Twitter: Mortensen: Jerry Jones infatuated with Pitts

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Well, yeah. As we all know the entire team is the QB. We should just make it a tennis match and go one-on-one.
The other players don't matter.

When Dalton was the QB, his classic defense was that "no team can win with our defense".

Yet when Dak is the QB he just isnt good enough to make a difference.

Jerry hasnt been able to build a legitimate caliber defense in 25 years. Yet NOW he wont be able to do it because of Dak's salary.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Nobody cares about Dak’s stats..

I’m judging Dak from all the years he has been here.

We are a better football team when he does less.

It’s so stupid to pump your chest about Dak’s numbers.. Like you really have to ignore a lot of context as to why those numbers were so high but hey that’s your lack of football knowledge kicking in so all I can say is be better.
Keep talking, this is hilarious.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Alright. I'm done with this business.
On to things I actually might take seriously.
Not some goob saying goob things because he's got goob angst while not understanding the team he roots for.

Oh yeah- my excuse is ready and it's fact and founded @CATCH17
You keep talking about Neverland and outlandish crap like the QB's record makes a difference, no matter the point production and the rest of the team.

Big_D

Reaction score
A Jerry move is sit where we are and draft Surtain or move back a few spots and draft some other non impact player.

I wish Jerry was as crazy as some of you think.

He constantly makes smart football moves and does the status quo thing to do and we get nowhere.

Dallas needs to take some risks.

This franchise has become boring and predictable. A yearly rerun.

If he made smart moves they don't draft a RB at 4, a severely injured LB at 34, Gregory in round 2, Escobar in round 2, Trysten Hill, Taco, trade up for Lawrence and claiborne .. on and and on it goes. Stay put and use common sense. Not this garbage. Jerry's a turd everywhere, not just in the "war room". Hilarious that they still call it that. The status quo exists because the owners a moron. That's been on display for a long time. Then when you're that clueless you have to make in season trades to compensate and it never equals out. Maybe come October they can trade next years 1st and then overpay whoever that lucky player is?

plasticman

Reaction score
Whatever happened to somebody else doing the decision making? How long did that last.....6 months?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Yes.. Irrelevant can lead to Trevor Lawrence.

I’d much rather have Trevor Lawrence, a real talent, for cheap over the next 5 years than our overpaid bus driver.
He’ll of a bus driver leading the Cowboys offense to the top the last couple years.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If he made smart moves they don't draft a RB at 4, a severely injured LB at 34, Gregory in round 2, Escobar in round 2, Trysten Hill, Taco, trade up for Lawrence and claiborne .. on and and on it goes. Stay put and use common sense. Not this garbage. Jerry's a turd everywhere, not just in the "war room". Hilarious that they still call it that. The status quo exists because the owners a moron. That's been on display for a long time. Then when you're that clueless you have to make in season trades to compensate and it never equals out. Maybe come October they can trade next years 1st and then overpay whoever that lucky player is?

You’re cherry picking.

Dallas is good at drafting.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I respect you for still being a fan.

I’m a loyal dude.

I hate this current team and I still cheer for them. (Unless cheering against them improves our draft position)

Big_D

Reaction score
You’re cherry picking.

Dallas is good at drafting.

That's not cherry picking. There's no results at all that says they're good at drafting. Individual talent has amounted to absolutely nothing. This is 'team' building and Jerry sucks at it.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Anyone that understands football and how the draft works is going to take Pitts over your favorite defensive player.

You’re laughing at something you don’t have the football IQ to understand.

It’s literally a Potential Greg Ellis vs Randy Moss type scenario and you’re laughing at me for wanting to not repeat the wrong side of history again.

