**Official** 53 Man Roster Projection **merged**

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Updated predictions based off the first pre season game

QB: Tony Romo, Brandon Weeden
-Vaughan had some nice throws on his TD drive against SD, but 1 game really isn't enough to unseat Weeden. Still maintain that neither has much long term potential and neither are very good now, so I would rather keep Vaughan only if he beats out Weeden.
RB: Joseph Randle, Darren McFadden, Lance Dunbar
-Doubt this changes barring a trade or injury, especially the reviews McFadden has gotten after a few days of practice. Dunbar was vulnerable imo, but that ended when Gus Johnson inured his shoulder.
FB: Tyler Clutts
-With all of the reps he's gotten at RB as a pass protector, I think he's a lock.
WR: Dez Bryant, Terrence Williams, Cole Beasley, Devin Street, Lucky Whitehead
-Despite his struggles, I still like Whitehead to make the team. I think he has the best potential as a WR and as a returner, but he may not be ready day 1.
TE: Jason Witten, Gavin Escobar, James Hanna, Geoff Swaim
-I'm thinking at this point there is little chance Swaim does not make the roster, and I would not be opposed to the team dealing away Hanna.
OT: Tyron Smith, Doug Free, Darrion Weems, Laurence Gibson
-I have little confidence in Weems, but it seems the team is comfortable with his progress. Gibson starts off on the team, but I do think he is released when Green is healthy enough to practice. And I would not IR Green, we need him to be able to practice, so next year he can be the swing tackle.
OG: Ron Leary, Zach Martin, La'el Collins
-I like that Martin has been working at center because I would like to see Collins active on game days.
C: Travis Frederick, Mackenzie Bernadeau
-None of the other centers has a real chance of beating Bernadeau
DE: Demarcus Lawrence, Jeremy Mincey, Randy Gregory, Ryan Russell, Ben Gardner
-I think Lavar Edwards is the odd man out at the end of training camp and after Hardy is reinstated, Gardner is released. If Russell is moved inside permanently, I can see Gardner sticking, but I see Russell being a bit of a hybrid player.
DT: Tyrone Crawford, Nick Hayden, Terrell McClain, Jack Crawford, Ken Bishop
-Personally, I'd rather keep at least one guy that can push Hayden for playing time. McClain could but he's always hurt, so we really only have Bishop and Coleman that I think could excel at the 1 tech, so hopefully we keep one of them.
LB: Sean Lee, Anthony Hitchens, Damien Wilson, Andrew Gachkar, Jasper Brinkley, Kyle Wilbur
-I think these 6 LBers are a lock to make the 53 out of training camp, and am closer to thinking we keep 7 when McClain comes back.
CB: Orlando Scandrick, Brandon Carr, Byron Jones, Morris Claiborne, Corey White, Tyler Patmon
-Boy was this position hit hard with injuries...either way Corey White has been a great pick up, hopefully we can keep him beyond this season.
S: JJ Wilcox, Barry Church, Danny McCray, Jeff Heath
-I think all 4 make the team, but I'm closer to thinking McCray is released when McClain comes back.

K: Dan Bailey
P: Chris Jones
LS: LP LaDouceur

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Updated predictions based off the first pre season game

-Vaughan had some nice throws on his TD drive against SD, but 1 game really isn't enough to unseat Weeden. Still maintain that neither has much long term potential and neither are very good now, so I would rather keep Vaughan only if he beats out Weeden.
-Doubt this changes barring a trade or injury, especially the reviews McFadden has gotten after a few days of practice. Dunbar was vulnerable imo, but that ended when Gus Johnson inured his shoulder.
-With all of the reps he's gotten at RB as a pass protector, I think he's a lock.
-Despite his struggles, I still like Whitehead to make the team. I think he has the best potential as a WR and as a returner, but he may not be ready day 1.
-I'm thinking at this point there is little chance Swaim does not make the roster, and I would not be opposed to the team dealing away Hanna.
-I have little confidence in Weems, but it seems the team is comfortable with his progress. Gibson starts off on the team, but I do think he is released when Green is healthy enough to practice. And I would not IR Green, we need him to be able to practice, so next year he can be the swing tackle.
-I like that Martin has been working at center because I would like to see Collins active on game days.
-I think Lavar Edwards is the odd man out at the end of training camp and after Hardy is reinstated, Gardner is released. If Russell is moved inside permanently, I can see Gardner sticking, but I see Russell being a bit of a hybrid player.
-Personally, I'd rather keep at least one guy that can push Hayden for playing time. McClain could but he's always hurt, so we really only have Bishop and Coleman that I think could excel at the 1 tech, so hopefully we keep one of them.
LB: Sean Lee, Anthony Hitchens, Damien Wilson, Andrew Gachkar, Jasper Brinkley, Kyle Wilbur
-I think these 6 LBers are a lock to make the 53 out of training camp, and am closer to thinking we keep 7 when McClain comes back.
CB: Orlando Scandrick, Brandon Carr, Byron Jones, Morris Claiborne, Corey White, Tyler Patmon
-Boy was this position hit hard with injuries...either way Corey White has been a great pick up, hopefully we can keep him beyond this season.
-I think all 4 make the team, but I'm closer to thinking McCray is released when McClain comes back.

