FEATURED Morning Pops!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Different circumstances, but I'm the same way now. Had near effortless perfection for a few years, she passed and now I literally have zero desire to look again, lol.
Do your family and friends bother you about that? Mine did for a while when I passed the "allowed mourning point" and should have gotten back in the game. And that word "effortless" is the key. They say people have to work at marriage and I think they just get tired of all the work. Hell, work a job and then have to work a marriage? And like one of our fellow members said, he was the only one willing to put the work in.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Do your family and friends bother you about that? Mine did for a while when I passed the "allowed mourning point" and should have gotten back in the game. And that word "effortless" is the key. They say people have to work at marriage and I think they just get tired of all the work. Hell, work a job and then have to work a marriage? And like one of our fellow members said, he was the only one willing to put the work in.
I lost my wife and son in the same miserable thump, so my family has always been supportive and not really on one side or the other. Never really thought about that until you asked.
My friends are different, but never put a timeline on mourning. It's not like I'm "over it" just got used to the circumstances for what it is.
I go on group dates with friends, sort of like a stunt double but as friends and I'm good with that. I never considered marriage work much. It was WAY more work afterward. And dating women these days is a straight GD nightmare if you ask me.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I had the right one, but not for nearly long enough... as if it could be when it's the right one. That alone for the rest of forever thing is looking like a real possibility. He set the bar too high.
Darlin, my forever is a hell of a lot shorter than what went before it.

Ya know, at first I was as lost as a man could be, didn't know what to do, kept another house for almost two years and just wasted the money not to mention the emotion of having to go into it but then one day I woke up. I had to get myself out of limbo and figure out what kind of future I would have. One day I just decided I can do this. I will have to do it alone but I can do this.

I am right there with you about the quality of the person and the standard set and when you lose someone, as you and G and I have, they get better over time so that no person can compete with that memory. It's different if one had a bad marriage but I have noticed that my family and friends that have had bad marriages are prone to get a repeat performance. My sister-in-law went from a physically abusive alcoholic to a verbally abusive and possessive alcoholic.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I lost my wife and son in the same miserable thump, so my family has always been supportive and not really on one side or the other. Never really thought about that until you asked.
My friends are different, but never put a timeline on mourning. It's not like I'm "over it" just got used to the circumstances for what it is.
I go on group dates with friends, sort of like a stunt double but as friends and I'm good with that. I never considered marriage work much. It was WAY more work afterward. And dating women these days is a straight GD nightmare if you ask me.
I didn't know you'd lost both, really sorry you had to endure that.

I've heard the dating nightmare from both sides and have tried to have two female friendships but they ended up wanting more, guess "I'm just too sexy for myself"? My wife and I went on double dates with friends that had gone through divorces and both decided dating was no fun.

Now, if I were interested, I wouldn't go for a widow, can't compete with a memory but a woman from a bad marriage, especially an abuser, I could be a step up from that. Could be, unless he was a good handyman. However, my lack of skills around the house, garage and yard have created a keen sense of humor and a flair for the entertainment. If I were looking, I'd be searching for a hot, nymphomaniac, contortionist plumber.

GrammaJan

Reaction score
'Liking' this one seems odd. Rotten circumstances. I'm sorry you had to deal with that.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I didn't know you'd lost both, really sorry you had to endure that.

I've heard the dating nightmare from both sides and have tried to have two female friendships but they ended up wanting more, guess "I'm just too sexy for myself"? My wife and I went on double dates with friends that had gone through divorces and both decided dating was no fun.

