protect" around here are ignoring it, they might say to hell with this. It actually pisses me off that they ignore it because people are making sacrifices for them and many act like a bunch of teenagers.

Y'all be good to yourselves and better to others and enjoy this weeekend.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Good afternoon Pops and all y'all. Had one hell of a night and not much better morning as I awoke at 2am with an ache like pain in the middle of my back only it was deep so I knew it wasn't muscular. About 30 minutes ago, I was debating whether to go to the ER because I was starting to get concerned because I don't know what organs are there but it felt really deep within my back, like in the middle but the pain was all in the back. I resisted the urge to go to WebMD because the next thing I would have done is double check my will, that should be called YouAreGoingToDieAHorribleDeath.med.

I've never had a problem with acid reflux, just a little indigestion, (not enough to burp the alphabet) and occasional heartburn from the good life and here I thought top shelf would prevent that. But I am wondering the symptoms of that and if that could have been it? If it were an organ, I don't think it would have gotten better like that and I should know since I've studied medicine at Holiday Inn-Express. Just the general stuff, you have to stay at a Crown Plaza to get into the specialties.

My cousins that I go to the horse races with would be in Hot Springs now, at the very place where Sean Payton was, if this bug hadn't shown up. So we are doing a WhatsApp call this afternoon for the Arkansas Derby and did a dry run yesterday. I gotta say, I am as close to the Pencil Pocket Protector Person of the Year as I have ever been. The youngsters hate it when us mature folk show off our technical prowess. I had called that off but it's back on and I am looking forward to that, they are like siblings to me.

Well, the planes have been rolling in and the boats rolling by and there are lots of folks afoot all over and my fountain, it is my fountain because that's what I call it, is roaring once again. The hotel and all the trams are not operating yet and I don't know when they will open that up or if there is a demand. Word has gotten around that a golfer got it and that might cause them to be a little more serious about this.

I have to say that if America had seen how some of those "old people we're trying to protect" around here are ignoring it, they might say to hell with this. It actually pisses me off that they ignore it because people are making sacrifices for them and many act like a bunch of teenagers.

First off, I hope you plan on going to the doctor, even if that pain goes away. Kidney stones can cause pain in strange places, and as the stone moves around, the pain can come and go at random. I'm sure there's a host of other things that can cause your symptoms as well.

As for the old folks down there, I've noticed that most of the people I see at the grocery store are old folks, even though there are hours specifically set aside just for seniors. I was shopping on Tuesday, and I turned into the bread aisle to find an elderly couple, side by side on the motorized carts, blocking the aisle and going the wrong direction...and they were stopped there, discussing what kind of bread they were going to get. It was just like the real world!

Xelda

Reaction score

Mister Couch Theodore Coach! (I'm upset enough to make up a middle name for you.) You get yourself to a physician as soon as possible! No more alcohol or cigars until you do. I mean it! For the sake of us all, do not go to WebMD. Nose running = cancer of the snot gland. Ache in the middle of the back = you need a breast reduction. It's just best not to look.

GrammaJan

Reaction score
Morning Pops and everyone.
Mister Couch Theodore Coach! (I'm upset enough to make up a middle name for you.) You get yourself to a physician as soon as possible! No more alcohol or cigars until you do. I mean it! For the sake of us all, do not go to WebMD. Nose running = cancer of the snot gland. Ache in the middle of the back = you need a breast reduction. It's just best not to look.
Iagree wth Xelda and Runny. Nothing good comes from waiting in these circumstances.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
3zvaxx.gif
https://imgflip.com/gif-maker

Cowboys_22

Reaction score

Good morning Pops and friends. Hope you’re feeling better CC. Go see a Dr. Don’t take any chances with your health.

The Mrs and I are still being cautious when going out even tho some places seem to be completely open for business. Besides, I really enjoy wearing my Cowboys mask.

Take care friends. Enjoy this day and have a great week. It’s Monday tomorrow yeahh. Make it a good day. ;)

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good morning Pops and you Sunday Funday Folks. In parts of this country, some are going back to work tomorrow and I hope we do not see a bounce back in those areas because we need to start living again. Life interrupted has served a purpose though because those little things we took for granted will become special and just being able to live the life you led will be rejuvenating. We're not there yet but we are getting ready to be there. We're starting to gently paddle instead of treading life.

