Creeper

Reaction score
For help

Here's IMDb's top 100

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls055592025/

The only one in the top 25 I haven't seen is
#15) Sunset Blvd

Guess I'll have to rent it sometime.

Pretty good list although I think some of the movies here should not be on this list. Dances with Wolves? Not Gunga Din? Of this list there are 3 I know I have never watched and 2 I do not recall watching. I confess to never having watched any of the Lord of the Rings movies. Some I wish I never watched.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The Godfather (from start to finish)

Animal House

Caddyshack
The Godfather I can understand...Even Animal House, depending on your age........but Caddyshack??? Okay, I guess I can see that too, depending on your age.

To be honest, I don't think the humor in the latter two would hold up today. They're both pretty corny at times. But when they came out, they were top notch comedy.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Every movie lover generation is the same. We are like kids at a museum dinosaur exhibit. You can see it in kids' faces.

There are the kids with eyes already glazed over, looking at the exhibit, and groaning, "OMG. It's bones. Boring. Let's go already." There are the other kids, whose eyes are wide, filled with awe and wonder.

Everyone have their own preferences but a good movie is a good movie no matter when it was released. Movies are created through the imaginations of producers, directors, actors, etc. Any good movie, no matter how old, can be enjoyed by a movie lover if they have a big enough imagination.

A few generations down the road, Avengers: Endgame will be another old movie to some. Like The Wizard of Oz is now. Or Ben-Hur. Or The Godfather. Or Back To The Future. Or Terminator 2. Just a few titles that hold little or no interest to young folks now.

Not all future young folks though. Some will use whatever technology they have at their fingertips, watch Endgame and be thoroughly entertained. Family and friends will say, "That's old. Why watch boring stuff like that?" And some will just smile and reply they like it, before giving some ancient movie called The Wizard of Oz a look-see.

Movies are eternal!

/crystal ball rant

Xelda

Reaction score
Nothing frickin' happens. During the whole movie. What in hades is the attraction?
The only attraction was at the end. I wish that man would have done that in the beginning and saved us all that time. It's one of those movies that I felt my life slipping away. I took a 15 minute bathroom break and watched the guy clean out the popcorn machine. That was better than the movie to me.

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
lord of the rings franchise
harry potter franchise
I own both series and watch them every year.

Just goes to show how diverse the tastes are of our members and there's no such thing as "good taste", just personal taste.

I know people that do not cotton to the fantasy side of film and that's what draws me. I seek escapism and I'll pick a B fantasy over an A drama like "Schindler's List" or "Hotel Rwanda" almost every time. Dramas based on true stories are effective and make me feel, I just try to avoid those feelings most of the time. Walking out of a theater feeling more down than when I entered ain't entertainment to me.

My wife and I referred to a trip to the movies as the "lost and found". For those two hours, being lost was soul satisfying.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I own both series and watch them every year.

Just goes to show how diverse the tastes are of our members and there's no such thing as "good taste", just personal taste.

I know people that do not cotton to the fantasy side of film and that's what draws me. I seek escapism and I'll pick a B fantasy over an A drama like "Schindler's List" or "Hotel Rwanda" almost every time. Dramas based on true stories are effective and make me feel, I just try to avoid those feelings most of the time. Walking out of a theater feeling more down than when I entered ain't entertainment to me.

My wife and I referred to a trip to the movies as the "lost and found". For those two hours, being lost was soul satisfying.
Flash Gordon and Schindler's List are as opposite a comparison as can be made, both of which I enjoyed immensely. There are certain movies I either care for little or not at all but I have loved movies in practically all film genres.

There is one hangup I do have for a handful of movies. It is the few that have cut me so deeply I have seen them only once or perhaps twice.

The vast number of dark dramas or comedies have never come across as revolting to me as Se7en. Excellent movie but HOW WELL each specific sin was shown on screen truly chilled me to the bone like almost no other. I promised myself I would never watch it again in its entirety after the first time I saw it. That self-promise remains unbroken to this day.

