FEATURED Morning Pops!

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
Morning, Pops and peeps. The A/C in my truck is acting up. It starts off blowing cold air, but blows warmer and warmer the further I drive. I suspect a faulty expansion valve or malfunctioning condenser, but hoping its less serious. So I took it to the mechanic and they drive it the next day and let it idle for 30 minutes and the dang thing was still blowing 47° air. They waive the $99 diagnostic fee and tell me to bring it back if it happens again, which it did. I'm going to drive it until it blows hot air today and then take it in and see if they can run their tests while it's still acting up.
I gotta get that thing fixed. The 460 trick doesn't keep me cool. (four windows down, driving 60 mph.)

Have a great day, Y'all.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do not put beans in my chili except occasionally and I only use black beans or dark red kidneys.

If I am making a pot o pintos, it's a ham hock or smoked sausage with plenty of chunky pico de gallo on top and jalapeno cornbread. But that's a cold weather dish to me.

Chili is a cold weather dish to me but in Texas, they have the chili cook offs in July and August and that's the last thing I want in triple digit weather.

There are just some foods that are very seasonal to me and chili and beans fall in to fall/winter. However, I got this cold bean salad, blacks and red kidneys, that I've been making for about 35 years that is one of the best summer dishes I've ever had.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Morning, Pops and peeps. The A/C in my truck is acting up. It starts off blowing cold air, but blows warmer and warmer the further I drive. I suspect a faulty expansion valve or malfunctioning condenser, but hoping its less serious. So I took it to the mechanic and they drive it the next day and let it idle for 30 minutes and the dang thing was still blowing 47° air. They waive the $99 diagnostic fee and tell me to bring it back if it happens again, which it did. I'm going to drive it until it blows hot air today and then take it in and see if they can run their tests while it's still acting up.
I gotta get that thing fixed. The 460 trick doesn't keep me cool. (four windows down, driving 60 mph.)

Have a great day, Y'all.
I am not a person that tolerates the heat well. I prefer to be a cool cucumber as opposed to a hot tamale.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Refried? I think they are pinto.
Yep, they are. And if they don't have lard in them, they're not real refried beans.

It's kinda funny how things circle back. For years, it was margarine, or as my Mamaw called it, oleo, as opposed to that demon butter and then they discovered trans fats and now, they're finding that lard isn't the demon it was purported to be. Pork products used to catch a lot of heat but the way it is processed today, trichinosis is a thing of the past.

I still hear some people play the R game for oysters, don't eat them unless the month has an R in it so avoid May-August. The R became refrigeration, once that was invented; however, they've had an outbreak in Washington because of the heat affected the oyster beds so that still has some application in the northwest but in the gulf? Doesn't matter if the beds are clean, it's a different oyster.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Yep, they are. And if they don't have lard in them, they're not real refried beans.

It's kinda funny how things circle back. For years, it was margarine, or as my Mamaw called it, oleo, as opposed to that demon butter and then they discovered trans fats and now, they're finding that lard isn't the demon it was purported to be. Pork products used to catch a lot of heat but the way it is processed today, trichinosis is a thing of the past.

I still hear some people play the R game for oysters, don't eat them unless the month has an R in it so avoid May-August. The R became refrigeration, once that was invented; however, they've had an outbreak in Washington because of the heat affected the oyster beds so that still has some application in the northwest but in the gulf? Doesn't matter if the beds are clean, it's a different oyster.
I'm a huge fan of South Western/Mexican food. Turns out my niece has that gene. We eat tacos multiple times a week. It's a fun time, plus you can change it up each time.

I'm not sure what's happening, but my taste has changed. I never cared much for seafood and now I like it more and more.

LeonDixson

Reaction score

Same thing with eggs and coffee. Grew up on eggs and then suddenly just smelling one would clog your arteries. Now they're good for you again. I say eat what you want to eat and thumb your nose at the "experts". You'll die quicker from the stress of worrying about it than you will by eating ham and eggs and buttered toast. (Oops, make that whole grain toast.):laugh:

LeonDixson

Reaction score
Wonderful, magical fruit... I dare not continue.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/...8VLUFKGBC&trk_link=KBA0O74T47G431COMF0T8MB5T8

Cyclist Killed in Grizzly Bear Attack

https://ci3.***BROKEN***/proxy/QWbZJg8hN1S9M3gph2934Cuxvrop8uExpRWMafVUmmT5nKxdXjvsnX_Ro_ezHpjh60O0a1HqVbceE_YU0O4Q9xdOTmN7=s0-d-e1-ft#https://mediacdn.espssl.com/9810/griz%20attack.jpg

One person was killed in a grizzly bear attack near Ovando, Montana, east of Missoula earlier this month. According to law enforcement with the Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks, or FWP Human Attack Response Team, the person was killed in the early hours last Tuesday morning... Full Article

Be careful out there, Colo. Keep that .300 WinMag handy.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm a huge fan of South Western/Mexican food. Turns out my niece has that gene. We eat tacos multiple times a week. It's a fun time, plus you can change it up each time.

I'm not sure what's happening, but my taste has changed. I never cared much for seafood and now I like it more and more.
Same here, my tastes have changed over time and I've also noticed textures seem to matter more. I cannot choke down mushy food, not even mac n cheese or mashed potatoes, unless they're sweet potatoes.

With you and your niece on that Southwestern/Mexican and Tex Mex food as well as Asian, the variety within is endless. I've been eating enchiladas, tacos, (the Anglo version), and used to drink frozen margs and didn't know all were created in Dallas. Real Mexican and TexMex are not that closely related.

There was this food truck in Austin, 2nd highest number in the country behind LA, that this former cook at some TexMex and Thai restaurants ran and it was great. He took corn or flour tortillas, egg roll wrappers, rice paper or won ton wrappers and put all of these different fillings in them and he had this picadillo in an egg roll wrapper that was outrageous.

I hope he made it. I thought the food trucks would survive this better than the brick and mortars but the first casualty here was the Silver Spartan, the best food truck I've experienced with a Philly Cheesesteak I would put up against Jim's or Pat's in Philly and a Gyro that was flat out magical.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Same thing with eggs and coffee. Grew up on eggs and then suddenly just smelling one would clog your arteries. Now they're good for you again. I say eat what you want to eat and thumb your nose at the "experts". You'll die quicker from the stress of worrying about it than you will by eating ham and eggs and buttered toast. (Oops, make that whole grain toast.):laugh:
When the Atkins Diet appeared, which was really the old Air Force Diet, I asked my Doc about it and he said he wasn't liking it because of the overuse of meat products, cheese and eggs and resulting cholesterol levels and I ignored him and did it anyway, because of what he didn't like about it. Steak and cheese and bacon and sausage and eggs, oh my!

The next time I saw him, I'd dropped 25 and he asked me how and I told him and he says that he's got patients on it now and the blood panels were not affected unless it made them better and he said it had really opened some eyes about how our bodies process foods. An increase in egg consumption and the LDL's coming down didn't make sense to a lot of medical people.

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
Would the people who passed at 80 have changed their life and eaten nothing but bland food if they'd then lived to be 82?

I agree w/ what I'm hearing, as long as you're not smoking, just try to eat reasonable. I seriously doubt if it makes that much difference.