Neighborhood watch captain kills black teen - doesn't get arrested

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
iceberg;4476414 said:
from what i understand, the neighborhood is exclusive and "private property".

the truth is it is a somewhat lower class neighborhood. The gates community meme was designed to lead us in a particular way, just as calling Zimmerman white was meant to do.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
iceberg;4476414 said:
from what i understand, the neighborhood is exclusive and "private property".
I believe it's a gated property that requires you to pass through security in order to be in the area.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Eric_Boyer;4476415 said:
I agree. too bad the mediots ran with one side of the story and now Zimmerman is in hiding for his life.
Is it really the media's fault? Or is it the authorities fault for not following property protocol? Or is it Zimmerman's fault for taking the life of a kid?

That's what it comes down to me, because I knew about the story before it became a media firestorm.

One of the reasons I haven't actively participated in this thread is because I'm waiting for the authorities to make a finding of facts. And whether they choose to arrest Zimmerman, it is clear to me, his actions were inappropriate.

I saw a drunk driver on the freeway, called the police non-emergency number. I told them which direction the car was going and told them my exit was coming up. I asked them if I should continue to follow (from a long distance away), and they told me that wouldn't be necessary. I exited and went home. For me, my civic duty was done. That is what I believe Zimmerman should've done.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Regardless it isn't nor can it be tried as a hate crime. I see murder in the 2nd degree coming at this guy like a freight train.

Glad to see some level headedness in this thread now.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Eric_Boyer;4476361 said:

We still don't know if Trayvon was acting out trying to Defend himself or if he feared for his well being. Nothing excuses the SPD from not doing a proper investigation. That means collecting all evidence and witness accounts of all sides and turning it in to the state to go through the court system.

Witnesses have also said that they thought it was thesound of a child yelling out for help. Now there is a witness who saw the what happened from start to finish?

Whatever the case Zimmerman should have still been arrested and try himself in court and if the witness saw him getting beaten then the defense could use that witness. But I thought that it was said that no one actually saw the fight or what went down? So what is the truth?

Noryb

Reaction score

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;4476434 said:
Is it really the media's fault? Or is it the authorities fault for not following property protocol? Or is it Zimmerman's fault for taking the life of a kid?

The media has a huge amount of blame IMO.

That's what it comes down to me, because I knew about the story before it became a media firestorm.

I am sort of conflicted for that reason. The media should be impartial, but there is no doubt their sensationalism helps get this to a grand jury, which I think is a good thing.

One of the reasons I haven't actively participated in this thread is because I'm waiting for the authorities to make a finding of facts. And whether they choose to arrest Zimmerman, it is clear to me, his actions were inappropriate.

I am still not sure of that, but I can see why you do based on the next paragraph.

I saw a drunk driver on the freeway, called the police non-emergency number. I told them which direction the car was going and told them my exit was coming up. I asked them if I should continue to follow (from a long distance away), and they told me that wouldn't be necessary. I exited and went home. For me, my civic duty was done. That is what I believe Zimmerman should've done.

If that is all you want to do, I don’t fault you, but I have a different view of what role I should play in keeping my community safe. I don’t agree with the notion that we leave the dangerous stuff to the police.

JBond

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;4476434 said:

Or maybe your version of civic duty may be different than others.

It's not Zimmerman's fault the 6'2" football player was kicked out of school and and was wandering around a neighborhood that had a recent crime wave.

When he was asked who he was, Trayvon jumped Zimmerman. So people are no longer allowed to defend themselves? Nonsense. So Zimmerman should have just let the guy beat him? Is that what you would do? Allow someone to beat the hell out of you? That does not make any sense. Not saying this is what happened for sure, but it seems very plausible.

Anyway it will be interesting to see how this turns out.

JBond

Reaction score

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
JBond;4476459 said:

It's not Zimmerman's fault the 6'2" football player was kicked out of school and and was wandering around a neighborhood that had a recent crime wave.

When he was asked who he was, Trayvon jumped Zimmerman. So people are no longer allowed to defend themselves? Nonsense. So Zimmerman should have just let the guy beat him? Is that what you would do? Allow someone to beat the hell out of you? That does not make any sense. Not saying this is what happened for sure, but it seems very plausible.

If we are going to bring up Trayvon's problems. Zimmerman assaulted a Police Officer and got accused for Domestic Violence.

People are no longer allowed to Defend themselves? It's not considered that if Trayvon did beat GZ that he was in fear of his well being of this man stalking and following him?

How do you know that it wasn't out of aggression but fear?

JBond

Reaction score
Romo_To_Dez;4476465 said:
If we are going to bring up Trayvon's problems. Zimmerman assaulted a Police Officer and got accused for Domestic Violence.

