NFLPA Files Temporary Restraining Order! **merged**

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
That is the first legal move in a lot of legal cases. The defense will start out with a motion stating the whole thing is an outrage and they shouldn't even have to show up.

Almost every case -- the defense almost always files whiny-*** motions at the beginning. It's like printing and sending form letters because the burden of proof is on the petitioner.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score

I keep telling people this.

It doesn't matter what was negotiated in the CBA or what Goodell's powers are - fundamental fairness and the idea of good faith negotiation still matter, despite being principles/doctrines in Constitutional Law.

The NFLPA negotiated the CBA under the good faith presumption that Goodell would act fairly.

If Goodell is violating the good faith trust in negoation, and the hearing and procedure was fundamentally unfair to Elliott, courts can fix that, and generally they will to prevent this and other unions from being screwed by the employer.

TheHerd

Reaction score
I never believed they could possibly overturn the Dez catch. I've also never seen an illegal attempt at a fake substitution called a penalty. And so on and so on...

Can the NFL pull this miracle off?

For all those that say "why would they not favor the Cowboys" "they're the most popular team" it doesn't makes sense. The Cowboys do very well in sales and ratings regardless of record.

It would be hard for a reasonable person to argue that there weren't many many problems with the NFL's case and suspension against Elliot. Many have pointed to Friel having a severe conflict of interest. That and many other factors are very hard to ignore.
I've never used the word conspiracy. Only bias and hatred of a team. This wreaks of all three of those discriptions.

Ever since the Nike deal the league has been after Jerry however they can get him. The DV angle intersected nicely with their 25 year agenda.

Jerry has been ok with it because he is continuing to fill his gold stores anyway, but I think they pushed him too far this time.

The part I can't believe is that in 13 months these are the best lies and the best presentation they could come up with. It's stunning how incompetent that report looks. The NFL is clearly banking on the anti-Cowboys bias in the PR battle at least, and to some extent they were right in their calculations. If the league had put forth a case like this against a Giant, this would be seen in a very different light by the ESPN crowd.

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
I keep telling people this.

It doesn't matter what was negotiated in the CBA or what Goodell's powers are - fundamental fairness and the idea of good faith negotiation still matter, despite being principles/doctrines in Constitutional Law.

The NFLPA negotiated the CBA under the good faith presumption that Goodell would act fairly.

If Goodell is violating the good faith trust in negoation, and the hearing and procedure was fundamentally unfair to Elliott, courts can fix that, and generally they will to prevent this and other unions from being screwed by the employer.
Absolutely! Now if the NFL followed their rules to the letter, and found real and compelling evidence that he is guilty, then see you on October 29th Zeke... but they didn't, so here we are.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Ever since the Nike deal the league has been after Jerry however they can get him. The DV angle intersected nicely with their 25 year agenda.

Jerry has been ok with it because he is continuing to fill his gold stores anyway, but I think they pushed him too far this time.

The part I can't believe is that in 13 months these are the best lies and the best presentation they could come up with. It's stunning how incompetent that report looks. The NFL is clearly banking on the anti-Cowboys bias in the PR battle at least, and to some extent they were right in their calculations. If the league had put forth a case like this against a Giant, this would be seen in a very different light by the ESPN crowd.

Joke's on us - they'd never do this to a New York Giant.

Absolutely! Now if the NFL followed their rules to the letter, and found real and compelling evidence that he is guilty, then see you on October 29th Zeke... but they didn't, so here we are.

Agree entirely. I didn't think that Greg Hardy hit and choked the girl in his case, but he did have the initial court appearance result in a verdict, and then there were questions floating about his appeal. Regardless of whether he hit a woman, he's still a weirdo and a dirtbag. His suspension was what it was.

For Zeke it's the same - I love my Dallas Cowboys but if you did the crime you do the time. We've had guys get suspended for PEDs/recreational drugs, and hey, I don't like the suspensions but it is what it is.

The Zeke case is a complete joke, though. EVEN IF its true in some way that Zeke dragged her out of a car, for example, this investigation is RIFE with inconsistencies and contradictions. There's no way you can make sense of it one way or another.

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
After everything we've read, I can't see how the judge could ignore a move like that? Its like duh we see what you're trying to do. I mean judges take notice of stuff like that right?
I believe he will take that into account. I'm also sure they are talking to the judge's office offline to let him know of the shenanigans the NFL has done in the past to keep him abreast of why they are "reacting" to whatever the NFL attorneys do at any time of day.

The NFL are slick, but they left a trail (Deflategate) for Zeke's legal team to learn from and follow.

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
The NFL is literally going to wait until the very last minute. I'm not sure how this TX judge is going to respond to that.
They'll tip his office off about the nonsense the NFL does to try to win their case. I'd be willing to bet that Zeke's legal team has someone in their office on retainer, ready to receive a date timed fax or phone call at a moment's notice to receive legal docs. As long as Kessler did his research that helps them anticipate the NFL's next move, shouldn't be a problem.

This has to be costing Zeke a fortune. I'd pay it too though if I were him to clear my good name. And that's why I say he should go after Goodell, who makes > $40M a year. He should seek punitive damages of at least $100M to offset his legal costs, any lost signing bonus pay, any current and future endorsements the stigma of "woman beater" will bring, how the American public will forever look at him - even after he wins this case, etc.

phildadon86

Reaction score
They'll tip his office off about the nonsense the NFL does to try to win their case. I'd be willing to bet that Zeke's legal team has someone in their office on retainer, ready to receive a date timed fax or phone call at a moment's notice to receive legal docs. As long as Kessler did his research that helps them anticipate the NFL's next move, shouldn't be a problem.

This has to be costing Zeke a fortune. I'd pay it too though if I were him to clear my good name. And that's why I say he should go after Goodell, who makes > $40M a year. He should seek punitive damages of at least $100M to offset his legal costs, any lost signing bonus pay, any current and future endorsements the stigma of "woman beater" will bring, how the American public will forever look at him - even after he wins this case, etc.
To be quite honest he should sue TT for 100 million. Tell the truth and I drop the suit. At the end of the day Jerry is paying the legal bill. I have no doubt about that.