But think of the story we have to tell our grandchildren. Mine are already here and living through it so I am going to have to add some special twists to mine like the virus was as big as wolverines and I had to kill them with my crossbow while defending the village of children orphaned by errant crossbow practice shots.

Thanks for the concern about my mystery malady and when you're awakened in the middle of sweet slumber like that, your mind can create weird stuff. And that's your mind, imagine what mine was doing? By 3am, an alien was bursting forth from my chest, even though I wasn't eating pasta, and my hope was it would leave my pups alone. I mean that first one didn't bother the cat so maybe they're good pet owners?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
First off, I hope you plan on going to the doctor, even if that pain goes away. Kidney stones can cause pain in strange places, and as the stone moves around, the pain can come and go at random. I'm sure there's a host of other things that can cause your symptoms as well.

As for the old folks down there, I've noticed that most of the people I see at the grocery store are old folks, even though there are hours specifically set aside just for seniors. I was shopping on Tuesday, and I turned into the bread aisle to find an elderly couple, side by side on the motorized carts, blocking the aisle and going the wrong direction...and they were stopped there, discussing what kind of bread they were going to get. It was just like the real world!
Kidney stones was my first thought but the location that high up was the stumper, the lungs are there but I would take a deep breath and that would barely affect the pain and the level of pain never changed, it was constant for 10 hours and then just left.

I know what you're talking about the old folks, I am really getting pissed. I want to just stand in the HEB and shout "Don't you realize what other people are giving up and suffering because they're protecting you"? However, on Friday, I had this short conversation with this woman around 75 in line behind me. She said something that stuck with me and I wonder how many feel the same way. She said "this is ridiculous, I don't need to be protected and people need to work. I've lived this long without them protecting me". Then I think she thought about it a little more and added "and all of this crying over people in the nursing homes, they didn't give a good GD about them before". I wish I could have stayed longer and talked with her because I don't think she's the only one feeling that way.

That got me to wondering how people my age really think about this because I don't interact with many as social distancing was fun for me before this. I tell you how I feel. It is up to me to protect myself and if I am in the vulnerable category and aware of that, it is my responsibility to protect myself. Don't wreck the world because there may never be a vaccine, as there isn't against other viruses, and we have to live against this thing.

I hope all of you are weathering the emotional and mental effect this is having and we'd all like to think we're strong but this is starting to show the negative signs with a lot of people and yes, we're spoiled Americans with our freedom but what's wrong with that? That's what we fight to protect.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Kidney stones was my first thought but the location that high up was the stumper, the lungs are there but I would take a deep breath and that would barely affect the pain and the level of pain never changed, it was constant for 10 hours and then just left.

I know what you're talking about the old folks, I am really getting pissed. I want to just stand in the HEB and shout "Don't you realize what other people are giving up and suffering because they're protecting you"? However, on Friday, I had this short conversation with this woman around 75 in line behind me. She said something that stuck with me and I wonder how many feel the same way. She said "this is ridiculous, I don't need to be protected and people need to work. I've lived this long without them protecting me". Then I think she thought about it a little more and added "and all of this crying over people in the nursing homes, they didn't give a good GD about them before". I wish I could have stayed longer and talked with her because I don't think she's the only one feeling that way.

That got me to wondering how people my age really think about this because I don't interact with many as social distancing was fun for me before this. I tell you how I feel. It is up to me to protect myself and if I am in the vulnerable category and aware of that, it is my responsibility to protect myself. Don't wreck the world because there may never be a vaccine, as there isn't against other viruses, and we have to live against this thing.

I hope all of you are weathering the emotional and mental effect this is having and we'd all like to think we're strong but this is starting to show the negative signs with a lot of people and yes, we're spoiled Americans with our freedom but what's wrong with that? That's what we fight to protect.
The problem with her point of view is that this virus doesn't just get the people who don't worry about it. She gets it, then comes in contact with people and things for possibly 2 weeks before she even knows she has it.

Back to your back; It could be a pinched nerve or bulging disc.

Xelda

Reaction score
Good morning Pops and Popsadoodles. Mr. Coach, please get to that doctor. You are too important to risk the unthinkable. Please, please, please, please, please? As for the new woman at HEB, she's lost touch with the young, impoverished and most vulnerable that can't afford to self isolate. These are the ones that are on the front lines during the quarantine. There are millions of stories and we should respect them all without risking the lives of others.