The sad thing about our situation is that the Greg Ellis vs. Randy Moss situation has been ripping Jerry apart for the last many years. In my mind, and I'd imagine others, it's water under the bridge at this point. Can't change the past, no matter how Jerry tries. He just can't let that mistake out of his mind. Trading for Joey Galloway, signing TO who desecrated the star (admittedly, one of my favourite Cowboys), trading for Roy Williams, Dez, and Lamb (great selection, but just an additional point). Now he's on about Pitts apparently. It just seems, since Moss, any time a high profile WR is potentially on the market or going to be drafted, Jerry seems to be in on the action so as to not pass up on the next Randy Moss. This curse this team has been under isn't so much the Jimmy Johnson curse, in my mind. It's been the Randy Moss curse. I really hope Jerry can let that go finally. The vast majority of our problems are on our defence. I'm aware that this league isn't exactly pro-defence, but we couldn't even play mediocre defence last year. Mediocre would be an improvement over last year. Thus, we MUST fix the glaring holes on defence. That's where my head is at with this choice. I have no issues with us taking PItts as long as we don't trade up for him and as long as we address defence with at least the vast majority of the remainder of the draft. Bare minimum, we need a 1T DT, CB, and FS. I'd love a LB as well if we can manage it, but those 3 are MUSTS in this draft to hit on.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The sad thing about our situation is that the Greg Ellis vs. Randy Moss situation has been ripping Jerry apart for the last many years. In my mind, and I'd imagine others, it's water under the bridge at this point. Can't change the past, no matter how Jerry tries. He just can't let that mistake out of his mind. Trading for Joey Galloway, signing TO who desecrated the star (admittedly, one of my favourite Cowboys), trading for Roy Williams, Dez, and Lamb (great selection, but just an additional point). Now he's on about Pitts apparently. It just seems, since Moss, any time a high profile WR is potentially on the market or going to be drafted, Jerry seems to be in on the action so as to not pass up on the next Randy Moss. This curse this team has been under isn't so much the Jimmy Johnson curse, in my mind. It's been the Randy Moss curse. I really hope Jerry can let that go finally. The vast majority of our problems are on our defence. I'm aware that this league isn't exactly pro-defence, but we couldn't even play mediocre defence last year. Mediocre would be an improvement over last year. Thus, we MUST fix the glaring holes on defence. That's where my head is at with this choice. I have no issues with us taking PItts as long as we don't trade up for him and as long as we address defence with at least the vast majority of the remainder of the draft. Bare minimum, we need a 1T DT, CB, and FS. I'd love a LB as well if we can manage it, but those 3 are MUSTS in this draft to hit on.

I think just going back to a style of bend don’t break is going to fix a lot of our problems.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I think just going back to a style of bend don’t break is going to fix a lot of our problems.

Certainly would be an improvement over last year. I'd like for our defence to get more takeaways and be a bit more aggressive. This is where I think Quinn will be a better fit for our defence. He uses a lot of the bend but don't break defence that this team is accustomed to. They use a lot of the same stunts that this team enjoys using. However, his schemes in Seattle and Atlanta allowed the DBs to be more aggressive at the same time. There's a reason that the Seahawks, for a while, had a defence that teams simply struggled to get into the end zone against. They'd give up plenty of yards between the 20s. However, while Quinn was in Seattle and while he was at his best in Atlanta, once someone got into the 20s, they frequently be settling for field goals at best. Yet, the aggressiveness of the DBs would allow his secondary to generate interceptions as well, which we need. By and large, I think the bend don't break will be a big help. With the firepower we already have across the board on offense, just keeping teams to an average of 25-30 points per game should be enough to get us to 12-5 imo (given the teams we're going to face). As stated, I don't want us trading up to get Pitts because of our problems on defence. But, if Pitts falls to us at 10, then by all means, Jerry may fire when ready. I just want mostly defence the rest of the way. Pitts would allow our offense additional firepower.

In fact, in all seriousness, the draft I envision, if we go Pitts at 10, is McNeil at 44, Holland at 75, Adebo (CB Stanford), and Schwartz WR Auburn (round 4). Schwartz is a 4.2 WR who, if you give him the football, fasten your seatbelts cuz he'll run like Sonic the Hedgehog. He's also a monster of a KR with his speed. So, I envision 5 WRs between Coop, Gallup, Lamb, Schwartz, and Wilson. At TE, we'd have Pitts, Jarwin, and Schultz. I'd have 3 WRs, and 2 TEs on in most packages. Then, of course, there's Zeke. What do you think of this vision?

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Agreed. Sit back, and let the draft come to you, Jerry. If Pitts falls, great! If not, then see what defence is available. Lamb fell to us last year. We didn't have to do anything other than just pick who came to us. Same should go for this draft.
True.
Let the draft come to you.
Someone unexpected usually falls.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Lamb no but that was because of availability.

LVE.. Yes.. We all knew it besides you I guess.

Charlton.. I can’t remember.

Trysten Hill.. Yes..

Byron Jones.. Yes..

Martin... No.. We knew they wanted Donald

Frederick.. No.. Caught everyone off guard.

If I recall correctly, Charlton was known within a few days of the draft. I remember watching a mock draft on ESPN that year and they had Charlton to us. In fact, I think that whole week leading up the the draft, the major mocks had us going Charlton. So, that I think was a known pick.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I call BS ( and Hill was drafted in the 2nd round )

We didn't have a 1st that year because we used it in the trade for Cooper. In effect, Hill was our first pick that draft, and Hill was known to be who our FO wanted. That was mainly a Marinelli idea, but Catch is actually right in what he said about Hill.