NBA Season 23-24

JonesBoys

Reaction score
Would have loved to win it all with Smart, but his offense is just to erratic. Jru is a much better overall player
For all the great plays on defense he would make he would give it up on the offensive end by taking a terrible 3 point attempt early in the shot clock while being contested. He thought he was better offensively then he was and it hurt the team at times. If he understood what his role was he would have been better. He would drive me nuts a lot. Smart always played hard though and that's why he is loved in Boston.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
For all the great plays on defense he would make he would give it up on the offensive end by taking a terrible 3 point attempt early in the shot clock while being contested. He thought he was better offensively then he was and it hurt the team at times. If he understood what his role was he would have been better. He would drive me nuts a lot. Smart always played hard though and that's why he is loved in Boston.
It wouldn't shock one bit if he finds his was back in Boston when Jrue's contract is up

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
10 wins in a row for Boston and 15-2 so far in the playoffs. One more win to go up 18-17 on the Lakers

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I dont think I have seen a worse 1st half of Boston basketball since we blew up the Big 3

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
An interesting note these Finals: Brown, Tatum and Doncic were taken 3rd overall in consecutive drafts. Of the players picked before them, none are on their original team and only Ben Simmons has been an All Star

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
:flagwave::flagwave::flagwave:

17 years to the day they put up #17. After getting to the ECF 5 of the last 7 and losing in the 2022 finals, this one feels much more sweet than the only other chip I got to enjoy in 2008

Im happy Brown got the MVP. His two way game has been under appreciated.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
More likely Dallas TBH.
He is a home town kid and a great fit.
Hew could end up here via trade before the contract runs out.
Wont be for a couple years. Memphis gave up alot for him and arent letting him go now. They are going to try and make a run next year

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Probably need an offseason thread, but OKC just traded Josh Giddey to Chicago for Alex Caruso

Good deal imo...really good deal
Great deal for both teams. Caruso is just the type of player. Caruso is a lock down defender and a 38% 3p shooter for his career. Him, and Dort with Holmgren inside will be suffocating

Giddy is a better player than he was last year, but he cant defend and needs the ball in his hands. He wasnt a good fit for OKC. If the Bulls move Lavine and go younger, he could have a big season

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Wont be for a couple years. Memphis gave up alot for him and arent letting him go now. They are going to try and make a run next year
I have been trying to get him home since he was drafted so nothing changes there.

He would be a good fit next to Luka.

MEM is a bad week away from rebuilding. That team is a mix of veteran win now players and young assets that need time to develop.
They tried to move for pieces to stay afloat while Ja was suspended but that backfired tremendously.
With Ja and Bane, not sure Smart is a great fit anyway.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Probably need an offseason thread, but OKC just traded Josh Giddey to Chicago for Alex Caruso

Good deal imo...really good deal
Chicago really should have gotten a pick if only because OKC has more picks than they can roster.
Giddey was unplayable in the playoffs and is a really poor shooter for a "creator".
His best days are definitely ahead of him but possibly 3-5 years ahead.

Caruso is a great win now piece for OKC though it is interesting as they had great guard defense already.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Chicago really should have gotten a pick if only because OKC has more picks than they can roster.
Giddey was unplayable in the playoffs and is a really poor shooter for a "creator".

Caruso is a great win now piece for OKC though it is interesting as they had great guard defense already.
Caruso can defend the wing at a high level too. Right now they are practically smothering on every level of that defense. Jalen Williams isnt a particularly strong defender, but they should be ok with that.

They still have some moves they need to make. They need to get tougher on the glass and they could probably use some vet bench scoring. Outside of picks they also have a couple moderately attractive young players that arent getting playing time

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Could be the age difference. Chicago maybe be buying into Giddey's upside and may have valued him accordingly. They may be resetting with a younger roster. Giddey could have been a guy they really targeted.

Caruso lines up perfectly with the OKC timeline in a way. Being 30 and having a chip in his resume, he is the type of player you want on a young win now team. Old enough to mentor, young enough to play with them for 5 or 6 runs

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score

Teams will over pay for potential and I honestly think that's what happened here. Chicago who let's be honest, is not in a win now mode, dealt an all defensive guard for someone who they hope will one day be an all star

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Caruso can defend the wing at a high level too. Right now they are practically smothering on every level of that defense. Jalen Williams isnt a particularly strong defender, but they should be ok with that.

They still have some moves they need to make. They need to get tougher on the glass and they could probably use some vet bench scoring. Outside of picks they also have a couple moderately attractive young players that arent getting playing time
Yup. Issue is with a 6'5 startying PF and an offensive 4 type at the 5 it is tough to defend the paint and rebound.
I really thought that would be the first move they made.
This move actually makes them a little smaller as Caruso is 3 inches shorter than Giddey.
BUT Giddey was benched during the Mavs series and it can be hard to repair that type of relationship.
Of all teams in the NBA you'd love to be OKC the next 5-7 years with those players and trade assets.
The challenge for Presti is always the running of the operation once you have achieved success and stockpiled assets.
How do you handle success and paying everyone and keeping all these guys happy?
But it is a problem every other team would gladly take.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Teams will over pay for potential and I honestly think that's what happened here. Chicago who let's be honest, is not in a win now mode, dealt an all defensive guard for someone who they hope will one day be an all star
No doubt. I am just surprised given how early in off-season it is they moved so fast.
With what White and Jrue have done in Boston I really think Caruso's value couldn't be ever be any higher than this summer.
He is due a 4/80 in 6 months but that's really a good thing for most teams.
I very much could have seen Dallas trade THJ and the 2025 R1 for Caruso.
Not sure thats a better deal FWIW but Dallas is just 1 of 32 teams.

Both Giddey and Caruso are due new deals but Giddey will likely cost you much more because he is a young 6'8" starting wing who scores it a lot more.
And if I am rebuilding like CHI I would want picks over players.
This move is like if they think Giddey becomes Lonzo Ball for them day 1 and they win now.....