I left out the doctors and nurses in reference to the "front lines" because I'm addressing the group that can't afford hazmat suits.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The problem with her point of view is that this virus doesn't just get the people who don't worry about it. She gets it, then comes in contact with people and things for possibly 2 weeks before she even knows she has it.

I think she understood that, Runny. She was wearing a mask before it was advisable, I remembered her because of that. I think she just took it all as personal responsibility and was angry about the people losing jobs.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good morning Pops and Popsadoodles. Mr. Coach, please get to that doctor. You are too important to risk the unthinkable. Please, please, please, please, please? As for the new woman at HEB, she's lost touch with the young, impoverished and most vulnerable that can't afford to self isolate. These are the ones that are on the front lines during the quarantine. There are millions of stories and we should respect them all without risking the lives of others.

I left out the doctors and nurses in reference to the "front lines" because I'm addressing the group that can't afford hazmat suits.
I don't know, I think her point was they shouldn't shut it down to protect people in our age group. She seemed upset and took it upon herself to only only protect herself but others as well. And her stance is not a new one here where their are a lot of people in that age group. I have encountered far more angry at the economic impact than the medical part of it. And they feel like they're being categorized as "invalids" and I can tell you when you cross that 70 line, you do get a little defensive about your abilities when challenged. I can't tell you the times the hair on the back of my neck has gone up when some poster makes an age related remark about the competency of someone solely based on age. When I was younger, made the same remarks myself.

Xelda

Reaction score
I don't know, I think her point was they shouldn't shut it down to protect people in our age group. She seemed upset and took it upon herself to only only protect herself but others as well. And her stance is not a new one here where their are a lot of people in that age group. I have encountered far more angry at the economic impact than the medical part of it. And they feel like they're being categorized as "invalids" and I can tell you when you cross that 70 line, you do get a little defensive about your abilities when challenged. I can't tell you the times the hair on the back of my neck has gone up when some poster makes an age related remark about the competency of someone solely based on age. When I was younger, made the same remarks myself.
Okay, I didn't know her thoughts in regards to the comments. I know the financial impact has been rough. Better to live to complain about it though than allow Covid-19 to run rampant and risk losing Cowboy fans.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I've had herniated discs, had a fusion for the ones in my neck, C 6-7, and blew the L4 and 5 15 years ago and I know nerve pain but the pain would radiate down that nerve like it did to my arm with the neck and leg with the back.

I am beginning to think I had a bout with acid reflux because my daughter-in-law's Dad has it so bad he has to sleep on an incline. And he described one of the pains as being shot in the back, which didn't make sense to me because I thought it was like bad heartburn and more of an acid feeling in the throat. I will check this out with my lazy part time Doc on Tuesday since he doesn't work on Mondays and Fridays.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I've had herniated discs, had a fusion for the ones in my neck, C 6-7, and blew the L4 and 5 15 years ago and I know nerve pain but the pain would radiate down that nerve like it did to my arm with the neck and leg with the back.

I am beginning to think I had a bout with acid reflux because my daughter-in-law's Dad has it so bad he has to sleep on an incline. And he described one of the pains as being shot in the back, which didn't make sense to me because I thought it was like bad heartburn and more of an acid feeling in the throat. I will check this out with my lazy part time Doc on Tuesday since he doesn't work on Mondays and Fridays.
As I'm sure you know, the pain goes where the affected nerves go. When the arthritis in my C7 flared up, it started with extreme pain in my back, which slowly wrapped around to my chest, sent tingling down my left arm, into my fingers, then pain in my right arm.

But I only cited that as a possibility. I imagine the reflux is also a possibility. I wonder if that's why I sometimes get middle back pain when I drink.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Okay, I didn't know her thoughts in regards to the comments. I know the financial impact has been rough. Better to live to complain about it though than allow Covid-19 to run rampant and risk losing Cowboy fans.
What is starting to come out and we're going to see a lot more of this are the hardships this lock down has brought on a lot of people. I do not disagree with it because of the effect on the health care system but the stories of how many have been affected are just starting to surface. We are barely on the tip of the iceberg.

