Opposite Sex Friends

Cowboyslife

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;3787971 said:
Can't say I've ever found another man attractive.

See, this is where we disagree. Admitting someone is attractive looking doesn't necessarily have to mean that you are attracted to them. Sometimes it could just be used to make a point, which I believe Dallas here is trying to do.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
theogt;3787895 said:
tl;dr.

If you find them attractive, by definition that means you're attracted to them. End of conversation.

You are truly completely wrong. Saying someone is attractive has NOTHING and I mean NOTHING to do w/ WANTING to "get" w/ them, which is clearly what you meant earlier.

I find many things attractive in life. It's all in ones definition, I suppose.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Cowboyslife;3787977 said:
See, this is where we disagree. Admitting someone is attractive looking doesn't necessarily have to mean that you are attracted to them. Sometimes it could just be used to make a point about someone, which I believe Dallas here is trying to do.

+5 pts for you for nailing what I meant. :D

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Cowboyslife;3787977 said:
See, this is where we disagree. Admitting someone is attractive looking doesn't necessarily have to mean that you are attracted to them. Sometimes it could just be used to make a point, which I believe Dallas here is trying to do.
See my edit. A car can be beautiful, but you're not going to take it on a date.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Dallas;3787978 said:
You are truly completely wrong. Saying someone is attractive has NOTHING and I mean NOTHING to do w/ WANTING to "get" w/ them, which is clearly what you meant earlier.

I find many things attractive in life. It's all in ones definition, I suppose.
I don't think you "get" this. It's not up for debate. That is the definition of "attractive." If you find someone "attractive" it means that you're attracted to them. This isn't an opinion. It's just a description of what is.

Cowboyslife

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;3787991 said:
See my edit. A car can be beautiful, but you're not going to take it on a date.

True, so if your friend bought a Bentley and said to you, "man, aint that one sexy car?!!" You're not going to think he's going to get busy with the fuel nozzle would you?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Cowboyslife;3787999 said:
True, so if your friend bought a Bentley and said to you, "man, aint that one sexy car?!!" You're not going to think he's going to get busy with the fuel nozzle would you?
Absolutely not. But if I say, "hey that car is beautiful!" you're going to think that if I had the opportunity and the means, I would own that car.

Cowboyslife

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;3788003 said:
Absolutely not. But if I say, "hey that car is beautiful!" you're going to think that if I had the opportunity and the means, I would own that car.

But I don't see that in the definition of attractive. Attractive is anything that is pleasing to the eyes and mind, not anything that you want to do it with.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
theogt;3788003 said:

So if I say that girl is beautiful, that means I want to free graze on her open range or I want to purchase her like my last Audi?

If I say Brad Pitt is an attractive dude. I can see why girls like him. That means I WANT to be w/ him?

I guess when you break it down like that theo, I must be gay? :confused:

Huh....I never thought myself as gay before.

39 years and I never knew.

Teren_Kanan

Reaction score
casmith07;3787710 said:
Common interests is a cop out, in my opinion. If your interests are generally typical for a man or woman, then one could reasonably expect your friends that share those interests to be of the same sex. I'd be rather upset if my fiancee was going over to some guy's place to watch Jersey Shore at 9PM at night because it was a "common interest" rather than hanging with some girlfriends. Plus, like I said before, I would rather sit and watch some nonsense on Bravo that I don't care about with her because she IS my best friend.

I'd MUCH MUCH MUCH Prefer my girlfriend go to some guy's place to watch crappy TV shows than force me to watch them. It's not even close.

We have shows we both like. We watch them together, it's fun. She doesn't watch shows I love that she hates, and I don't expect her to. I don't watch shows that she loves and I hate, and I don't expect to. So if some straight guy just LOVES Project Runway, then by all means baby, go watch it with him and get it off my TV.

Cowboyslife

Benched
Reaction score
Dallas;3788036 said:
So if I say that girl is beautiful, that means I want to free graze on her open range or I want to purchase her like my last Audi?

If I say Brad Pitt is an attractive dude. I can see why girls like him. That means I WANT to be w/ him?

We must be cruel in order to be kind. That's what the poet said. Don't take it too badly :).

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Dallas;3788036 said:
It means if you had the means and the opportunity, you would want to be more than just friends.

See the car analogy.

39 years and I never knew.
Don't be stupid.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Cowboyslife;3788043 said:
We must be cruel in order to be kind. That's what the poet said. Don't take it too badly :).

touche' :laugh2:

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Teren_Kanan;3788041 said:
I'd MUCH MUCH MUCH Prefer my girlfriend go to some guy's place to watch crappy TV shows than force me to watch them. It's not even close.

We have shows we both like. We watch them together, it's fun. She doesn't watch shows I love that she hates, and I don't expect her to. I don't watch shows that she loves and I hate, and I don't expect to. So if some straight guy just LOVES Project Runway, then by all means baby, go watch it with him and get it off my TV.

You're wired differently from me. There are no circumstances in which I would advocate my fiancee spending time with another man that wasn't a relative. Never.

Cowboyslife

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;3788062 said:
It means if you had the means and the opportunity, you would want to be more.

Aren't we forgetting about a little thing called self-control? Are you suggesting that all males are natural born cheaters if they're just simply waved on in?

Wow, this conversation has gone way off the mark, but enjoyable nonetheless, truly.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Cowboyslife;3788074 said:
Aren't we forgetting about a little thing called self-control?
No, we're not. No one is forgetting about it.

Are you suggesting that all males are natural born cheaters if they're just simply waved on in?
Nope.

Wow, this conversation has gone way off the mark, but enjoyable nonetheless, truly.
I can see how you would think this. But that's only because you've completely misunderstood just about every thing I've said.

Cowboyslife

Benched
Reaction score
casmith07;3788065 said:
You're wired differently from me. There are no circumstances in which I would advocate my fiancee spending time with another man that wasn't a relative. Never.

This, I can totally understand. That would be just weird.

Cowboyslife

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;3788084 said:
No, we're not. No one is forgetting about it.

Nope.

I can see how you would think this. But that's only because you've completely misunderstood just about every thing I've said.

If someone had self-control, why then would they want more if the opportunity presented itself and why would they go about seeking it? That's the very definition of lacking self-control.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Dallas;3788036 said:

Considering some of the crap I've seen at Argus parties, I would say so! :lmao2: