Neighborhood watch captain kills black teen - doesn't get arrested

Cythim

Benched
Reaction score
Eric_Boyer;4472253 said:
where do police get the power to pursue?

in a free and just society, you can't transfer rights to others that you do not possess yourself. It is this concept that preserves things like citizens arrest as well.

It's sad that we are losing sight of the logic behind our laws

Police have the power to pursue someone who has broken the law, they can't just stop you because you "look suspicious." You can pursue as well under the same circumstance but it is advised that you do not because you lack the training and equipment that the police have to deal with the situation properly. Treyvon did nothing to warrant a pursuit or confrontation by a cop or a wanna-be cop.

It's sad that you are refusing logic in an attempt to be right. Zimmerman did not have a right to chase down a kid who committed no crime and kill him after losing a fight. If it had been a cop who did it the outcry would be the same, or worse since we expect better from those who are supposed to serve and protect.

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
Cythim;4472284 said:
Police have the power to pursue someone who has broken the law

they can pursue anybody they find suspicious. They do not need to be certain a law was broken to tail a suspect. where do you get these silly notions?

Cythim

Benched
Reaction score
Eric_Boyer;4472296 said:
they can pursue anybody they find suspicious. They do not need to be certain a law was broken to tail a suspect. where do you get these silly notions?

Pursuit is not following, it is actively chasing. How do you keep confusing the two?

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
Cythim;4472336 said:
Pursuit is not following, it is actively chasing. How do you keep confusing the two?

please link to a legal definition that contrasts the two terms (ideally from a Florida, but I'm going to be super nice and allow any state's definition to apply)

Afigueroa22

Reaction score
Cythim;4472284 said:
they can't just stop you because you "look suspicious." .

Come to California and be brown for a week, you will see. It's not about the color of the cop either. Black cops and Hispanic cops pull the same crap as the White cops.

Cythim

Benched
Reaction score
Eric_Boyer;4472347 said:
please link to a legal definition that contrasts the two terms (ideally from a Florida, but I'm going to be super nice and allow any state's definition to apply)

You do not need a legal definition to know that following and pursuing are two different actions.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
Stalking is a term commonly used to refer to unwanted and obsessive attention by an individual or group to another person. Stalking behaviors are related to harassment and intimidation and may include following the victim in person and/or monitoring them. The word stalking is used, with some differing meanings, in psychology and psychiatry and also in some legal jurisdictions as a term for a criminal offense.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Haven't kept up with this case, .. but I have bounced through this thread.

What are the disagreements about? What are people saying ... that :

1) the security guy knew this kid and sought him out and killed him?

2) the security guy jumped to conclusions because the kid was a young black male?

3) the kid threatened the security guy because of a lack of respect for authority?

What does it look like happened?

Cythim

Benched
Reaction score
Eric_Boyer;4472423 said:
unless you have a legal definition to back your opinion up, you don't have a clue what you are talking about.

http://thesaurus.com/browse/pursuit?s=ts

Who needs a legal definition? I am talking in plain English. Do you follow happiness or do you pursue it? Do you follow a higher education or do you pursue it? Do you pursue the leader or follow the leader? Do you play Trivial Pursuit or Trivial Follow? Do you follow a relationship or pursue a relationship?

pur·sue   
verb (used with object)
1. to follow in order to overtake, capture, kill, etc.; chase.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pursue

fol·low
verb (used with object)
2. to go or come after; move behind in the same direction
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/follow

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
WV Cowboy;4472458 said:

2) the security guy jumped to conclusions because the kid was a young black male?

3) the kid threatened the security guy because of a lack of respect for authority?

I mostly pointed out that everything we are reading about is coming from the family of the deceased so it is biased.

Apparently, if you are unwilling to have a flaming pitchfork in hand, you are a troll.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
WV Cowboy;4472458 said:

First, the security guy wasn't even a security guy. He was a self-proclaimed neighborhood watch captain, that has called 911 46 times since January 2012.