The Passion Of The Christ crushed my soul. I felt so drained that it took me about two minutes to get up out of my seat and exit the theater. The next time I watched it from my living room sofa. I have no shame admitting I went straight to bed and cried my grown <expletive> man to sleep. That was the second and final time I would put myself through that experience.

Movies are entertaining but they impact people in different ways. For me, the one kicker has always been what exactly does anyone perceive AS entertainment?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Every movie lover generation is the same. We are like kids at a museum dinosaur exhibit. You can see it in kids' faces.

There are the kids with eyes already glazed over, looking at the exhibit, and groaning, "OMG. It's bones. Boring. Let's go already." There are the other kids, whose eyes are wide, filled with awe and wonder.

Everyone have their own preferences but a good movie is a good movie no matter when it was released. Movies are created through the imaginations of producers, directors, actors, etc. Any good movie, no matter how old, can be enjoyed by a movie lover if they have a big enough imagination.

A few generations down the road, Avengers: Endgame will be another old movie to some. Like The Wizard of Oz is now. Or Ben-Hur. Or The Godfather. Or Back To The Future. Or Terminator 2. Just a few titles that hold little or no interest to young folks now.

Not all future young folks though. Some will use whatever technology they have at their fingertips, watch Endgame and be thoroughly entertained. Family and friends will say, "That's old. Why watch boring stuff like that?" And some will just smile and reply they like it, before giving some ancient movie called The Wizard of Oz a look-see.

Movies are eternal!

/crystal ball rant
Nope

quickccc

Reaction score
I almost forgot I had made a clip of that quote scene for the Best Movie Villain thread:

KK4IBGQ.gif

Perhaps I will re-do it with sound. :p

LOL,.. yeh it's a ghost phantom without those infamous quotes.

Man i really loved Cagney as a fast talkin' ole school movie gangsta ... (See "Public Enemy " as well ).... :D

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Of AFI's Top 100, there are only 9 I haven't seen before, or at least not all the way thru.

Citizen Kane
The Third Man
Schindler's List
An American In Paris
The Gold Rush
It Happened One Night
The Best Years Of Our Lives
A Place In The Sun
The Birth Of A Nation

I've never seen Terms of Endearment, The English Patient, Titanic or any Harry Potter movie either

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
LOL,.. yeh it's a ghost phantom without those infamous quotes.

Man i really loved Cagney as a fast talkin' ole school movie gangsta ... (See "Public Enemy " as well ).... :D
I loved Cagney too, "Angels With Dirty Faces" is another great gangster film of his.

quickccc

Reaction score
Flash Gordon and Schindler's List are as opposite a comparison as can be made, both of which I enjoyed immensely. There are certain movies I either care for little or not at all but I have loved movies in practically all film genres.

There is one hangup I do have for a handful of movies. It is the few that have cut me so deeply I have seen them only once or perhaps twice.

The vast number of dark dramas or comedies have never come across as revolting to me as Se7en. Excellent movie but HOW WELL each specific sin was shown on screen truly chilled me to the bone like almost no other. I promised myself I would never watch it again in its entirety after the first time I saw it. That self-promise remains unbroken to this day.

The Passion Of The Christ crushed my soul. I felt so drained that it took me about two minutes to get up out of my seat and exit the theater. The next time I watched it from my living room sofa. I have no shame admitting I went straight to bed and cried my grown <expletive> man to sleep. That was the second and final time I would put myself through that experience.

Movies are entertaining but they impact people in different ways. For me, the one kicker has always been what exactly does anyone perceive AS entertainment?

yes, ..Schindler's List... The Passion Of The Christ.. Hotel Rwanda..... Rosewood ....The Hate U give ...The Hurricane ....Alive .... .... etc. .and particular these because they are based off true story events and they come at you so up front close to you, so they take to some the hardest emotion and empathy is us.