There are people showing up in the hundreds at the Central Food Bank that they've never seen before. We've always talked about all of the people living "paycheck to paycheck" and now we are seeing a lot of them and they aren't who we thought they were. That was me back in the day, this happens when I am in my 20's and 30's, I am in that line.

My fear is that while we haven't seen the complete physical effect of this on us, we've not scratched the surface yet on the emotional and mental effect to the response to it. This is the best example of "damned if you do and damned if you don't" in my lifetime and while my norm is to rail at and berate all politicians, my empathy meter has been pegging in the red for these people. I don't think any of them ever envisioned their job including these decisions. Even if they err on the side of caution, as the Austin Mayor did, the economic fallout is almost as bad. There's no good decision, and even the best one carries high risk. There is a new definition of "govern" to a lot of these people.

My problem with arguing either side of this is that I agree with both and can argue against both.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As I'm sure you know, the pain goes where the affected nerves go. When the arthritis in my C7 flared up, it started with extreme pain in my back, which slowly wrapped around to my chest, sent tingling down my left arm, into my fingers, then pain in my right arm.

But I only cited that as a possibility. I imagine the reflux is also a possibility. I wonder if that's why I sometimes get middle back pain when I drink.
I didn't associate that with back pain but when you get a gas bubble lodged in your upper GI tract, like when your drinking, that's where the pain is the sharpest. I don't consider where my innards and organs are except from a frontal view, it you look down on the human body from the top, the esophagus runs a lot closer to the back than we think it does.

I tell ya, if that's what it is, I earned it. My habits deserve acid reflux and I am lucky to have escaped it thus far. I can hear my Doc, sounding a lot like Xelda and believe me, that will be addressed later. "Why do you think I asked about how many drinks and cigars and I didn't even get to the spicy foods yet"? Hell, he doesn't even know about the spicy foods yet. To which I will use my usual defense of prolonging life by denying myself that which brings me joy is not a life enjoyed. But he's got me this time, the black hearted killjoy, it's not about prolonging life but not spending it up in the middle of the night with a knife in your back.

My Doc won't admit it but he's just jealous. He's got his 2nd wife, 5 kids with 2 in college, wants to retire and has managed to semi-retire and he sees me, footloose and fancy free (I actually did the last dance number from Footloose the first time I met him in the exam room and he was visibly impressed and won't admit it, pulling that off in just my boxers was no small feat) drinking, smoking, boating and living the life, or so it would seem to him. So, he's got to take something away from me only I don't have a lot to choose from but my hole card is spicy foods, I can give that up without losing a lot. He doesn't know about that yet and I am waiting for just the right moment to spring that one on him. Aha!! Spicy foods, you can have that. Now, have a two cigars and whisky and call me on the morning.

And Runny, my friend, therein lies my greatest fear, confession time. I do not fear death, in fact would welcome it sometimes, but there are so few things in life that I really enjoy and while I have alluded to it before, I am a depressed person with mood swings that can be so abrupt they even startle me. Cigars and whiskey are simple things to some people but that represents my only two sins left to enjoy. I fear me without that, without those two releases that I look forward to at the end of the day. As strange as it sounds, they keep my sanity.

And while I am at it, thanks to the Popsadoodles for allowing me to use one of my best self treatments, posting here. This is therapy that you cannot underestimate the effectiveness of and I've been using this site, as well as the old one, for that for many years and I didn't even realize it, but my wife did. I don't even need responses, just sharing keeps the darkness away. And it is always there, just waiting. And part of me likes that.

And ya know, what I know of Pops, I think he would be proud that one he did not know could use his thread, even though he might no agree with his lifestyle. It strikes me that he was a patient and tolerant soul and not the judgmental type. I have felt for a long time that it was no accident that I wandered into this thread and became so attached to it and I feel for others that I have not found it and become part of it. They could kick me off this site, that would not be fun at all, but not to be able to come here when I need it would be torture. I come here each day and see that you've all signed in and the world is right, at least my little part of it.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I didn't associate that with back pain but when you get a gas bubble lodged in your upper GI tract, like when your drinking, that's where the pain is the sharpest. I don't consider where my innards and organs are except from a frontal view, it you look down on the human body from the top, the esophagus runs a lot closer to the back than we think it does.

