NFC East remaining schedules and likely outcomes

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
Actually he was a 2nd round pick. IMO Jerry would have never spend a 2nd round pick on a backup qb. Not in Jerry's DNA. Also, the Patriots were ripe for a upset with their losses on offense this year and a marginal Oline. I'm not sure who the best team is in the AFC now. I'm not sure its the Patriots.

True enough. But he has won 2....... he was drafted 2nd round, with the idea of developing him...... Its called "planning". How happy do you think the broncos are because of it? It has basically saved their season..... Do you think they question the draft choice ?

they can spend resources like this, and still field a defense. ummmmmmmm?

The patriots were ripe for a loss...with all the injuries, thats for sure. But with that said, it was still difficult to pull off that WIN...and the Bears too.....but they managed to do it......big fat Ws....

vaturkey

Reaction score
True enough. But he has won 2....... he was drafted 2nd round, with the idea of developing him...... Its called "planning". How happy do you think the broncos are because of it? It has basically saved their season..... Do you think they question the draft choice ?

they can spend resources like this, and still field a defense. ummmmmmmm?

The patriots were ripe for a loss...with all the injuries, thats for sure. But with that said, it was still difficult to pull off that WIN...and the Bears too.....but they managed to do it......big fat Ws....

Hey, I'm not disagreeing with you at all. I'm just pointing out he was a second round choice and I doubt if Jerry would make the plunge. There is zero doubt that John Elway is a better GM then Jerry at this point.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
meanwhile. The Denver broncos beat the undefeated "mega all world tom brady and bill belicheck patriots" with a guy named Osweiller, a 3rd round choice they have been grooming for years.....

ummmm, seems like John Elway knows the importance of a QB and Backup QB.....And has the balls to spend resources on it. If i am not mistaken, thats the second win the backup has racked up......

Obviously they aren't as smart as the Cowboy FO. You're supposed to wait until your QB is broken before you even think about drafting a QB.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
Hey, I'm not disagreeing with you at all. I'm just pointing out he was a second round choice and I doubt if Jerry would make the plunge. There is zero doubt that John Elway is a better GM then Jerry at this point.

Maybe Stephen will ?

Michael88Irvin

Reaction score
I like Michael88Irvin optimism and dedication. He is a fan. He is just blinded by all that.

Step back. forget about how the NFCE has played. And look at how the Cowboys have played. We had both Dez and Romo in the game for that Carolina game, but it goes far deeper then that. Much deeper. Look at it objectively.

What in the world have you seen out of this Cowboys team , that makes you think they can pull this off.....

What you are suggesting is a miracle. A really really big one too.. I guess it could happen. I could win the lottery too......................................

who knows, we buy tickets once a week........

First, I appreciate the sentiment.
Second, what I have seen is that aside from the 3 wins (and keeping in mind we were 15-3 with TR going into the Carolina game, and yes, I realize we were 0-7 without him and understanding that Weeden's gameplay is irrelevant, as he is gone, and I didn't like his play anyway - although we could have won 2 of his 3 games - losing to Atlanta after leading most of his 1st game, and losing to the Saints in OT! in his 2nd game - losing to the Patriots with Weeden was a given)...

...in the 4 games so far with Cassel, Cassel improved each game (except for Tampa). Understanding that he had just gotten here and had a little over a week to prepare for his first game.
Here is what I saw...
1) he led us to a 20-20 tie against the 1st place Giants (AT New York), standing in there with excellent poise and leading an 80 yard game tying Touchdown drive in the fourth quarter (after overcoming 2 early INTs). Had it not been for a miraculous KO return by Harris to go up 27-20, and Beasley muffing that punt with plenty of time, we had a good chance of winning that game.
2) He performed well against the Seahawks, Cowboys barely losing 13-12, with the Seahawks kicking a game winning FG in the final minute. We had some bad calls in that game, and had a TD taken away for a bogus OPI flag as I recall.
3) Against Philly he played really well (3 TDs, 300 yards), leading us 54 yards down the field to tie the game 27-27 with a Bailey FG at the end of regulation... as you recall we lost the toss, and the eagles got a TD on their opening drive ending the game. There were a mountain of bad calls in that game. Very frustrating, but as you can see, we are not getting blown out in these games... all razor thin losses that could easily have been W's
4) There was plenty of blame to go around for the Tampa game... we came out flat across the board, but again, only lost by 4 points and with the D holding them to 10 points, should have easily won that game.

