Operation Catnip

waldoputty

Reaction score
That's not the question. The question is "how far away can anything smell?".

both are relevant.
i am leaving the fish/food every 20 feet from the road.
the lure closest to the road will have some sardine oil on the ground also just in case something else gets the lure.
we shall see

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Omg the rats at your house are gonna get bigger and stronger thanks to all the delicious food you will be leaving them.

By the time you get back they will have multiplied and it will be the beginning of a horde

:laugh: Just messing with you Waldo. But i do strongly disagree with leaving food out

waldoputty

Reaction score
Omg the rats at your house are gonna get bigger and stronger thanks to all the delicious food you will be leaving them.

By the time you get back they will have multiplied and it will be the beginning of a horde

:laugh: Just messing with you Waldo. But i do strongly disagree with leaving food out

i konw. i will leave enough that the 1-2 rat will not be able to eat it up - which is 10% of body weight.

waldoputty

Reaction score
I can just see all the sneaking around going on by your place at night. Cue the Pink Panther theme........

i hope it is not roadrunner theme.

not much sneaking. 3 spots of lure. 20ft, 40ft and 60 ft from the road.
1/3 pound of cat food and a sardine at each location.
pour some sardine oil around each area.
then set peanut butter traps in the crawlspace area.
no catnip for the 1st 2 nights.

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
I envision a scenario where the lure works so well you have an army of cats around your house. At the same time, all of your rats have come down to the crawlspace to check out the peanut butter. The stage is set...... and then...in the dead of night..... it happens!

A rat trips a trap but it misses. Between the sound of the trap snapping shut and the lucky rat running for his life, all the rats come flooding out of the crawl space in fear for their lives.

The cats, who have been amassing at your house, hear the noise and look up to see a veritable wave of rats storming at them. :eek: They, in turn, scatter like leaves in a storm, rushing all over the neighborhood.

The dogs in the neighborhood see the cats go screaming past them and start to bark, waking their owners, who wonder what's causing the dogs to bark. The owners hear the noises made by the cats as they are jumping fences, rattling garbage cans and such. Burglars! ...they think and call the police. The police station is inundated with so many calls at one time they believe this must be some type of gang terrorizing the neighborhood. So they send out multiple squad cars and even a helicopter and the next thing you know they're spotlighting your entire neighborhood for hours. It ends up on the local news.

Can't wait to hear how it goes. :D

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Thanks for all who provided advice for the rat problem
Having considered the upside and risk, I have decided to lure some wild cats to my house on a 0.75 acre lot.
Just picked up catnip, catfood and sardines - a small $16 investment - for a shot to address the rat problem.

In case I have unwanted cats, is anyone in the SF bay area with big nasty dogs that I can rent?

Plan:
Thursday night arrival to SF house - use catfood and sardines spaced 20 feet apart on the driveway to lure cats up to my house. hopefully after their meal, they will smell the rat(s) and wait around for their dessert.
At the same time, will set several peanut snap traps along the outwall around the house.

Friday night: after inspection of areas with the lures, will again leave catfood and sardine.

Saturday afternoon - after inspection of areas with the lures, will again leave catfood and sardines. Will use catnip next to the house with cat food and sardines. Then leave for LA again.

Will advise everyone of the good news or disaster.
Thanks again for all the advice!

https://lh4.***BROKEN***/OAMDHaoQfDYctXEj3OGO_DMKw2kIUFBZl0hV7YCAmdUMPjwOGKz_44g6-uC0g_ombMTjzjQMjxYBOIZYaMbL_D3QjEOXSMa6teVDeQAmlBx-jNFzN8V8BS0s6x5P53BswtBuOVld

https://lh6.***BROKEN***/t1D_hZGKve1uFpfv7XhB5vdZJPkkJF9eZ85WtlmRCQ74WRHaxmepbuckxMpWdTwjTsIAtxlNZUXczQ7VJOiZiCPX9nlu91ttfTZd4VikbziuW1bRAYQkx5Ba7XIAbjJ_LWPvyfDj

https://lh3.***BROKEN***/IIpAbly7cZS2UzdRjm0nAYMgs_0_BviLFgD3d6jzxMt3nCtr8buBfyc9YtWLX2Dz9_7wJpnR69WdWXdpQGGnGUp_NP5yFTP2KqrildsNNWm_qLhVTD9rQ5tCPWt7lufPA3cMXdHu
Waitasecond- you have close to an acre in the SF-Bay area? Look at Mr GotRocks!