P90 workout - Questions and comments

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4467577 said:
75lbs in 7 weeks is ridiculous. But very very good job. If you don't mind me asking, how' you do that?

The Bootcamp I joined was run by an Ex Army drill sergeant who also trained the Cowboys cheerleaders (Or still does not sure.) Plus I totally changed my diet..

A lot of water weight and bloating I guess from severe depression...

Kristi

I Rue Everything
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;4468904 said:
I just bought a watch for heart rate monitoring from Walmart for 35.00. It has a feature for tracking heart rate continiously and calories burned in a workout but you have to wear a chest strap for that part. Otherwise you put your finger on the metal plate on top and it checks your heart rate that way.

I am not well versed in these so I don't know much about them but I don't know of any watches that will track continously without a chest monitor. I've got a buddy who just bought one that is a heart rate monitor and IPod all in one but that too has a chest strap and it's even more expensive. It was upwards of 120 bucks so he could continously track all those things and listen to his music.

Does your one from Walmart work well? I don't really care so much what my heart rate is, more so calories burned. I think my dad saw the one you use at Walmart when I had him look when he was at the store. If it works well, I might try it. I found a Timex one online for about $50, no chest strap that does what I want. That's not so bad. One of the trainers recommended Polar, but they all have straps.

Before I totally rule out trackers with straps. Is the strap comfortable? Does it get in the way of any workouts?

One more question - is the watch really big? I've been reading reviews from women on all different monitor watches and some just are too big for women with tiny wrists -- I fall into that category. I really want a pink one, but frankly I just want one that works well and does a couple of things. I don't need the bells and whistles model. :)

Wimbo

Reaction score
Kristi;4468985 said:
Does your one from Walmart work well? I don't really care so much what my heart rate is, more so calories burned. I think my dad saw the one you use at Walmart when I had him look when he was at the store. If it works well, I might try it. I found a Timex one online for about $50, no chest strap that does what I want. That's not so bad. One of the trainers recommended Polar, but they all have straps.

Before I totally rule out trackers with straps. Is the strap comfortable? Does it get in the way of any workouts?

One more question - is the watch really big? I've been reading reviews from women on all different monitor watches and some just are too big for women with tiny wrists -- I fall into that category. I really want a pink one, but frankly I just want one that works well and does a couple of things. I don't need the bells and whistles model. :)

hey, make sure you note that the Timex you linked to" Does not give continuous heart rate reading" It will not be able to report you the total calories burned.

Kristi

I Rue Everything
Reaction score
Wimbo;4469048 said:
hey, make sure you note that the Timex you linked to" Does not give continuous heart rate reading" It will not be able to report you the total calories burned.

So to get a calories burned you have to have a continuous heart rate reading on any watch?

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Kristi;4468985 said:

Works extremely well. I'm quite pleased with it.

The chest strap isn't uncomfortable at all and doesn't restrict anything in a work. In fact after a few minutes you'll hardly even notice that it's there.

Now the size of the watch...yeah it might look a bit big on a womans wrist, particularly if she's tiny, but it's not huge or anything. I'd say it's an average sized watch for a man.

Definately worth the money though.

Wimbo

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;4469610 said:
Works extremely well. I'm quite pleased with it.

The chest strap isn't uncomfortable at all and doesn't restrict anything in a work. In fact after a few minutes you'll hardly even notice that it's there.

Now the size of the watch...yeah it might look a bit big on a womans wrist, particularly if she's tiny, but it's not huge or anything. I'd say it's an average sized watch for a man.

Definately worth the money though.

the watch doesn't have to be on your wrist when using the chest strap - just in close proximity. I used to strap mine to the handlebars of my bike.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
CowboyFan74;4468912 said:
The Bootcamp I joined was run by an Ex Army drill sergeant who also trained the Cowboys cheerleaders (Or still does not sure.) Plus I totally changed my diet..

A lot of water weight and bloating I guess from severe depression...

Good job. What a way to lose 75 lbs, eh?

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Still grinding alone nicely on the workouts. I've gotten better and better with each one and I've even started to add a little bit of running in with my workouts during the week. I'm feeling pretty good thus far.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I'm going to have a couple hours of football practice today. This is the off day of the workout program but I'm getting in some fun exercise today to go with everything else.

Things are going well. I weigh and measure again on Tuesday so we'll se whats happened in the last 30 days.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;4478680 said:
I'm going to have a couple hours of football practice today. This is the off day of the workout program but I'm getting in some fun exercise today to go with everything else.

Things are going well. I weigh and measure again on Tuesday so we'll se whats happened in the last 30 days.

...looking forward to the report.

Kristi

I Rue Everything
Reaction score
Good luck on the weigh in. I weigh in on Mondays. First week of weighing in after the gym. Be curious as to the results as the weeks go by and we design a program once all the equipment shows up at the accessible gym. Like the stuff we have so far.

I went with the Polar FT40 watch. Loving it so far. I haven't used it in the gym yet. Trainer set it up Friday just before she had to leave for the day. We'll see how many calories I burn in tomorrow's workout before my weigh in.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Kristi;4478883 said:
Good luck on the weigh in. I weigh in on Mondays. First week of weighing in after the gym. Be curious as to the results as the weeks go by and we design a program once all the equipment shows up at the accessible gym. Like the stuff we have so far.

I went with the Polar FT40 watch. Loving it so far. I haven't used it in the gym yet. Trainer set it up Friday just before she had to leave for the day. We'll see how many calories I burn in tomorrow's workout before my weigh in.

Good deal. Good luck with the weigh in and the workouts!

