Neighborhood watch captain kills black teen - doesn't get arrested

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Eric_Boyer;4476128 said:
Starting a fight with a person simply because they have a weapon holstered is about the most idiotic thing you can do. I do not believe that is what Trayvon did though.

That is precisely what I did when I felt someone was following me. As it turns out, they were following me, because I dropped something several blocks back. Imagine if I decided to act out of the fear that was gripping me.

I would think that the reason who be calling out to you "Like Hey you dropped your wallet" instead of remaining silent and keep following you.

It's one thing to see a person with a weapon holstered and you are minding your own business and they are minding theirs.

But if someone with a gun chasing you if you try to run, then some will wonder if that person is trying to rob them at gun point. If someone chases a person down and corners them that's different from just seeing someone who is legally allowed to carry a gun in public.

Whether or not the person actually intends to do something wrong to the person they are following, it's going to put the person in fight or flight mode. If I see someone following me with a knife and I try to avoid them and they turn and follow by every step then I'm going to wonder if this person plans to use the knife on me.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Eric_Boyer;4476080 said:
obviously I can't make you answer. I have made no strange claims in this thread.

If I saw you commit a felony though, I can detain you, at-least in most states.

what you've said is that you can follow, and by "citizens arrest" you said you can ask why someone walking down the street.

what if i don't answer? what is your "right" then?

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Eric_Boyer;4476128 said:
That is precisely what I did when I felt someone was following me. As it turns out, they were following me, because I dropped something several blocks back. Imagine if I decided to act out of the fear that was gripping me.

You dropped your wallet several blocks back, someone picked it up and tailed you for how long exactly? Did they say anything? Did they hold your wallet up?

If someone found your wallet, put it in their pocket and just quietly followed you for 5 blocks waiting for you to confront them before giving it back, I'd say you had every right to be gripped by fear.

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
iceberg;4476192 said:
what you've said is that you can follow, and by "citizens arrest" you said you can ask why someone walking down the street.

what if i don't answer? what is your "right" then?

I can ask again, I can follow some more.

I can only detain you if I witnessed you commit a felony, which clearly does not apply in this case.

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
TheCount;4476194 said:
You dropped your wallet several blocks back, someone picked it up and tailed you for how long exactly? Did they say anything? Did they hold your wallet up?

If someone found your wallet, put it in their pocket and just quietly followed you for 5 blocks waiting for you to confront them before giving it back, I'd say you had every right to be gripped by fear.

it wasn't a wallet, it was a notebook.

It probably only lasted 5 minutes tops.

how long did this Florida thing last?

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Eric_Boyer;4476220 said:
it wasn't a wallet, it was a notebook.

It probably only lasted 5 minutes tops.

how long did this Florida thing last?

They followed you for five minutes without saying anything or giving you a sign that you had dropped something?

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
Basically, unqualified people are in positions with guns and stuff. No one trained this moron with a gun. And yet the debate goes on about who is right or wrong. The hood watch idiot was wrong, but the system wronged the victim the most.

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
TheCount;4476231 said:
They followed you for five minutes without saying anything or giving you a sign that you had dropped something?

do you have a point?

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Eric_Boyer;4476201 said:
I can ask again, I can follow some more.

I can only detain you if I witnessed you commit a felony, which clearly does not apply in this case.

fair enough.

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
TheCount;4476244 said:
I'm just asking a few basic investigative questions, something the police should have tried.

the thing that bothers me is people that have made up their mind have so few facts.

what if this incident took place 30 feet from Zimmerman truck. Does this change anything for you?

everybody is assuming the worst about the police, and I don't think that is totally fair either.

JBond

Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4476234 said:
Basically, unqualified people are in positions with guns and stuff. No one trained this moron with a gun. And yet the debate goes on about who is right or wrong. The hood watch idiot was wrong, but the system wronged the victim the most.

The system? Which system? Are you referring to the Second Amendment? I am a bit puzzled by your post.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Eric_Boyer;4476250 said:
the thing that bothers me is people that have made up their mind have so few facts.

what if this incident took place 30 feet from Zimmerman truck. Does this change anything for you?

everybody is assuming the worst about the police, and I don't think that is totally fair either.

Why would 30 feet make any difference? This isn't court. An arrest is too much to ask for when an unarmed person is killed? The only thing I'm assuming about he police is that they didn't do what they should have done given the situation.

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
TheCount;4476284 said:
Why would 30 feet make any difference? This isn't court. An arrest is too much to ask for when an unarmed person is killed? The only thing I'm assuming about he police is that they didn't do what they should have done given the situation.

30 feet could give further credence to Zimmerman’s claim that he was heading back to his truck when the teen attacked him.

I don’t really care about a formal arrest, the problem I have is the apparent lack of trying to gain a full picture of the story. That they had the boys phone, and didn’t even bother to see who he called is ridiculous. Did they even look to see if he had his video-camera running at the time?

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
This is a little more an elaborate testimony then I have heard previously:

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/new...led-in-neighborhood-altercation#ixzz1phFMGCu4

"The guy on the bottom, who had a red sweater on, was yelling to me, 'Help! Help!' and I told him to stop, and I was calling 911," said the witness, who asked to be identified only by his first name, John.

John said he locked his patio door, ran upstairs and heard at least one gun shot.

"And then, when I got upstairs and looked down, the guy who was on the top beating up the other guy, was the one laying in the grass, and I believe he was dead at that point."

Read more: http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/new...led-in-neighborhood-altercation#ixzz1py79XfPk

JBond

Reaction score
Eric_Boyer;4476361 said:

So there is more to the story. Hmm...

1. The witness reports that George Zimmerman was on the ground and Trayvon is on top of him punching him.
  2. The witness says that George Zimmerman was screaming and yelling for help.
  3. Police arrive and find Zimmerman bleeding on his face and the back of his head. He also has had grass stains on his back. All this confirms the story told by Zimmerman and the witness.
  4. Police play the 911 tape for Trayvon Martin's father, who tells police that the voice screaming is not the voice of his son.
The neighborhood this took place in has seen a lot of crime. Would you be surprised to learn that there were eight burglaries, nine thefts, and a shooting just in the past year? In fact, the local homeowners' association reports that George Zimmerman actually caught one thief and aided in the apprehension of other criminals. The Miami Herald wrote about this on March 17th. None of the thousands of articles and cable news segments that came after, thought this was important.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
from what i understand, the neighborhood is exclusive and "private property".

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
iceberg;4476402 said:
just gotta be patient and let the facts come through.

I agree. too bad the mediots ran with one side of the story and now Zimmerman is in hiding for his life.