Twitter: Offensive coaching staff likely staying

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
why would a guy like mccarthy take assistants who don't know his offense?

the insanity and stupidity of the jones family knows no end. Forcing moore and kitna on people is nuts.
Not sure I understand the whining here?
McCarthy coached a long time in one spot and his assts are mostly employed.
What magic well was he supposed to go to to find "his guys"?

Columbo was good here and Kellen was probably promoted too quickly but remains a top offensive staffer that will be in insanely high demand.
He has one season as OC and led the top-ranked offense in football.
What team wouldn't try to keep that.

Half the staff is out of contract and a few simply under performed badly but there are few guys any NFL team would love to have.

I'm all for a new Head Coach having final say but I'd certainly hope he'd at least consider guys already under contract here.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I hate this organization.

How can these fools keep repeating the same mistake.

This search is nothing but finding the biggest retread who is the most desperate and will coach the team under the Jone's circumstances.

Oh guess what? Then when it fails they will let the coach finally bring in his own guys and give them another 5 years.. 10 years later we find out the coach is no good.

This is a joke.

MikeB80

Reaction score
shan sharrif is on the radio here saying he has been told a couple of times that sanjay lal and amari cooper do not like each other and the reason for cooper being on the sideline a bunch is because of lal......he said he can't believe the offensive assistants are coming back.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Not necessarily, I think a head coach like McCarthy, etc that call their own plays would be good for Moore.

If you hire a HC and don't let him pick his own staff, then its a mistake.

EXACT same issue Wade had with Garrett. Forced upon him. To some degree the presence of Garrett undermined Wade. Somewhat of the young heir apparent to the coaching job.

I would see Moore as the same issue.

JayFord

Reaction score
Even though i would clean house i can understand why they keep them

they were number 1 in the league so theyre worth another shot but should be on the shortest leash possible because a couple of games we had to rack up 300 yards in one quarter because the offense did jack crap for 3 quarters

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
If you hire a HC and don't let him pick his own staff, then its a mistake.

EXACT same issue Wade had with Garrett. Forced upon him. To some degree the presence of Garrett undermined Wade. Somewhat of the young heir apparent to the coaching job.

I would see Moore as the same issue.

Agree completely. If there is a line coach or something I get it but overall, McCarthy already said he wants to implement and run his offense. Having Moore there is just useless and makes him seem like another "coach in training."

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Agree completely. If there is a line coach or something I get it but overall, McCarthy already said he wants to implement and run his offense. Having Moore there is just useless and makes him seem like another "coach in training."

You tell the coach which current staff members you think are quality and let him interview them if he wants along with other outside guys he might want. Make his own decisions on his own staff.

Anything else is meddling, forcing, and undermining.

Zordon

Reaction score
Same old crap.

Unreal, but I don't know what anyone expected.

I posted something years ago here about how he refuses to eat contracts of assistants.

He simply will not do it. They all work for him so everyone should get along.

Also so he can have "his guys" on the new staff to be his eyes and ears.

It's a terrible and dysfunctional organization and he created it. It's not changing because Garrett left. We are simply getting a new Garrett.
He made a quote awhile back about "not being in the business of paying coaches not to coach". This is the same man people claim is willing to do anything to win.

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
Well, Looks like I will be saving a lot of money next season. And losing weight.

Jerry Jones, you are truly the devil.

Sydla

Reaction score
It's hilarious watching homers try to defend the owner forcing assistants he likes on the new HC.

Any competent search would involve hiring the best HC one can find and then letting that HC decide on his staff, which could and should include interviewing existing coaches on staff. But that's it.

Anyone arguing that it's perfectly normal and fair and correct to force existing coaching staff members on a new HC is being silly. It also is an example of the dysfunction that exists in this franchise, where the owner basically decides who the HC can and can't hire on his own staff.

Lets hope this is just internet hysteria and rumor and not what is really happening behind the scenes.

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score
I've really got no issue with a strong O coach teaching and mentoring Moore, Kitna, Colombo, and Brown.

It should be up to the HC to decide if he wants to mentor those guys.

If they hire McCarthy and he wants to keep Moore around, great. But McCarthy (or any HC) shouldn't have a coaching staff then foisted upon him because the owner has a boner over his new Garrett in Moore.

MikeB80

Reaction score
Not sure I understand the whining here?
McCarthy coached a long time in one spot and his assts are mostly employed.
What magic well was he supposed to go to to find "his guys"?

Columbo was good here and Kellen was probably promoted too quickly but remains a top offensive staffer that will be in insanely high demand.
He has one season as OC and led the top-ranked offense in football.
What team wouldn't try to keep that.

Half the staff is out of contract and a few simply under performed badly but there are few guys any NFL team would love to have.

I'm all for a new Head Coach having final say but I'd certainly hope he'd at least consider guys already under contract here.

whining? You meaning making an accurate point? None of these guys have coached in McCarthy's offense which goes back to Paul Hackett's variation of Bill Walsh's offense.

So how is this the best use of that offense.

to your second point, most of his guys are available.

Tom Clements his long time assistant in Green Bay is simply a qb coach in arizona.
Alex Van Pelt - another long time assistant is simply a qb coach in Cincinnati
Ben McAdoo - spent a decade with him is unemployed.
James Campen - long time O-line coach with him is the O line coach in Cleveland - New coach could fire him.
Jerry Fontenot his long time Tight ends coach is the head coach of LA's XFL team. I bet he would come to Dallas with him.
Joe Philbin - Long time mccarthy assistant - unemployed
Sam Gash - former Rb's coach in GB - currently unemployed
Ron Zook - Former st coach and currently available

so explain to me how I am whining. When you hire a coach you are hiring him to change the program/culture/scheme. The best way to do that is to have him bring his coaches with him to speed up the process and so that everyone is on the same page. Tom Clements has been his right hand man, McAdoo and Philbin have been head coaches. If you are hiring someone you should do everything you can to help him succeed.

When Parcells came to Dallas he couldn't get any of his coaches out of contracts to come here and most were happy in new england. that meant on top of fixing the day to day operations, finding talent, handling all things media and actually coaching the players he had to coach the coaches because they had not worked with him before. When he went to new england his guys went with him, the jets, his guys went with him and that is how you do it.

Offering the job to McCarthy but telling him he cannot bring his offensive staff with him who are all pretty much available is insane.

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score
That's why I think in the end....It's gonna be Kellen's job. Jerry and Stephen will split the difference. Stephen wants to go young...Jerry wants proven experience....Kellen made the #1 offense. They go out and get a real defensive coordinator w/ experience.

You mean down the road, right? Not that they are going to hire Kellen Moore to be HC for 2020.

Sydla

Reaction score
And when you have two young smart guys who did well in their first season coaching (unlike the rest of the staff), why wouldn't you tell the new HC you are recommending them? People are reacting like this is a take or leave it thing, when it reality its probably a "please consider Moore and Columbo"

Yes, because that's how Jerry has operated for years. LOL. There is little doubt Jerry Jones would make stipulations to potential coaches on staff members he wants to keep.