Now, if I were interested, I wouldn't go for a widow, can't compete with a memory but a woman from a bad marriage, especially an abuser, I could be a step up from that. Could be, unless he was a good handyman. However, my lack of skills around the house, garage and yard have created a keen sense of humor and a flair for the entertainment. If I were looking, I'd be searching for a hot, nymphomaniac, contortionist plumber.
How did I not know that about you? I'm sorry, brother.
'Liking' this one seems odd. Rotten circumstances. I'm sorry you had to deal with that.
All good. I'm a glass is half full kind of guy most of the time, though to be candid - at the time it was a severe kick to the junk and I hated everything. But many things came of it. The incident brought me into the fire service and ultimately my profession, I have and can appreciate a very dark and inappropriate sense of humor and most importantly life is us, not things.
We're all in this mess together.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We didn't Like it because of the usual situation but the fact he felt comfortable to divulge that. I've known G2 for as long as I've been on these forums and never knew what battles he'd been fighting. Glad I was kind to him cuz he can get testy.

BTW, in case you didn't know it, G2 is responsible for all of the Bacon stuff that's been going on for years. He also had the Fireside Chat forum installed on the old DC.com but for me, one to easily wander off topic, I didn't want a fireside chat, I wanted to be off topic, whatever that topic might be. I once postjacked the thread This Thread is About Nothing, my shining moment. Had another, Random Thoughts, and I thought they'd done that just for me.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All good. I'm a glass is half full kind of guy most of the time, though to be candid - at the time it was a severe kick to the junk and I hated everything. But many things came of it. The incident brought me into the fire service and ultimately my profession, I have and can appreciate a very dark and inappropriate sense of humor and most importantly life is us, not things.
Can't Like it twice, brother.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I considered asking if that was why you became a firefighter, but I'm not typically one to perpetuate that type of conversation.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I considered asking if that was why you became a firefighter, but I'm not typically one to perpetuate that type of conversation.
Not me, I perpetuate it thinking they want to discuss it but am quite surprised to find this out about someone I've posted with for so many years. And time was, in one offseason, it was really just G2, The Gip, Primetime00 and myself driving the conversation about stripper poles and Pacman when he dropped the bacon bomb. However, that was a different time as well. I went through losing Dad, wife and Mom without telling anyone before I learned the healing possibility of something like this.

Never dawned on me, I was one of the class clowns and going through some real life heartache and sharing that didn't seem the thing to do, better to just leave. Surely do it different if I had to do that over again and hope others learn from my mistake. You are not leaning on people that want to be leaned on, they're holding you up.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Yeah, I have a rich family history to be fair, 4th generation firefighter, but it wasn't until later I realize it was in me. After some time to get my head straight, I couldn't get started any faster and I dug in. One of the best decisions I've ever made.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Not me, I perpetuate it thinking they want to discuss it but am quite surprised to find this out about someone I've posted with for so many years. And time was, in one offseason, it was really just G2, The Gip, Primetime00 and myself driving the conversation about stripper poles and Pacman when he dropped the bacon bomb. However, that was a different time as well. I went through losing Dad, wife and Mom without telling anyone before I learned the healing possibility of something like this.

Never dawned on me, I was one of the class clowns and going through some real life heartache and sharing that didn't seem the thing to do, better to just leave. Surely do it different if I had to do that over again and hope others learn from my mistake. You are not leaning on people that want to be leaned on, they're holding you up.
I don't typically talk about it much, but I find myself sharing it when folks think they have a rough go. It helps bring a different perspective. Not only could things be worse, they very well might. I train younger people now. I bring it up, but to motivate helping people who can't help themselves. Puts a little meat on it and they listen every time. The strange thing about volunteers in the fire service is that these people are nuts. Some of the things they do, places they put themselves in to help a stranger should be better illustrated these days. Hell, if it's a pet and you say jump - we say how high? It's fulfilling, everyone should try it.

I loved those days. "topic of the day" was therapy. Talk about pushing the line. Bacon, strippers, Pacman, bellybuttons......great times. Wish that board didn't give us an unexplained boot.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't typically talk about it much, but I find myself sharing it when folks think they have a rough go. It helps bring a different perspective. Not only could things be worse, they very well might. I train younger people now. I bring it up, but to motivate helping people who can't help themselves. Puts a little meat on it and they listen every time. The strange thing about volunteers in the fire service is that these people are nuts. Some of the things they do, places they put themselves in to help a stranger should be better illustrated these days. Hell, if it's a pet and you say jump - we say how high? It's fulfilling, everyone should try it.

