Oh Theo -- It's Tashard Choice *Merge*

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Oh_Canada;2057953 said:
Sounds great...we took a part-timer in the first round....makes me fee sooo good.

a part-timer who will touch the ball more than Mendenhall

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
TEUFELI;2057811 said:
Jerry completely lied or didnt follow his own advice when he told ed werder that we werent looking for backups to our 13 probowlers...

Really Jerry???

Felix - back up rb

Jenkins - back up cb

Bennett - back up te

Choice - back back up rb

Solid Jerry.

There were no players where we picked who were sure fire starters on a 13-3 team with 13 Pro Bowlers. Everyone was going to come in here and not start. TD didn't start when he got here.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2057965 said:

Mendenhall will run for about 10,000 more yards in his career than BREADSTICK Jones will...you can book it!!

braw

Reaction score
Oh_Canada;2057939 said:
My point is they are close.....Jones has never been a full time guy....EVER.

Mendenhall's avg per carry was 8.2 in '06...as a part-timer and 6.4 as a FULL-TIMER.....I want to see what Jones would do as a full time back. I am just sick of hearing how Jones is soooo much faster than Mendenhall when he is not....in pads or in underwear.

Get with the times...The NFL is not about full timers right now. Because a life span for a full time rb is 3 to 4 yrs. Now if you have 3 to 4 rbs who share time that prolongs their life span(ala Kevin Faulk) who was a major contributor to the 18-1 record.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2057965 said:

No kidding. Do these people think that Mendenhall was going to come in and supplant Barber? Jones will touch the ball more than Mendenhall would have because he's more versatile.

CPonder14

Reaction score
Oh_Canada;2057974 said:
Mendenhall will run for about 10,000 more yards in his career than BREADSTICK Jones will...you can book it!!

you got the lotto numbers also?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Oh_Canada;2057974 said:
You're right that he'll likely have more career yardage. But he wouldn't have if he were here.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
BigTimeCowboy;2057986 said:
This thread is going downhill fast...

no kidding

Sasquatch;2057987 said:
No kidding. Do these people think that Mendenhall was going to come in and supplant Barber? Jones will touch the ball more than Mendenhall would have because he's more versatile.

we'll see what happens, but I'm willing to bet that Jones gets at least 1,800 all-purpose yardage to Mendenhalls' 900

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
It's almost pointless to compare Jones and Mendenhall ... because it's impossible. They played in two polar opposite offenses. Mendenhall played in a spread offense with a team that threw the ball a ton. Defenses were much more spread out. Jones ran the ball in an option offense that faced 8-9 man fronts in the box on every snap.

And taking Mendenhall would have still meant that the Cowboys would have needed to bring in another RB. We needed 2 RB's going into today. Taking Mendenhall just means we need to address a pass catching RB later.

So what's the difference in taking Felix Jones in the 1st and Choice in the 4th compared to taking Mendenhall in the 1st and Dontrell Savage in the 4th?

morasp

Reaction score
Memo to Barber:

We wont be signing you to a 30 million dollar contract.

Also, for what it's worth, the draft insiders called Jones one of the most productive scat backs to come along in a while and the perfect compliment to a workhorse starter. I really think he was the perfect fit for us.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
It's no use....my orginal point is completely lost now.

I just think you need to use every pick wisely in the draft and Jones totally messed this up by drafting a guy who is a part-time player in the first round....which you will notice the best teams NEVER do. It's fine to draft one who will not be a full-timer early in the career, but they need to be ABLE to at some point, otherwise you are just playing catch up forever.

MCowboys

Reaction score
CowboyWay;2057829 said:
We never make this pick if we took mendenhall instead of Felix.

Good player, good pick, however, if we take mendenhall like we should have, we didn't need to waste this pick on tashard choice.

That's true. Instead, we would have wasted this pick on a true 3rd down back.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Oh_Canada said:
It's no use....my orginal point is completely lost now.

I just think you need to use every pick wisely in the draft and Jones totally messed this up by drafting a guy who is a part-time player in the first round....which you will notice the best teams NEVER do. It's fine to draft one who will not be a full-timer early in the career, but they need to be ABLE to at some point, otherwise you are just playing catch up forever.

you never had a point, buddeh

Mendenhall is a part-time player in Pitt, he was going to be a part-time player in Dallas

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
I like Choice alot and Understand the need for 3 Good RB's, Just thought that we would wait a liitle late for someone like Fossett, Brown or Bryd. I really would have like to seen us grab Red Bryant instead of all this trading down, however you can't deny that we are set at RB now.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
AmishCowboy;2058024 said:
I like Choice alot and Understand the need for 3 Good RB's, Just thought that we would wait a liitle late for someone like Fossett, Brown or Bryd. I really would have like to seen us grab Red Bryant instead of all this trading down, however you can't deny that we are set at RB now.
Problem with those guys is they're late round talents. Choice, to me, has always been a late 1st round talent.

Choice had knee surgery his senior season, then came back 2 weeks later and had 3 consecutive games of 170, 142, and 134 yards. Tough dude.