NFLPA Files Temporary Restraining Order! **merged**

joseephuss

Reaction score
Still you. You trust the NFL to run their own private investigation and give an honest assessment. The whole point of this thread and Elliott's appeal is based on the idea that the NFL is full of garbage.

Sure, the NFL probably unofficially considered the "pulling down the top incident" as part of the overall punishment; however, they stated it was not officially used in determining the 6 game suspension. That means they can't now reduce his suspension and say it will be 1 game due to the "pulling down the top incident". They closed that path on themselves.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Don't expect him not to miss any games. I'm a Cowboys fan, but I understand the woman's shirt incident is worth one game.
No its not unless the woman would've said she minded. At that point it would've been more than that IMO if she went to the authorities. Otherwise this is morality stuff and I'm not for punishment based on other morality on this issue. Now if they said the punishment now was for this other than the DV less people would say something because when you're financially successful some people think you should be held to a different standard than others. I don't but wouldn't complained about the suspension but I don't think its worth a game for pulling a girls top down who had no problem with it. People are making it seem like he was reported for assault on this lady.

Screw The Hall

Reaction score
From the lawsuit:

x Thompson lied to investigators and encouraged her friend to lie to the police as well (id. at 15-16, 22-23);

x Thompson destroyed relevant evidence from her cell phones (id. at 23-24);

x Thompson changed her account of critical events repeatedly and only mentioned significant information after she had been interviewed a number of times (see, e.g., id. at 11, 20, 27-29);

x Thompson’s allegations were inconsistent with other evidence (see e.g., id. at 8, 12, 32);

x Thompson’s credibility was undermined by her numerous threats to “ruin” Elliott’s life and career as revenge for his not wanting to continue his relationship with her in the manner she desired (see, e.g., id. at 9, 24-25); and

x Thompson considered extorting Elliott with alleged sex videos and took steps to effectuate such a plan (id. at 26-27).

But you know she does have that female thing going on for her, so let's just believe her for the hell of it.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
And the people who complain about it aren't also demanding Gronk serve a suspension either.

You talking about pulling down the girl's top? Yeah, I agree. It's immature and it's not a good look for the NFL, but it's also not illegal (if she doesn't press charges) and it's stuff that young guys do. Now, if the NFL is truly cracking down on anything that could hurt their image, then I have no problem with suspending someone 1-2 games for something like that. It's their business, their rules. But if you're gonna enforce that, be consistent. Gronk has been one of the most immature players for a while now. Personally, I don't have a problem with it - he's just having fun. But don't go punishing Zeke then.

erod

Reaction score
Personally, I'd settle for a one game suspension so long as it's rendered Wednesday so Elliott can play against the Giants.

Anything short of that.....sue their ***.

xvendettax914

Reaction score
The point is that your claim that they can now "get him" for the shirt pulling incident is wrong. They admonished him for the bahavior and stated that it didn't cause this punishment. They can't go back on that statement now. Your claim is wrong.
quite frankly, the way it looks now, if they wanted to suspend him 2 games for that and used that as the reason they would have been better off than this crazy DV stuff.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score

flosho

Reaction score
I keep reading in articles that Elliott's suspension is due to "violation of the NFL's personal conduct policy" and not "domestic violence policy". However the NFL used the "baseline domestic violence" 6-game minimum suspension to punish him for the "personal conduct policy" violation. It seems like the NFL has intentionally made this ambiguous so they have flexibility in what comes next.

They've really played on the semantics of the situation.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
You talking about pulling down the girl's top? Yeah, I agree. It's immature and it's not a good look for the NFL, but it's also not illegal (if she doesn't press charges) and it's stuff that young guys do. Now, if the NFL is truly cracking down on anything that could hurt their image, then I have no problem with suspending someone 1-2 games for something like that. It's their business, their rules. But if you're gonna enforce that, be consistent. Gronk has been one of the most immature players for a while now. Personally, I don't have a problem with it - he's just having fun. But don't go punishing Zeke then.
This is exactly the problem with the shirt incident suspension people for better or worse are going to start checking who else did similar and who did or didn't get suspended. Once they find that out it is then going to lead to questions unless everybody got suspended which we know isn't the case of why that is so. We all know one of the first things some people are going to say. I wouldn't necessarily disagree either with it unless I hear some groundbreaking reason on what is so different. I don't know if the gronk thing is true(never saw it but I assume someone has as much as its mentioned) but if it is most of us know where this is headed as far as perception.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It really seems the NFL is dead set on Zeke being suspended. It doesn't matter if they are shady or seem corrupt...as long as they get to keep the player suspended, that's all that matters.

I don't get it.

Wouldn't you rather say, "Hey, seems like we may have acted a little rash here. We may need to drop this suspension and reevaluate."?

Guess that's asking too much of Goodell?
The NFL's backs are against the wall and they are taking the time-honored position of deny, deny, deny. Rarely do you see one party in a dispute man-up and admit they made a mistake. And, I don't think it will happen here.

Once the NFL admitted that Goddell was aware of the lead investigator's recommendation not to suspend, it tells me there is no graceful or face-saving avenue for the NFL. Right or wrong, the NFL is posturing that they will fight this to the end. They are going to end up with a far more tarnished "brand" than if Zeke was convicted of DV.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
The NFL has never ever ever lied to you. Not once.

Seriously, dude. Enough with the naïveté. We know it was a contributing factor.

Speak for yourself. There is no we. There is only you.

Perhaps Goodell felt that way perhaps he did not but one thing is certain: you don't get to speak for him.

Whether it could be a lie is really immaterial. At the end of the day, they cannot go back on what they listed as their stated reason and their stated reason is that it was exclusively on the basis of the DV accusation.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Sure, the NFL probably unofficially considered the "pulling down the top incident" as part of the overall punishment; however, they stated it was not officially used in determining the 6 game suspension. That means they can't now reduce his suspension and say it will be 1 game due to the "pulling down the top incident". They closed that path on themselves.
No, but they can say, okay jk suspension for this but 2 games for that. They didn't close the path, they left room to still punish.

MrPeanutbutter

What is this, a crossover episode?
Reaction score
Speak for yourself. There is no we. There is only you.

Perhaps Goodell felt that way perhaps he did not but one thing is certain: you don't get to speak for him.

Whether it could be a lie is really immaterial. At the end of the day, they cannot go back on what they listed as their stated reason and their stated reason is that it was exclusively on the basis of the DV accusation.
Sorry I gave you more credit than you're willing to accept. Will keep in mind. I hold this board to a higher standard, honestly.

MrPeanutbutter

What is this, a crossover episode?
Reaction score
All I'm trying to say is Elliott should get one game. If he doesn't, that's despicable. The bold is definitely true, but they made the mistake of thinking they would get away with giving Elliott 6 games. I'm not arguing they didn't put their foot in their mouths, but I also am not naive enough to believe his other transgressions didn't hurt his case.