Knowing that he led the Patriots to an 11-5 record and the playoffs shows that he can get it done... the difference there was that he had a couple years to learn the system under Brady, and he ending up playing the entire 2008 season after Brady was knocked out in the 1st game of 08.

The teams we are playing are not world beaters... The Cowboys with Cassel can win 4 of those games, and possibly run the table. We will likely only need 4 wins to tie, and we win the tie breaker as long as we sweep the Skins. Period. The math is fairly simple, and do not need much help at all. The Giants will lose to Carolina, and lose at least 2 more. Washington will lose at least 1 other besides our games.

It is not that hard a road... many teams have come from 2 games behind with 5 to play. It's not that difficult to do.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
First, I appreciate the sentiment.
Second, what I have seen is that aside from the 3 wins (and keeping in mind we were 15-3 with TR going into the Carolina game, and yes, I realize we were 0-7 without him and understanding that Weeden's gameplay is irrelevant, as he is gone, and I didn't like his play anyway - although we could have won 2 of his 3 games - losing to Atlanta after leading most of his 1st game, and losing to the Saints in OT! in his 2nd game - losing to the Patriots with Weeden was a given)...

...in the 4 games so far with Cassel, Cassel improved each game (except for Tampa). Understanding that he had just gotten here and had a little over a week to prepare for his first game.
Here is what I saw...
1) he led us to a 20-20 tie against the 1st place Giants (AT New York), standing in there with excellent poise and leading an 80 yard game tying Touchdown drive in the fourth quarter (after overcoming 2 early INTs). Had it not been for a miraculous KO return by Harris to go up 27-20, and Beasley muffing that punt with plenty of time, we had a good chance of winning that game.
2) He performed well against the Seahawks, Cowboys barely losing 13-12, with the Seahawks kicking a game winning FG in the final minute. We had some bad calls in that game, and had a TD taken away for a bogus OPI flag as I recall.
3) Against Philly he played really well (3 TDs, 300 yards), leading us 54 yards down the field to tie the game 27-27 with a Bailey FG at the end of regulation... as you recall we lost the toss, and the eagles got a TD on their opening drive ending the game. There were a mountain of bad calls in that game. Very frustrating, but as you can see, we are not getting blown out in these games... all razor thin losses that could easily have been W's
4) There was plenty of blame to go around for the Tampa game... we came out flat across the board, but again, only lost by 4 points and with the D holding them to 10 points, should have easily won that game.

Knowing that he led the Patriots to an 11-5 record and the playoffs shows that he can get it done... the difference there was that he had a couple years to learn the system under Brady, and he ending up playing the entire 2008 season after Brady was knocked out in the 1st game of 08.

The teams we are playing are not world beaters... The Cowboys with Cassel can win 4 of those games, and possibly run the table. We will likely only need 4 wins to tie, and we win the tie breaker as long as we sweep the Skins. Period. The math is fairly simple, and do not need much help at all. The Giants will lose to Carolina, and lose at least 2 more. Washington will lose at least 1 other besides our games.

It is not that hard a road... many teams have come from 2 games behind with 5 to play. It's not that difficult to do.

I give ya that point. Point taken. I like how Cassel has progressed too......im just not sure if its enough.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Your post: "LOL homer picks. Dallas will be doing good to finish with 5 wins."
strikes many as negative...
...5 wins, ie. finishing 2-3 is a negative statement.

The fact that you have 'Thread Killer' under your name, sounds fairly negative 'LOL'
I would guess that wasn't your first negative comment about the Cowboys, but I could be wrong.

Am not butt hurt at all... just irritating to have so called 'fans' come on here and bash our team.
Call me a homer after we are mathematically eliminated. Until then, MANY agree that we have a legit shot at a playoff position, and as we have all witnessed over the years, ANYTHING can happen once the playoffs start. Everyone starts 0-0. Should we get in, we have the talent to do well. Not 1 and done. We just need to get on a roll.