I think Russell is much higher on the depth chart than Gardner.

Dump McCray and keep Coleman.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
At QB, I could see Jamiel Showers possibly doing double duty as our #3 QB and on special teams. Obviously, he'd be required to show substantially more good work at QB in the preseason, though.

Last edited:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep,

From what I've read Coleman seems to be having a decent camp so far.

Coleman has terrific physical ability. The issue is that he appeared to abandon the proper technique and not adhere to the scheme requirements at times in the preseason game.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
QB: Tony Romo, Brandon Weeden, Dustin Vaughn
-Vaughan has improved since starting camp out of sorts. His weird month of rest decision is behind him and he is the inactive 3rd QB on game days which is good roster mgmt.

-It is what it is. Barring injury these guys get first crack.

-Whitehead battling other teams cuts for ST job. Street seemingly holding on a by a thread.

TE: Jason Witten, Gavin Escobar, James Hanna
-Swain likely through to PS. Other 3 very dependable guys thus no change. Hanna too good a blocker to move on.

OT: Tyron Smith, Doug Free, Darrion Weems, John Wetzel PUP:Chaz Green
-Wetzel likely battling Gibson whom he seems to have beaten out in practice but also everyone else's cuts. .
-Easy here.
-same here

DE: Demarcus Lawrence, Jeremy Mincey, Randy Gregory, Ryan Russell, Lavar Edwards SUS: Greg Hardy
-1 of Gardner, Edwards, Russell gets dropped. Going Gardner to PS for now.
-Bishop/Coleman in same spot as last year. Team could drop McClain if they feel he won't be healthy to keep the cheaper guys they own rights to longer.

LB: Sean Lee, Anthony Hitchens, Damien Wilson, Andrew Gachkar, Jasper Brinkley, Kyle Wilbur SUS: McClain
-Pretty easy here until Ro comes off suspension.

-Lots of talent here.
S: JJ Wilcox, Barry Church, Jeff Heath
-Light at safety with Byron Jones and Corey White also able to help here.

PS: Davon Coleman, Ben Gardner, Jamiell Showers, Laurence Gibson, Geoff Swaim, Efe Obada, David Porter, Lache Seastrunk, Robert Steeples, Tim Scott

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
-Vaughan has improved since starting camp out of sorts. His weird month of rest decision is behind him and he is the inactive 3rd QB on game days which is good roster mgmt.

-It is what it is. Barring injury these guys get first crack.

-Whitehead battling other teams cuts for ST job. Street seemingly holding on a by a thread.

-Swain likely through to PS. Other 3 very dependable guys thus no change. Hanna too good a blocker to move on.

OT: Tyron Smith, Doug Free, Darrion Weems, John Wetzel PUP:Chaz Green
-Wetzel likely battling Gibson whom he seems to have beaten out in practice but also everyone else's cuts. .
-Easy here.
-same here

DE: Demarcus Lawrence, Jeremy Mincey, Randy Gregory, Ryan Russell, Lavar Edwards SUS: Greg Hardy
-1 of Gardner, Edwards, Russell gets dropped. Going Gardner to PS for now.
-Bishop/Coleman in same spot as last year. Team could drop McClain if they feel he won't be healthy to keep the cheaper guys they own rights to longer.

LB: Sean Lee, Anthony Hitchens, Damien Wilson, Andrew Gachkar, Jasper Brinkley, Kyle Wilbur SUS: McClain
-Pretty easy here until Ro comes off suspension.

-Lots of talent here.
-Light at safety with Byron Jones and Corey White also able to help here.

PS: Davon Coleman, Ben Gardner, Jamiell Showers, Laurence Gibson, Geoff Swaim, Efe Obada, David Porter, Lache Seastrunk, Robert Steeples, Tim Scott

Looks close.

No need to keep Wetzel on the 53. He stayed on the PS all of last year.

Coleman and Swaim most likely to get interest from other teams if they continue to flash like they did against SD.