Last two days of month 1 are today and tomorrow for me. I'm really looking forward to hitting these final two workouts really hard because starting Wednesday I move onto the next circuit of them so the work out load is going to be increased. I'm really looking forward to it.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This thread has got me motivated, so, rather than do the same workout that I normally do, I just ordered the P90 workout. I like that muscle confusion idea.

I took that test to see if I should get the X version and said to myself, "hell no"!

:D

I want to start April 1st. Fools Day.

( i hate you braveheartfan...stupid cowboy fan)

;)

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
5Stars;4480737 said:
This thread has got me motivated, so, rather than do the same workout that I normally do, I just ordered the P90 workout. I like that muscle confusion idea.

I took that test to see if I should get the X version and said to myself, "hell no"!

:D

I want to start April 1st. Fools Day.

( i hate you braveheartfan...stupid cowboy fan)

;)

lmao!!!!

Good luck man. You'll enjoy it and you'll definately benefit from putting the ego aside and doing this one first and working your way up to doing P90x.

I'll weigh in first thing in the morning and get some measurements. So I'll be updating that information in the morning.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I got a stomach virus that made me not want to eat anything so I just ate foods that I could stand and it was all junk food.

I lost a lot of strength too in just missing 8 workouts.

I'm back on the ball though and I hope to be down 10 LBs by early May.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
CATCH17;4481718 said:
I got a stomach virus that made me not want to eat anything so I just ate foods that I could stand and it was all junk food.

I lost a lot of strength too in just missing 8 workouts.

I'm back on the ball though and I hope to be down 10 LBs by early May.

I've been out of it for 12 days. I lost 12 lbs in 12 days, and I'm just now feeling a bit better. But I've lost a lot too. It'll come right back though if you hit it hard, so long as you don't stay out too long.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Alright I hit the scale this morning. I gotta tell you I got on there just dying to see 10 or more pounds. Just knew that it was going to be a really good double digit number.

7 lbs...

WTH? That was my first thought. I'm looking at myself and I'm saying I know I can tell a pretty good difference already. How can this be?

So initially I was very discouraged cause I thought I was maybe fooling myself with the eye test. Seeing results that weren't really there, ya know? I mean 7 pounds? How can there be any real difference in seven pounds.

Thankfully the measurements confirmed that I wasn't just seeing things. I really have made noticable difference.

I lost 2" in my chest, 2" in my waist, 2.5" in my hips, 1.5" in my left thigh and 1" in my right (Seems so weird that I lost more in one leg than the other, lol).

And for my biceps....i actually gained 1.25" in each!

After seeing the measurements confirming what I could see I was PUMPED!!!!! I'm very pleased thus far.

So I'm tweaking my diet a bit for this next month, and I'm starting the second phase of the workouts, the longer and harder ones, with tonight so I'm really pumped about the workouts going forward.

I know those numbers might not seem like a lot to most folks but to me losing 2 inches almost everywhere is HUGE and then to gain a little in my arms...nice. I'm feeling really good.

Wimbo

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;4483456 said:
Alright I hit the scale this morning. I gotta tell you I got on there just dying to see 10 or more pounds. Just knew that it was going to be a really good double digit number.

7 lbs...

WTH? That was my first thought. I'm looking at myself and I'm saying I know I can tell a pretty good difference already. How can this be?

So initially I was very discouraged cause I thought I was maybe fooling myself with the eye test. Seeing results that weren't really there, ya know? I mean 7 pounds? How can there be any real difference in seven pounds.

Thankfully the measurements confirmed that I wasn't just seeing things. I really have made noticable difference.

I lost 2" in my chest, 2" in my waist, 2.5" in my hips, 1.5" in my left thigh and 1" in my right (Seems so weird that I lost more in one leg than the other, lol).

And for my biceps....i actually gained 1.25" in each!

After seeing the measurements confirming what I could see I was PUMPED!!!!! I'm very pleased thus far.

So I'm tweaking my diet a bit for this next month, and I'm starting the second phase of the workouts, the longer and harder ones, with tonight so I'm really pumped about the workouts going forward.

I know those numbers might not seem like a lot to most folks but to me losing 2 inches almost everywhere is HUGE and then to gain a little in my arms...nice. I'm feeling really good.

Those are great results. Remember, you are adding muscle while losing fat. Muscle is more dense than fat, so it will contribute more per cubic inch to your weight than fat will. Don't let the scale discourage you... it really is not as important as lowering your body fat % and improving your cardiovascular capacity.

Kristi

I Rue Everything
Reaction score
That's 7 lb in a month, right? That's good. It's good to lose 1-2 lb a week. If you do it that way, the chances of it staying off are better.

I was a little discouraged this week as I wanted to hit that 25 lb lost mark and I was at 24.6. I would have hit had I worn my other tennis shoes. I don't take them off when I weigh, but my new ones are heavier and I had them on. Hopefully, I hit it next week and I'll do more measurements then too. Once a month is enough on those.

And as Wimbo said muscle weighs more than fat so if you are bulking up, it may not show up in pounds lost, but show up in your measurements as you begin to tone up.

Congrats on the 7 lb loss. A loss is a loss, and that's to be celebrated!!

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Yeah that was in a month and I'm pretty pumped about it. Well I'm more pumped about the measurements then the actual pounds but that's because those confirm the eye test which is the be all end all to me.

Last night I started Sculpt 3-4, the next level up in the P90 workout and I was THRILLED with the extra work in it and the raised intensity of some of the moves. I'm really going to enjoy this workout over the next few weeks. Build up that strength more and more and do some shedding so I can hit the X next.

Great workout. Looking forward to Ab Ripper 200 tonight.