Should we win the division, what will you say?

So if you consider the Cowboys went 0-7 with the backup QBs this year. And then me thinking they actually might win 2 games with the same backup QBs is it really negative? Seems to me I'm actually being positive.

And IMO you thinking the Cowboys finishing 4-1 is rather pie in the sky aka being a homer. This team, this year, has not shown it can do that without Romo.

Just because I do not agree with you does not mean I'm being negative.

Michael88Irvin

Reaction score
So if you consider the Cowboys went 0-7 with the backup QBs this year. And then me thinking they actually might win 2 games with the same backup QBs is it really negative? Seems to me I'm actually being positive.

And IMO you thinking the Cowboys finishing 4-1 is rather pie in the sky aka being a homer. This team, this year, has not shown it can do that without Romo.

Just because I do not agree with you does not mean I'm being negative.

See my extended reply above, Cassel and the boys will win 4 of the last 5, if not run the table. The boys and Cassel are good enough to do it. Again, Weeden's losses are irrelevant (although should have won 2 of those 3), and each of Cassel's losses you are hanging your hat on could have easily been W's. We are due for some close games to go our way (2 OT losses, a 1 pt loss, Harris' KO return loss), and a 4 pt loss when holding opponent to 10pts), and will likely win 2 of those 4/5 games very handily: 7-10 pts+.

Cassel's 4 losses were against teams playing well at the time and are all teams in the playoff hunt...

While on the other hand, our upcoming schedule has 3 opponents at 5-6 (Wash & Bills who are 2-3 their last 5), 1 @ 6-5 (Jets who are 2-3 their last 5), and GB at 7-4, having lost 4 of their last 5.
Again, not world beaters by any means.

Do you want in on the bet Wayne02 proposed? LOL

Wayne02

Reaction score
See my extended reply above, Cassel and the boys will win 4 of the last 5, if not run the table. The boys and Cassel are good enough to do it. Again, Weeden's losses are irrelevant (although should have won 2 of those 3), and each of Cassel's losses you are hanging your hat on could have easily been W's. We are due for some close games to go our way (2 OT losses, a 1 pt loss, Harris' KO return loss), and a 4 pt loss when holding opponent to 10pts), and will likely win 2 of those 4/5 games very handily: 7-10 pts+.

Cassel's 4 losses were against teams playing well at the time and are all teams in the playoff hunt...

While on the other hand, our upcoming schedule has 3 opponents at 5-6 (Wash & Bills who are 2-3 their last 5), 1 @ 6-5 (Jets who are 2-3 their last 5), and GB at 7-4, having lost 4 of their last 5.

The Giants weren't playing well when they beat us, they've lost two straight since beating us. The Eagles have lost 3 straight and their last W came against the Cowboys. The Seahawks lost the very next game after beating the Cowboys, and the Bucs just lost to Matt Hasselbeck. I don't know why you just made up that story about the last 4 teams Cassel faced playing good football. None of those teams were playing good football until they played the Cowboys.

clskinsfan

Reaction score
LMAO! You do realize the Commanders are salivating over playing Dallas twice and Philly once to close out the season? I am a Skins fan. But I am a realist. We may not win this abysmal division but Dallas isnt going 4-1 or 5-0 to close the season. Even in your own extended comment above. You list out the Cowboys real problems and it's not just losing your starting QB. Complaining about ref's calls is what losing teams and fans do. Believe me the the Skins and their fans do it all the time. Oh. And the Skins are the only team in the NFCE that all of the teams remaining on their schedule have losing records. I would put my money on our schedule over Dallas's any day.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
IMO it is a stupid bet. I have no plans to leave cowboyszone.com for 1 month because the Cowboys could finish 4-1, 3-2, 2-3,1-4 or 0-5. Unlike fair weather fans, I'm not going anywhere. I enjoy discussing the team with other fans. This year sucks. The majority of the last 20 years has sucked. I will live with it.

wittenattack

Reaction score
The Giants weren't playing well when they beat us, they've lost two straight since beating us. The Eagles have lost 3 straight and their last W came against the Cowboys. The Seahawks lost the very next game after beating the Cowboys, and the Bucs just lost to Matt Hasselbeck. I don't know why you just made up that story about the last 4 teams Cassel faced playing good football. None of those teams were playing good football until they played the Cowboys.