I have not seen enough from Vaughan to think that another team would want to sign him and dump some guy that has been developing in their system already. The remaining PS games could help answer this question.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
after ps game #1

.....Vaughan was kept last year, so I don't think they will give up on him this year, unless some dire need to really have that roster spot. QB's even with some potential are harder to find and keep than a 4th TE or bottom 11th DL, 10th OL, 10th DB type.

.....unless a RB falls in our laps somehow, these guys will produce behind the top OL.

.....Whitehead because of his return capability, but can be pushed by Porter or Harwell.

.....do ont mess with what is not broken with these 3. Swaim may show some stuff, but still a PS guy, unless a roster numbers game work in his favor, or a FB is not kept.

OT: Tyron Smith, Doug Free, Darrion Weems, Gibson PUP:Chaz Green / IR
.....I would have Gibson on the PS, but until we know the status of Green, I have him on the roster. Wetzel may push, but need to see more.

....this should be everyone's picks.

.....and this too.

.....this is a tough call for all of us, based on what we see, hear and read. And will be a head scratcher for the ones that do not predict it right...LOL...
.....a few good players will get cut. I will keep Edwards as he is having a very good TC, and good game 1. But who goes when Hardy returns.
.....But how can they keep Gardner too, it will be between him and Edwards.

.....Coleman will be a hard choice, as some will have him, others won't. McClain depends on his health issues, so could be him or Coleman, or they go long even more at DE and keep Gardner

LB: Sean Lee, Anthony Hitchens, Damien Wilson, Andrew Gachkar, Jasper Brinkley, Kyle Wilbur, Keith Smith SUS: McClain
.....When RoMac comes off suspension, then they release Keith Smith. As he was on and off the roster like 6 times last year.

.....deepest we been at DB in a very long time.

.....I would put Heath or McCray in here, but Jones and White's versatility makes one of them expendable, as well as needing the roster spot for a LB and DL until Ro and Hardy return.

PS: Davon Coleman, Ben Gardner, Jamiell Showers, John Wetzel, Geoff Swaim, Efe Obada, David Porter, Lache Seastrunk, Nick Harwell, Tim Scott [Keith Smith once ro returns]
.....also for the PS, there are usually 4 or 5 players not even on the roster that are added, so some of these guys won't be on this list.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Looks close.

No need to keep Wetzel on the 53. He stayed on the PS all of last year.

Coleman and Swaim most likely to get interest from other teams if they continue to flash like they did against SD.

I have not seen enough from Vaughan to think that another team would want to sign him and dump some guy that has been developing in their system already. The remaining PS games could help answer this question.

They kept Vaughn last year and it makes sense with the way the 3rd/inactive QB becomes a free game day slot. An extra guy dressed is never bad.

Unless Swaim or the loser of Coleman/Bishop can help you on STs, it will be tough to keep them. That's always the issue after about the top 40 spots.

Wetzel was kept last year at final cuts them dumped to PS as we made claims. Could be similar this year but if Green goes PUP/IR I think Wetzel is ahead of Gibson for that last spot. Other guy gets invite to PS obviously.

The team has some actual depth now a days. I suspect we start losing guys to other teams. My 10 man PS may well be down to 3 or 4 after other teams claim guys.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They kept Vaughn last year and it makes sense with the way the 3rd/inactive QB becomes a free game day slot. An extra guy dressed is never bad.

Unless Swaim or the loser of Coleman/Bishop can help you on STs, it will be tough to keep them. That's always the issue after about the top 40 spots.

Wetzel was kept last year at final cuts them dumped to PS as we made claims. Could be similar this year but if Green goes PUP/IR I think Wetzel is ahead of Gibson for that last spot. Other guy gets invite to PS obviously.

The team has some actual depth now a days. I suspect we start losing guys to other teams. My 10 man PS may well be down to 3 or 4 after other teams claim guys.

They did away with the 3rd QB rule when they increased the gameday roster from 45 to 46.

Special Teams have no bearing on inactive developmental players. If they're not active then their ability in that area neither helps or hurts the team.