On the night in question, he saw 17 year old Trayvon walking home, called 911 and reported a "suspicious person" in the area. Trayvon, who was in the area visiting his dad, was returning home from the store where he purchased skittles and a can of iced tea. Zimmerman continued to follow Trayvon as he spoke with 911, who told him not to do that and they would send someone by.

Trayvon notices Zimmerman following him and starts running away. Zimmerman gets out of his car and follows Trayvon. Zimmerman then catches up with Trayvon, corners him, and starts interrogating him about what he is doing there.

An altercation breaks out between the two. Neighbors call 911 to report an altercation where a boy can be heard screaming "Help." A gunshot goes off and Trayvon is dead. The police arrive on the scene, and Zimmerman says he acted in self defense and is not arrested.

Zimmerman had a gun. Trayvon had a pack of skittles.

Cythim

Benched
Reaction score
Eric_Boyer;4472479 said:
people arguing about the law :bang2:

Follow and pursue are not legal terms, they are simple English. Pursuit implies catching to detain, and the police cannot do so without probable cause.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
WV Cowboy;4472458 said:

Better yet, just watch the video:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540...05736#46806299

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
Cythim;4472496 said:
Follow and pursue are not legal terms, they are simple English. Pursuit implies catching to detain, and the police cannot do so without probable cause.

If you want to talk about rights, you are talking about laws, and you better have an understanding of legal terms.

You have now introduced an actual legal term – detain. If there is any proof that Zimmerman detained the deceased, Zimmerman is screwed. Do you have such proof?

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Eric_Boyer;4472471 said:
I mostly pointed out that everything we are reading about is coming from the family of the deceased so it is biased.

Apparently, if you are unwilling to have a flaming pitchfork in hand, you are a troll.

So you are thinking that maybe the security guy was justified?

JonJon;4472489 said:
First, the security guy wasn't even a security guy. He was a self-proclaimed neighborhood watch captain, that has called 911 46 times since January 2012.

On the night in question, he saw 17 year old Trayvon walking home, called 911 and reported a "suspicious person" in the area. Trayvon, who was in the area visiting his dad, was returning home from the store where he purchased skittles and a can of iced tea. Zimmerman continued to follow Trayvon as he spoke with 911, who told him not to do that and they would send someone by.

Trayvon notices Zimmerman following him and starts running away. Zimmerman gets out of his car and follows Trayvon. Zimmerman then catches up with Trayvon, corners him, and starts interrogating him about what he is doing there.

An altercation breaks out between the two. Neighbors call 911 to report an altercation where a boy can be heard screaming "Help." A gunshot goes off and Trayvon is dead. The police arrive on the scene, and Zimmerman says he acted in self defense and is not arrested.

Zimmerman had a gun. Trayvon had a pack of skittles.

And you are thinking that the security guy over-reacted because ... for whatever reason, ... maybe the kid was black?

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
WV Cowboy;4472511 said:

And you are thinking that the security guy over-reacted because ... for whatever reason, ... maybe the kid was black?

No, but there are those who do. I've already said in this thread that for me, race is not the factor. The factor is that a man kills an innocent kid and no arrest is made. The blatant disregard of proper protocol by the police department is what bothers me. I think that he (Zimmerman) was overly paranoid and suffers from some mental condition.

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
WV Cowboy;4472511 said:

I’m thinking that without any eye witness that saw how the physical violence unfolded, it is difficult to find the person guilty of murder.

The police were sloppy, no question. But I’m still not sure they could of pressed such serious charges even if they were more with it.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
JonJon;4472522 said:
No, but there are those who do. I've already said in this thread that for me, race is not the factor. The factor is that a man kills an innocent kid and no arrest is made. The blatant disregard of proper protocol by the police department is what bothers me. I think that he (Zimmerman) was overly paranoid and suffers from some mental condition.

Eric_Boyer;4472525 said:
I’m thinking that without any eye witness that saw how the physical violence unfolded, it is difficult to find the person guilty of murder.

The police were sloppy, no question. But I’m still not sure they could of pressed such serious charges even if they were more with it.

OK, thanks for both of your responses.

Can't imagine what the boys parents are going through, .. everybody kiss your kids tonight.

Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.