NBA Draft

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Im really hoping Tatum is the pick for us. There is too much redundancy with Jackson and Brown and Tatum compliments him perfectly. Id also much rather buy Tatums cieling as a 3 level scoring forward then Jacksons floor as a 2 way slasher defender with a questionable shot.

Im also not so sold he has more upside then Brown as he is a year older then Brown when he was drafted

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Mavs turned down Russell for the 9th straight up.
Lakers were likely looking to flip 9 for George.
Why would Lakers do that?

Because Russell had to go, period. As I've stated for a month now. He's an inefficient scoring 2 who is not very strong and not very good yet. Could grow into what you want but it will take time and lots more shots.
Magic has identified Ingram and the #2 pick, Lonzo probably, as the young foundational pieces and he will add vets around that so he has an actual NBA team.
He's not gonna watch 20 win basketball for 3 more years.

And because a lot can change in a year. A free agent desire now might change a lot if PG gets traded to CLE to be the wing for LeBron and Kyrie. If you are the Lakers and can add PG for a reasonable price you darn sure better do it.
Cap space means nothing if you get left holding it.

If PG is set to go to the Lakers it's because he's been told they will win. He's not signing if they win another 20 games.

LeBron... he just sold his LA home. He may be mad enough to leave CLE but he's not going to play second fiddle to the Warriors in the same state.
If LeBron wants to get back at KD, well he can always find a way to team up with Russ. He's definitely not going to a team with Lonzo Ball and Ingram as starters. He traded Wiggins away as the hottest prospect of the decade. LeBron is too old for this kiddie crap.

Magic makes the Lakers interesting again but I've heard the Lakers were getting every top free agent for 5 years now and they've landed nothing which means someone is lying or making up these rumors out of thin air and wishful thinking. Lakers will have 60m... lord. The Lakers have to field a team this year first, without signing anyone else, then give up rights to all their own free agents for that to happen. They will have ample cap space but likely not over 50m and in reality they'd probably like to acquire a few more legit pieces to lure a big fish before free agency 2018.

Mavs said to favor Dennis Smith Jr. with Frank as the most likely guy. Prolly take the one the Knicks don't. I can only hope the Knicks are serious about trading Porz and want to draft Lauri.That's a Mavs dream scenario.

WTH are the Knicks doing? Did Phil get the wrong kind of drugs? This is crazy. They have one player anyone wants(and the only guy Knicks fan can cheer), Porz, and they are gonna trade him?

They should be doing everything they can to get Carmelo to CLE and let someone else eat his contract. A 3 way trade likely needed but they could probably get a cheaper. much younger guy like the Mavs Dwight Powell in that type of deal.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I think with Super max's you will see true elite players leaving less and less. That's alot of money you're leaving on the table to jump ship.
i don't doubt they will change things in time. the question is will that change then lock in the nba finals for the next 5 years.
nba needs to approach this as:
1. remedy further imbalance of the league by creating a hard cap above the normal salary cap. a can not exceed at any costs cap, lest your top contracts become void until salary cap is achieved. see nfl.
2. add parity --possibly do away with traditional round 2 of the NBA draft and make it a supplemental round 2. Award picks based on players lost/gain matrix like the NFL. --yes with those picks being trade eligible immediately.
3. make more games watchable and meaningful. better teams and promoting rivalries even when teams aren't great.
4. continue to provide this trade/off-season excitement by making trades easier to accomplish not harder.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Im really hoping Tatum is the pick for us. There is too much redundancy with Jackson and Brown and Tatum compliments him perfectly. Id also much rather buy Tatums cieling as a 3 level scoring forward then Jacksons floor as a 2 way slasher defender with a questionable shot.

Im also not so sold he has more upside then Brown as he is a year older then Brown when he was drafted
idk what Ainge is trying to do but he's been friggin aces so you just gotta trust him if you are a boston fan imho.
my guess is he's playing the odds that the nba draft picks are 5-6 years down the road guys and he's just willing to shoot for a better top overall guy like fultz that is less duplicative of what they have.
i wouldn't be shocked if boston traded down again.
they are pretty darn salty right now and i'm not sure either jackson or tatum move the needle for them this year or next couple.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
idk what Ainge is trying to do but he's been friggin aces so you just gotta trust him if you are a boston fan imho.
my guess is he's playing the odds that the nba draft picks are 5-6 years down the road guys and he's just willing to shoot for a better top overall guy like fultz that is less duplicative of what they have.
i wouldn't be shocked if boston traded down again.
they are pretty darn salty right now and i'm not sure either jackson or tatum move the needle for them this year or next couple.
Been talk of them swapping 3 for 5 and 10. If they like Tatum/Jackson and Kings want Fox, then they will get one at 5.

As far as moving the needle down the line, I dont think Jackson would. Good player, but I dont think he has great offensive potential. I think his upsides Gerald Wallace IMO. Tatum wont be nearly the defender but I think he has the upside to develop into a 20 point game score capable of playing the 3 and 4. Jackson can play 4 but he will never stretch. Jackson should be a better rebounder.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Been talk of them swapping 3 for 5 and 10. If they like Tatum/Jackson and Kings want Fox, then they will get one at 5.