I loved those days. "topic of the day" was therapy. Talk about pushing the line. Bacon, strippers, Pacman, bellybuttons......great times. Wish that board didn't give us an unexplained boot.
Topic of the Day, we successfully drove Rob Phillips off that assignment.

I thought we'd have more time to get everyone on the boats but we left stragglers. I really felt for the mods over there, they were treated like crap by some of the members and the team. Posters thought they were in on it and they were kept in the dark just as we were. They did their best to preserve order and I didn't make their jobs any easier with the topic situation and I do think they were a little look the other way with me because I knew all but one, the one that didn't like me for dissing on Booger, before they were mods and they would play with me.

I did get a funny PM over there about 6 months before it shut down. At first it was reprimanding me for straying but then it changed and the poster said he didn't realize for a while that I wasn't intentionally postjacking and he thought it was rude but then after a while realized that was just my mind at work. He said he'd not seen a stream of consciousness like that written and I must have a lot of fun with my selves. Cracked me up cuz I'd played that MPD early on as a mask for my derailed train of thought.

But G, I don't know if it's just the passing of time but I do like the interactions here better than there. There's this permission to talk about whatever's on your mind here and that thread when a poster was going through a tough divorce really opened this up to me. You can get whatever therapy you want here.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Topic of the Day, we successfully drove Rob Phillips off that assignment.

I thought we'd have more time to get everyone on the boats but we left stragglers. I really felt for the mods over there, they were treated like crap by some of the members and the team. Posters thought they were in on it and they were kept in the dark just as we were. They did their best to preserve order and I didn't make their jobs any easier with the topic situation and I do think they were a little look the other way with me because I knew all but one, the one that didn't like me for dissing on Booger, before they were mods and they would play with me.

I did get a funny PM over there about 6 months before it shut down. At first it was reprimanding me for straying but then it changed and the poster said he didn't realize for a while that I wasn't intentionally postjacking and he thought it was rude but then after a while realized that was just my mind at work. He said he'd not seen a stream of consciousness like that written and I must have a lot of fun with my selves. Cracked me up cuz I'd played that MPD early on as a mask for my derailed train of thought.

But G, I don't know if it's just the passing of time but I do like the interactions here better than there. There's this permission to talk about whatever's on your mind here and that thread when a poster was going through a tough divorce really opened this up to me. You can get whatever therapy you want here.
I like it here, but there are some peeps who are just miserable bullies.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like it here, but there are some peeps who are just miserable bullies.
Yeah, there's less emphasis on how they treat one another than the old forum. Mods over there would address someone calling another poster stupid. They're too busy trying to catch political posts here. I had to ask what constitutes political and one response was if you think it might be political, don't post it.

But I try to spend most of my time out of the Fan Zone and usually do not spend as much time on this site as I did the other.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yeah, there's less emphasis on how they treat one another than the old forum. Mods over there would address someone calling another poster stupid. They're too busy trying to catch political posts here. I had to ask what constitutes political and one response was if you think it might be political, don't post it.

But I try to spend most of my time out of the Fan Zone and usually do not spend as much time on this site as I did the other.
There seems to be less camaraderie here than there was there, in the sense that when someone was attacked, there would be at least one or two posters sticking up for him with a "mess with him, you mess with me" attitude. You see it a little here, but not to the same degree, I don't think.

GrammaJan

Reaction score
There seems to be less camaraderie here than there was there, in the sense that when someone was attacked, there would be at least one or two posters sticking up for him with a "mess with him, you mess with me" attitude. You see it a little here, but not to the same degree, I don't think.
It's our little oasis:rolleyes:... Everyone singing Kumbaya, holding hands, hugging... and some of us even shave!:D