I rarely try to predict the PS. There are just too many variables.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Post preseason game #2 roster projection

-I think most people are now done with Vaughan, but now they seem to be on the Showers bandwagon. I'll still say Vaughan vs Showers should be for the practice squad, not for the 53 man roster. Neither has shown enough to warrant a roster spot.
-Very unlikely that this changes, we *could* keep a 4th RB, but I doubt it and do not think we should. Gus Johnson will be fine on the practice squad.
-Originally I believed that he would be competing with Swaim, but Clutts isn't going anywhere.
-I'm open to a more experienced PR and Whitehead being on the practice squad, but I don't really know who is out there.
-I would love to move Hannah for a pick, but I'm not sure if he has enough tape as a receiver for some team to offer a 4th or 5th round pick. Anything less, and I keep 4 TEs.
-At this point, I hope our "swing tackle" is Zack Martin. Weems just isn't good enough and hopefully Chaz Green shows enough when coming off the pup list that we choose to activate him.
-Solid group, not much else to say
DT: Tyrone Crawford, Nick Hayden, Jack Crawford, Davon Coleman, Ken Bishop
-At this point I'd rather just go with Coleman and Bishop over McClain. He's spent almost his entire time here hurt and will never consistently be on the field.

starfrombirth

Reaction score
Post preseason game #2 roster projection

QB: Tony Romo, Brandon Weeden, Showers - offers as much or more special teams as McCray
-I think most people are now done with Vaughan, but now they seem to be on the Showers bandwagon. I'll still say Vaughan vs Showers should be for the practice squad, not for the 53 man roster. Neither has shown enough to warrant a roster spot.
-Very unlikely that this changes, we *could* keep a 4th RB, but I doubt it and do not think we should. Gus Johnson will be fine on the practice squad.
FB: Tyler Clutts - Cant dig out the block at the point of attack. Think they try the TE experiment again.
-Originally I believed that he would be competing with Swaim, but Clutts isn't going anywhere.
WR: Dez Bryant, Terrence Williams, Cole Beasley, Devin Street, Lucky Whitehead (This might be Porter's spot)
-I'm open to a more experienced PR and Whitehead being on the practice squad, but I don't really know who is out there.
-I would love to move Hannah for a pick, but I'm not sure if he has enough tape as a receiver for some team to offer a 4th or 5th round pick. Anything less, and I keep 4 TEs.
-At this point, I hope our "swing tackle" is Zack Martin. Weems just isn't good enough and hopefully Chaz Green shows enough when coming off the pup list that we choose to activate him.
-Solid group, not much else to say
DT: Tyrone Crawford, Nick Hayden - my surprise cut this year , Jack Crawford, Davon Coleman, Ken Bishop
-At this point I'd rather just go with Coleman and Bishop over McClain. He's spent almost his entire time here hurt and will never consistently be on the field.

Mostly agree... just a few differences in my opinion

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
QBs (2) Romo, Weeden
I can't see any reasons to carry either Vaughan or Showers on the 53 at this point.

RBs (4) McFadden, Randle, Dunbar, Clutts
After Randle looked like the better back last week, it was McFadden's turn to show of his burst and speed.

WRs (5) Bryant, Williams, Beasley, Street, Whitehead
Improvements made by Williams and Beasley this offseason should make the passing game more potent. I still believe Whitehead makes the team at this point, but isn't going to be trusted with return duties yet.

TEs (4) Witten, Escobar, Hanna, Swaim
This position benefits from Dallas carrying fewer QBs, although none of the tight ends did much in this game.

OL (9) Smith, Leary, Frederick, Martin, Free, Weems, Bernadeau, Collins, Gibson
I still could see Gibson going on the practice squad, but his improvement in practice and the fact that the team doesn't carry just eight OL that often made me keep him.

DL (11) (Hardy), Mincey, T. Crawford, Hayden, Lawrence, Gregory, T. McClain, J. Crawford, Coleman, Russell, Gardner, Bishop
I'm still going long here although I do think we could stop at 10 with the last spot coming down to T. McClain and Bishop, and go longer at LB.

LBs (6) (R. McClain), Lee, Hitchens, Gachkar, Wilber, Wilson and Smith
Gachkar played very well at the Mike tonight, and Wilber being tried there last week seems to mean Brinkley won't be kept. Smith is a better special teams choice.

DBs (9) Carr, Claiborne, Church, Wilcox, Jones, White, Patmon, Heath, McCray
Claiborne looked like he belonged tonight while Jones looked like he needs a little more seasoning in coverage.

STs (3) Bailey, Ladouceur, Jones
Good to see Jones refind his form from a few seasons ago. It seemed like he got messed up when we brought Bissacia in, but he did some things tonight that reminded me why we were willing to move on from McBriar.

Derinyar

Reaction score
Seems reasonable. I don't think we carry Gibson on the 53. I think if we go for 9 OLine that we probably end up picking up someone else's cut. Just don't think Gibson is someone that we would feel comfortable playing any snaps this year. I also suspect that we find one more young CB in the cuts which will probably be that 10 DLine spot.