Actually... the Gmen didn't lose 2 straight right after beating us...
1) after beating us 27-20, the Giants went on to put up 49 points on the Saints (although their D gave up 52 LOL), then beat the Bucs 32-18 in a strong outing, and then played the Undefeated Patriots tough, almost beating them 26-27, with the Patriots needing a miracle 30 second drive to kick a last second FG. I would say they were playing their best ball playing us, and up to their BYE, then came out flat against the Skins.
2) the 3 games prior to the Eagles playing us were pretty strong: They beat the Saints 39-17, then beat the Giants 27-7, then had a tough game vs. the undefeated Panthers losing 27-16 (not horrible)... then put up 33 on us playing pretty damn well, beating us in OT (seems teams always play their best against us, we're like their superbowl). It took a great effort to beat us. After that game, they had a huge let down, but that 4 game stretch us to playing us they were playing pretty good ball.
3) And the Seahawks have played tough most of the year... the 5 games prior to us: They blanked the Bears 26-0, then beat Detroit, then lost a close one 27-24 to the 9-2 Bengals, and another close one 27-23 to the Undefeated Panthers, then pounded SF 20-3, before barely beating us 13-12. - Since then they played 9-2 Cardinals tough losing 32-39, Then pounded SF again 29-13 and the Steelers 39-30!
4) And lastly, the 4 games prior to playing us, Tampa beat JAX 38-31, then lost a heartbreaker in the final second to Wash (after leading the entire game) 31-30, then beat Atlanta 23-20, then lost to the Gmen 32-18 playing well (score was close most of the game), then beat us 10-6, then beat the crap out of Philly 45-17!

So not sure what you mean about Michael88Irvin making up those teams playing well during the time they played us... those were all strong stretches in NFL terms.

Michael88Irvin

Reaction score
Actually... the Gmen didn't lose 2 straight right after beating us...
1) after beating us 27-20, the Giants went on to put up 49 points on the Saints (although their D gave up 52 LOL), then beat the Bucs 32-18 in a strong outing, and then played the Undefeated Patriots tough, almost beating them 26-27, with the Patriots needing a miracle 30 second drive to kick a last second FG. I would say they were playing their best ball playing us, and up to their BYE, then came out flat against the Skins.
2) the 3 games prior to the Eagles playing us were pretty strong: They beat the Saints 39-17, then beat the Giants 27-7, then had a tough game vs. the undefeated Panthers losing 27-16 (not horrible)... then put up 33 on us playing pretty damn well, beating us in OT (seems teams always play their best against us, we're like their superbowl). It took a great effort to beat us. After that game, they had a huge let down, but that 4 game stretch us to playing us they were playing pretty good ball.
3) And the Seahawks have played tough most of the year... the 5 games prior to us: They blanked the Bears 26-0, then beat Detroit, then lost a close one 27-24 to the 9-2 Bengals, and another close one 27-23 to the Undefeated Panthers, then pounded SF 20-3, before barely beating us 13-12. - Since then they played 9-2 Cardinals tough losing 32-39, Then pounded SF again 29-13 and the Steelers 39-30!
4) And lastly, the 4 games prior to playing us, Tampa beat JAX 38-31, then lost a heartbreaker in the final second to Wash (after leading the entire game) 31-30, then beat Atlanta 23-20, then lost to the Gmen 32-18 playing well (score was close most of the game), then beat us 10-6, then beat the crap out of Philly 45-17!

So not sure what you mean about Michael88Irvin making up those teams playing well during the time they played us... those were all strong stretches in NFL terms.

Couldn't have said it better myself... well said!

Wood

Reaction score

your reminding me of Eagle fans who always think they are on verge of run no matter how bad they are.

George

a legend in your own mind
Reaction score
Our season is an absolute bust if we don't resolve the coaching issues and defense secondary issues.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Because you never give up.
Other teams went on to win with back up QBs, even though fans did not give them a chance to do so.

Miami got to the SB with a backup, Washington won with a backup, twice I believe, Giants won with a backup

This presumes things are the same.