Packers QB Jordan Love has agreed to a 4-year extension worth $220M

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Dak will probably ask for 57 million. Theres no way he thinks he can ask for 60 million. I still dont want him
Two thing I would say:
1. Dak can certainly ask for $60 million. He could ask for $75 million, doesn't mean he'll get it, or expect to get it. Standard negotiating technique to ask for more than you;ll take. Did it myself a couple of times. And given Jerry's history of horrible contracts, who knows? He might give Dak $61 million just to show the league he's "the man". (Lol)
2. I don't want him either. Only 1 quarterback has been the starter for 8 years or more and made the SB, Ken Anderson with the Bengals years ago. And he lost that SB anyway. I have near zero faith Dak can make history and win the SB at this point. Only thing that keeps it from zero is that Dallas, for whatever reason, has made NFL history before, like the first team to have the NFL rushing champion and win the SB, etc. Faint hope, but zero is an absolute, and I don't usually deal in absolutes...

Brax

Reaction score
Your opinion is shared by many. Pro athletes' compensation is tiered according to how much someone wants to pay them. It is rare when an NFL owner wants to pay a non-quarterback quarterback money, even when the non-quarterback may have established the performance numbers and probable future potential to support their compensation.

Economics.
The signings of the last 10 years or so say different

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Only 1 quarterback has been the starter for 8 years or more and made the SB, Ken Anderson with the Bengals years ago. And he lost that SB anyway.
I feel for Anderson. He was a pretty good quarterback.

They faced off against that first Bill Walsh/Joe Montana-led Super Bowl team during the regular season too. Cincinnati played better overall in the championship game but Anderson's two picks cost the Bengals ten points. Even so, Cris Collinsworth and Archie Griffin's two fumbles handed San Francisco ten points as well.

Luck sometimes helps win championships too. The 49ers had their share that season.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Two thing I would say:
1. Dak can certainly ask for $60 million. He could ask for $75 million, doesn't mean he'll get it, or expect to get it. Standard negotiating technique to ask for more than you;ll take. Did it myself a couple of times. And given Jerry's history of horrible contracts, who knows? He might give Dak $61 million just to show the league he's "the man". (Lol)
2. I don't want him either. Only 1 quarterback has been the starter for 8 years or more and made the SB, Ken Anderson with the Bengals years ago. And he lost that SB anyway. I have near zero faith Dak can make history and win the SB at this point. Only thing that keeps it from zero is that Dallas, for whatever reason, has made NFL history before, like the first team to have the NFL rushing champion and win the SB, etc. Faint hope, but zero is an absolute, and I don't usually deal in absolutes...
Guys not winning a ring after spending 8 years with a team is the new “you can’t win with a qb taking 20 percent of the cap.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I ran into a GB friend of mine last night. I felt curb stomped after that conversation. He begged for the Cowboys to sign Dak.
These takes are always odd to me…..because fans always want you to sign quarterbacks unless it’s Mahomes. Nobody says OMG please don’t sign Tua or Lawrence we will be doomed lol. I sure as hell didn’t feel a way about Pack signing Love.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
It's not moronic. Listen to yourself.

If Dak can't win with teams Jerry has built, that's not going to change in the future. If that doesn't change you don't commit 4 to 5 more years to Prescott. That would be moronic.
wait. what? what teams did jerry build? jerry hasn't built a winning team in 28 plus years or are you faulting pre-Dak era on Dak...then again some folks are really good at spinning

and when Dak leaves....who are you going to blame? Dak, will there be a post Dak effect on cowboys for the next 10 years? will that be a spin?

sunalsorises

Reaction score
In my opinion the Packers did this for 2 reasons:

1. That's $55 million a year average, we already have others making that, Dak likely will get more than that, be it with Dallas or the Rams or whoever, so the Packers are locking Love in for what will be below market value in a year or two.
2. Yes, he only played 6 games, but the Packers are banking (pun intended) on what they saw in the Dallas win to be how Love will play from now on, in other words they've "hitching they wagon to a star" and hope like heck he's the next Brady or Mahomes.

Just my view, who knows what teams really think....
It was the right move for Green Bay. They are taking a chance but it’s a calculated one. They are not much worse off if it fails than they would be if they just let him walk. I suspect they will draft another QB with a high pick before that contract runs out.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
But look how stupid this plan is….Lance doesn’t have a deal either lol. His plan is for a quarterback who 49ers gave up on after trading multiple first rounders for just to snag a 4th rounder for. A guy who couldn’t perform in the most qb friendly offense in the league……and he’s not under contract. This doesn’t sound stupid to you?

At least with Lance, one could argue that Lance can get a 2-3 year low end deal as he hasn't proven anything. It'd probably be a prove it type deal.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
At least with Lance, one could argue that Lance can get a 2-3 year low end deal as he hasn't proven anything. It'd probably be a prove it type deal.
What’s low end? Because he doesn’t even need to sign low end. If he’s gonna be the starter that inflates his numbers whether he plays a down or not. Dak numbers? No. But uncomfortable numbers for sure. I can see a cheap one year deal….but then we are back to where we starters. No Qb under contract.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
All I know is he kicked our arses! Who are his elite receivers? I forgot.
They aren’t elite…Watson was suppose to be that guy but he got hurt.

But make no mistake they are deep at receiver. People just don’t know who they are because they don’t have the Cowboys press behind them. They have 5 receivers who are better than anyone on Dallas not named Lamb.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
What’s low end? Because he doesn’t even need to sign low end. If he’s gonna be the starter that inflates his numbers whether he plays a down or not. Dak numbers? No. But uncomfortable numbers for sure. I can see a cheap one year deal….but then we are back to where we starters. No Qb under contract.

I mean, I could see a deal of about $20-25 mil per year for two or three years (not sure about the guarantees). That'd be a deal that's reasonable for a QB who's projected to be the starter. That said, they may draft a QB too and have the rookie and Lance compete to earn the starting job in 2025. Lance shouldn't break the bank as he's proven nothing yet. There are a lot of questions, and I'm excited to see what he does in TC and the preseason.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I mean, I could see a deal of about $20-25 mil per year for two or three years (not sure about the guarantees). That'd be a deal that's reasonable for a QB who's projected to be the starter. That said, they may draft a QB too and have the rookie and Lance compete to earn the starting job in 2025. Lance shouldn't break the bank as he's proven nothing yet. There are a lot of questions, and I'm excited to see what he does in TC and the preseason.
What Lance has going for him is he was a 2nd or 3rd overall pick. He’s not even 25 yet. The only reason he has no leverage now is because Dak is here. Soon as he leaves that boosts his value up. I honestly don’t see a multi year deal. It’s so hard to say though because if he doesn’t have a good camp this might be Drew Henson all over again.