As far as moving the needle down the line, I dont think Jackson would. Good player, but I dont think he has great offensive potential. I think his upsides Gerald Wallace IMO. Tatum wont be nearly the defender but I think he has the upside to develop into a 20 point game score capable of playing the 3 and 4. Jackson can play 4 but he will never stretch. Jackson should be a better rebounder.
That's interesting but I think there's the potential to grab a legit playoff starter for Boston with that 3rd pick.
DeAndre Jordan? Anyone in Philly? Any star who quietly wants a better team but isn't blurting it to the news yet?
I mean IF CLE is going to implode then BOS becomes the de facto kings of the East right?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That's interesting but I think there's the potential to grab a legit playoff starter for Boston with that 3rd pick.
DeAndre Jordan? Anyone in Philly? Any star who quietly wants a better team but isn't blurting it to the news yet?
I mean IF CLE is going to implode then BOS becomes the de facto kings of the East right?
I think they are planning on making a run at Hayward. They have space for a max. I dont know if there is a player out there now they want to pursue. Apparently they already turned down Chicago's offer of Butler for #3 straight up. I think if they are moving assets, they want a more long term return. Porzingis could be a guy they make a run at, but apparently they would have to take Noah's contract as well. That would take Hayward off the table. Unless they can negotiate they Knicks to take Noah out (dont know why they would, but I dont know why they are dangling Porzingis either), I dont know if there is a move out there Ainge wants to make.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
WTH are the Knicks doing? Did Phil get the wrong kind of drugs? This is crazy. They have one player anyone wants(and the only guy Knicks fan can cheer), Porz, and they are gonna trade him?

They should be doing everything they can to get Carmelo to CLE and let someone else eat his contract. A 3 way trade likely needed but they could probably get a cheaper. much younger guy like the Mavs Dwight Powell in that type of deal.

Fwiw, I don't believe for a second that we are actually looking to deal him, really just saying that he isn't untouchable

Last edited:

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
A free agent desire now might change a lot if PG gets traded to CLE to be the wing for LeBron and Kyrie. If you are the Lakers and can add PG for a reasonable price you darn sure better do it.
Cap space means nothing if you get left holding it.

Won't matter. Cleve is still 2nd fiddle to GS next year with or without PG. So I don't see why he'd want to resign there when even Lebron is talking about possibly leaving (for Clipps or Lakers). Lakers don't need to make a trade for PG. Why would he want to come to a team that is gutted, he'd most likely won't resign if that's the case.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score

Read that Lakers offered Kings #2 for 5 & 10, were turned down. So Boston would have to offer more than just the #3.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Won't matter. Cleve is still 2nd fiddle to GS next year with or without PG. So I don't see why he'd want to resign there when even Lebron is talking about possibly leaving (for Clipps or Lakers). Lakers don't need to make a trade for PG. Why would he want to come to a team that is gutted, he'd most likely won't resign if that's the case.
If PG goes to CLE it's to win with LeBron/Kyrie and whatever else LeBron can put together.
That team is an easy favorite in the East pending Boston making any massive move.

LAL IS trying to trade of PG NOW (offering 27, 28 and one of Julius Randle or Jordan Clarkson) because they feel he may well end up in CLE and aren't certain they'd lure him then.
When pay checks are the same guys mostly want to win.. which is what brings then more money.

LeBron is mad that CLE fired the GM. So Magic knows he should strike while LeBron is mad and before LeBron starts recruiting to CLE.
Playing with LeBron has been an express pass to the NBA Finals and for guys who've never made it that is the goal.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
If PG goes to CLE it's to win with LeBron/Kyrie and whatever else LeBron can put together.
That team is an easy favorite in the East pending Boston making any massive move.

LAL IS trying to trade of PG NOW (offering 27, 28 and one of Julius Randle or Jordan Clarkson) because they feel he may well end up in CLE and aren't certain they'd lure him then.
When pay checks are the same guys mostly want to win.. which is what brings then more money.

LeBron is mad that CLE fired the GM. So Magic knows he should strike while LeBron is mad and before LeBron starts recruiting to CLE.
Playing with LeBron has been an express pass to the NBA Finals and for guys who've never made it that is the goal.

Indy doesn't want Lakers offer.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Read that Lakers offered Kings #2 for 5 & 10, were turned down. So Boston would have to offer more than just the #3.
not necessarily.....Boston is in the East, LA is not only in the West, but also in the same division and a huge festering boil on Sacramento's rump. So I can see them forcing more from the Lakers than other teams perhaps.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
not necessarily.....Boston is in the East, LA is not only in the West, but also in the same division and a huge festering boil on Sacramento's rump. So I can see them forcing more from the Lakers than other teams perhaps.

Ya right. Bad teams like Kings or Lakers want high draft picks.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Ya right. Bad teams like Kings or Lakers want high draft picks.
yes they do, but my point is, they would more than likely ask for more from a divisional rival than they would from a team in the opposite conference

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Alot of reports tbat Ainge covets Dennis Johnson and is considering moving down again to draft him and pick up more picks

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Indy doesn't want Lakers offer.
at some point indy has to the take best offer right?
maybe at trade deadline but i'm not sure a sulking PG13 adds value this year at all.
LAL seems very motivated to act while LeBron is moody andhave made a handful of different offers if reports can be believed.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Nope, picks are what matters.
all those teams would prefer young proven stars of course.
failing that picks have more value than older vets.
but not every team wants to follow philly into the 10 year down cycle hoping to hit home runs in the draft.

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
Any chance Phil is just "shakin' the tree" to see what falls out? Or is diabolical enough to float the rumor to see who teams are will to trade? ...... knowing that if (when) their name gets leaked they might get PO'd and want to leave in free agency or get traded to, oh, to some place like NY...... nah, that's too crazy.