People are no longer allowed to Defend themselves? It's not considered that if Trayvon did beat GZ that he was in fear of his well being of this man stalking and following him?

How do you know that it wasn't out of aggression but fear?

I don't. That is the entire point! Well done! You figured it out. Now it's your turn to admit you have no idea what happened.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
JBond;4476459 said:

He chased the kid down. It's not like he pulled up next to him and calmly asked him what he was up to.

He got out of his vehicle, told police the kid was running and followed him.

If anyone is going to claim that Zimmerman acted in self-defense, they have to acknowledge the kid was doing the same when being pursued by some random person.

What Zimmerman should have done was never even go after him. There would have been no beating and nobody dies.

Getting your *** whipped after presenting yourself as a threat by chasing the kid is no excuse to shoot someone.

Also, him being kicked out of school is irrelevant.

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
Romo_To_Dez;4476465 said:

This is well known,

I chose to not bring up the teens issues because character assassination of a dead kid seems pretty gross to me. I hope that is also why the media failed to report it.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
JBond;4476467 said:
I don't. That is the entire point! Well done! You figured it out. Now it's your turn to admit you have no idea what happened.

I don't know for 100% sure. What I think Trayvon would still be alive if Zimmerman waited and let the cops do their job.

I think that it's Trayvon's voice screaming for help on the tape and it they can break it down and prove that it's his and not Zimmerman's that all cases for Self Defense go out of the window because how can you claim self defense against someone clearly screaming out in terror for their life?

What we do know the screams for help stopped the very second the gun went off

JBond

Reaction score
Hoofbite;4476470 said:
He chased the kid down. It's not like he pulled up next to him and calmly asked him what he was up to.

He got out of his vehicle, told police the kid was running and followed him.

If anyone is going to claim that Zimmerman acted in self-defense, they have to acknowledge the kid was doing the same when being pursued by some random person.

What Zimmerman should have done was never even go after him. There would have been no beating and nobody dies.

Getting your *** whipped after presenting yourself as a threat by chasing the kid is no excuse to shoot someone.

You must be the only one on this board that already has all the facts. You should get your version of the story published somewhere.

I will wait for the real facts.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
JBond;4476475 said:
You must be the only one on this board that already has all the facts. You should get your version of the story published somewhere.

I will wait for the real facts.

So you won't post until then?

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
As far as getting beat down can anyone start a fight or provoke a confrontation and then shoot if they are losing a fight? Can someone who wants to pick a bone with somebody else start a fist fight and shoot if they are losing the fist fight?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Eric_Boyer;4476451 said:
The media has a huge amount of blame IMO.

I am sort of conflicted for that reason. The media should be impartial, but there is no doubt their sensationalism helps get this to a grand jury, which I think is a good thing.

I am still not sure of that, but I can see why you do based on the next paragraph.

If that is all you want to do, I don’t fault you, but I have a different view of what role I should play in keeping my community safe. I don’t agree with the notion that we leave the dangerous stuff to the police.
People have different ideals on what they consider their civic duty. I willingly concede that notion.

However, I just believe that a confrontation could've been avoided in this case and as the adult in this situation, Zimmerman didn't react wisely. I can't imagine any scenario where Trayvon is at fault for his own death.

Nor can I imagine any scenario where the police just let a guy who shot someone walk away without detaining him at the police station for extensive questioning. All the other stuff aside, that boggles my mind.

JBond

Reaction score
Eric_Boyer;4476473 said:
This is well known,

I chose to not bring up the teens issues because character assassination of a dead kid seems pretty gross to me. I hope that is also why the media failed to report it.

I mentioned it not out of disrespect but to make sure as much info as possible is out there so people can make a more informed opinion. Getting kicked out is not the end of the world. I was suspended once in high school and things turned out OK. Just to be clear I was not try to demean the character of the kid. Just presenting an alternate view that had not been discussed.

Most folks here have jumped to certain conclusions. The mob mentality is strong right now. Again, let this thing play out.

JBond

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;4476483 said:
People have different ideals on what they consider their civic duty. I willingly concede that notion.

However, I just believe that a confrontation could've been avoided in this case and as the adult in this situation, Zimmerman didn't react wisely. I can't imagine any scenario where Trayvon is at fault for his own death.

Nor can I imagine any scenario where the police just let a guy who shot someone walk away without detaining him at the police station for extensive questioning. All the other stuff aside, that boggles my mind.

WG, I hear what you are saying. Many things do not add up. I believe there may have been several factors that have not been considered yet. More info will come out. Just because things seem inexplicable right now, does not mean the cops are horrible and the shooter is evil. I find the irony of people judging a person who allegedly judged someone else a bit disturbing. Especially without clear facts to go by.

It may have been avoidable or maybe not. Again, there is too little reliable info right now to make a sound decision.