Reaction score
Coleman Wr
Cooper LB
McKinley DT
Benson RB
Brooks RB
Beebe IOL
Gray LB
I'd be stoked for any of these guys but I hope they don't spend anything earlier than #73 on McKinley

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Yup, draft day is where hope resides......we can debate the picks when it's over
Exactly, and training camp will likely initiate that. But, for now, unless we do something incredibly stupid (like sign a QB to a 4 year deal and then draft his replacement), its time to hope and dream.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I guess he's an option too, thanks, although he's at a similar weight (330ish) that Mazi was. I always remember the Vikings having giants on the line, more along the Sweat frame.
I'd be all for Sweat. I mean, he was in most of my mock drafts. Plus, his pre-draft arrest makes him a candidate for a 2nd round pick haha. But, yeah, him or Jackson at 5 would be good choices.

bewp7

Reaction score
just get a lb and dont do some thing stupid like trade up for brooks

Dalmations202

Reaction score
He’s been pushed down to the 6th 7th round due to bad film and effort
This is what always cracks me up every year, and why I think the so called evaluators are often not very good at their jobs.

Film was watched. He was described as a 3rd round player. He goes to the Sr bowl and several articles come out and say he made $$$$ going there for sure, dominated many draftable IOL.

Then a couple weeks before the draft..........he has been pushed down to the 6th or 7th due to bad film and effort.

HE HAS NOT PLAYED A GAME since the SR BOWL where he was all written up. His evaluation was great the first few weeks thereafter.

How is he now dropping when he hasn't played a down? This happens every year to some players and I just do not understand how they can be great on film then all of a sudden discovered they aren't. Either the original evaluators are way stronger than Hoover and Dyson, or the new evaluation is only out there for some team to try and drive their value down. Either way, I don't understand them, and I think they all are lacking in their ability to evaluate.

Example this year. I used 3-5 draft simulators, read all I could. Everyone had Penix going late one or lower. --- Taken top 10. He may end up a horrible bust or the best QB in the class, but evaluators aren't very good when players move this much when they aren't playing.

Carson

Reaction score
This is what always cracks me up every year, and why I think the so called evaluators are often not very good at their jobs.

Film was watched. He was described as a 3rd round player. He goes to the Sr bowl and several articles come out and say he made $$$$ going there for sure, dominated many draftable IOL.

Then a couple weeks before the draft..........he has been pushed down to the 6th or 7th due to bad film and effort.

HE HAS NOT PLAYED A GAME since the SR BOWL where he was all written up. His evaluation was great the first few weeks thereafter.

How is he now dropping when he hasn't played a down? This happens every year to some players and I just do not understand how they can be great on film then all of a sudden discovered they aren't. Either the original evaluators are way stronger than Hoover and Dyson, or the new evaluation is only out there for some team to try and drive their value down. Either way, I don't understand them, and I think they all are lacking in their ability to evaluate.

Example this year. I used 3-5 draft simulators, read all I could. Everyone had Penix going late one or lower. --- Taken top 10. He may end up a horrible bust or the best QB in the class, but evaluators aren't very good when players move this much when they aren't playing.
I hear you.

But I do trust guys like Dane Brugler who do this for a living

Dalmations202

Reaction score
I hear you.

But I do trust guys like Dane Brugler who do this for a living
I don't trust any of them. Seems like the "evaluators" work off MLB batting average. If I can bat .300, they consider themselves ELITE. So getting 30% correct makes you awesome and someone will pay you big bucks for your opinion.

Flamma

Reaction score
I'd be all for Sweat. I mean, he was in most of my mock drafts. Plus, his pre-draft arrest makes him a candidate for a 2nd round pick haha. But, yeah, him or Jackson at 5 would be good choices.
His draft stock dropped. He's a 3rd round candidate now. He might be there at pick 73. He is a giant specimen.

zekecowboy

Reaction score
As another note to my previous post, I think Guyton will be due for some hard work to increase his upper body strength. Nevertheless, the Cowboys have excellent facilities to make that happen. Yes, that young man is somewhat raw and will be expected to work hard to gain the strength he'll be due to get. He might be inclined to have a few problems in pass protection for a while but it's very likely that, given time, he should develop into a stalwart left tackle that we'll all be very proud of. Don't be surprised if his weight increases to about 230 lbs. or so, very shortly. He's at 222 lbs. now.

I'm hoping for some good things for round two, though. Admittedly, we have enough needs that no matter what happens, we should come out of that round with someone we'll be relieved to see available to us. So far, so good. Let's await round two with delicious anticipation, my good friends!

Round 1, No. 29 overall (via Detroit): Tyler Guyton, OT, Oklahoma​

My take: You never want to be forced into taking a specific position in the draft, but the Cowboys almost had to come away with an offensive lineman in the first round. By trading back with Detroit, the Cowboys cost themselves a chance to take center Graham Barton, who is more ready to play right away, but Guyton plays a premium position at tackle. He will need some time to adjust to the pro game as well as likely a new position after starting just 15 games at Oklahoma with 13 coming at right tackle. Replacing a legend like Tyron Smith at left tackle would be difficult for any rookie but patience might be the biggest key when assessing Guyton as a rookie.

Guyton has played a total of 13 games at right tackle. He is very raw and will need time to adapt to the pro game.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score

My take: You never want to be forced into taking a specific position in the draft, but the Cowboys almost had to come away with an offensive lineman in the first round. By trading back with Detroit, the Cowboys cost themselves a chance to take center Graham Barton, who is more ready to play right away, but Guyton plays a premium position at tackle. He will need some time to adjust to the pro game as well as likely a new position after starting just 15 games at Oklahoma with 13 coming at right tackle. Replacing a legend like Tyron Smith at left tackle would be difficult for any rookie but patience might be the biggest key when assessing Guyton as a rookie.

Guyton has played a total of 13 games at right tackle. He is very raw and will need time to adapt to the pro game.
I, for one, am quite willing to risk the slings and arrows of the time it may take for Guyton to evolve into the player that his talent suggests.:thumbup:
Graham Barton was mainly a candidate for a guard spot, rather than one at OT. The OT spot is more crucial, imho, than that of a guard or center.
That is where the acquiring of Guyton was the right thing to do.

Last edited:

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

Don't you know it's a crap draft if we don't go QB every year? Sheesh, some people

If you don't get it, check out another thread involving this.