I tell ya, if that's what it is, I earned it. My habits deserve acid reflux and I am lucky to have escaped it thus far. I can hear my Doc, sounding a lot like Xelda and believe me, that will be addressed later. "Why do you think I asked about how many drinks and cigars and I didn't even get to the spicy foods yet"? Hell, he doesn't even know about the spicy foods yet. To which I will use my usual defense of prolonging life by denying myself that which brings me joy is not a life enjoyed. But he's got me this time, the black hearted killjoy, it's not about prolonging life but not spending it up in the middle of the night with a knife in your back.

My Doc won't admit it but he's just jealous. He's got his 2nd wife, 5 kids with 2 in college, wants to retire and has managed to semi-retire and he sees me, footloose and fancy free (I actually did the last dance number from Footloose the first time I met him in the exam room and he was visibly impressed and won't admit it, pulling that off in just my boxers was no small feat) drinking, smoking, boating and living the life, or so it would seem to him. So, he's got to take something away from me only I don't have a lot to choose from but my hole card is spicy foods, I can give that up without losing a lot. He doesn't know about that yet and I am waiting for just the right moment to spring that one on him. Aha!! Spicy foods, you can have that. Now, have a two cigars and whisky and call me on the morning.

And Runny, my friend, therein lies my greatest fear, confession time. I do not fear death, in fact would welcome it sometimes, but there are so few things in life that I really enjoy and while I have alluded to it before, I am a depressed person with mood swings that can be so abrupt they even startle me. Cigars and whiskey are simple things to some people but that represents my only two sins left to enjoy. I fear me without that, without those two releases that I look forward to at the end of the day. As strange as it sounds, they keep my sanity.

And while I am at it, thanks to the Popsadoodles for allowing me to use one of my best self treatments, posting here. This is therapy that you cannot underestimate the effectiveness of and I've been using this site, as well as the old one, for that for many years and I didn't even realize it, but my wife did. I don't even need responses, just sharing keeps the darkness away. And it is always there, just waiting. And part of me likes that.

And ya know, what I know of Pops, I think he would be proud that one he did not know could use his thread, even though he might no agree with his lifestyle. It strikes me that he was a patient and tolerant soul and not the judgmental type. I have felt for a long time that it was no accident that I wandered into this thread and became so attached to it and I feel for others that I have not found it and become part of it. They could kick me off this site, that would not be fun at all, but not to be able to come here when I need it would be torture. I come here each day and see that you've all signed in and the world is right, at least my little part of it.
Stop trying to make Xelda cry!

I don't know if your doc told you there's nothing he can do about the acid reflux, but I'm pretty sure there are meds that can help considerably....Whether they can help enough for you to continue eating spicy foods, smoking cigars, and drinking, I couldn't say, with any degree of expertise, but maybe just cutting down on the jalapenos and such would allow you to enjoy your priorities. Life is nothing, without something to enjoy the crap out of...................sigh..................................Damn, I miss Hooters.

Xelda

Reaction score
I hate to cut that short, but wanted to get to your last sentence. You aren't the only one who feels that way. Seeing this small troop for friends (and drive by friends) sign in each day means a lot to me. This week was really hard and I refused to inflict my suffering upon all of you. No one could help me outside of just posting so I'd know y'all are all right. After the waking up to pain post, I was ready to start panicking if you didn't come in today and post soon. I'm tempted to tell you to set your alarm clock to post earlier. Dancing a Footloose dance in your boxers for your doctor is quite similar to the mating dance of the Dodo. I won't tell anyone in gen pop about that.
Stop trying to make Xelda cry!

I don't know if your doc told you there's nothing he can do about the acid reflux, but I'm pretty sure there are meds that can help considerably....Whether they can help enough for you to continue eating spicy foods, smoking cigars, and drinking, I couldn't say, with any degree of expertise, but maybe just cutting down on the jalapenos and such would allow you to enjoy your priorities. Life is nothing, without something to enjoy the crap out of...................sigh..................................Damn, I miss Hooters.
Coach, you'd better listen to Runny! He's our voice of reason when we run amok. We'll have to be his at a Hooter's conventions, so it balances out.

I'm sorry about your Hooters, Runny. I'll bet you enjoy it more than ever when it opens again. Absence makes the heart grow fonder. I'm going to appreciate the dickens out of being able to purchase two of the same thing without having one taken from me by the cashier.