Parsons squatting 425lbs with ease is unreal

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I don’t know, when I was younger I could rep 405 8-10 times but anything around 500 was a struggle. I wouldn’t have attempted anything near 600.

I guess it depends on the training program though, I never did low rep training to try and hit 1 rep PRs.
I'm assuming that he can do 425 10 times, based on how easy those reps moved. Given the fact that he is....a professional athlete...I think his reps translates a little better to a higher 1RM than you or I lol

GMO415

Reaction score
I agree, just imo , lifting heavy weights is stupid, puts too much pressure on tendons, joints muscles etc.
It is way better to do small weight for many reps and do sets of reps.

Big weights are to show off and can damage things like hamstrings? back, certain muscles etc.
Aikman ruined his career squatting.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I agree, just imo , lifting heavy weights is stupid, puts too much pressure on tendons, joints muscles etc.
I agree there is a limit to what you should attempt. The human body was only designed for so much.

However, when I was lifting multiple times per week in high school & thru mid 20's we did like to do a max out session every week or so. When you are doing sets comfortably at a weight, it's pretty easy to estimate what is a good target range for you to max. Always seemed beneficial to me not only from a physical but also mental standpoint. For athletes that need to move & be pliable its probably not a good idea though.

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
In this year's SB during the 4th quarter of blowing out the Chiefs I'd like to see Parsons on a jet sweep. 68-yard TD for sure :thumbup:

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I agree there is a limit to what you should attempt. The human body was only designed for so much.

However, when I was lifting multiple times per week in high school & thru mid 20's we did like to do a max out session every week or so. When you are doing sets comfortably at a weight, it's pretty easy to estimate what is a good target range for you to max. Always seemed beneficial to me not only from a physical but also mental standpoint. For athletes that need to move & be pliable its probably not a good idea though.
This winter I did 2/3-rep max on bench, squat and deads on different days every week, and got really heavy. I felt really strong, but by the time spring rolled around I couldn't swing a golf club and when I hooped I couldn't get off the floor lol.

Lifting heavy feels great and I don't really buy the strain on your joints if you're doing it right, but yea, it's not good for being explosive or flexible.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
This winter I did 2/3-rep max on bench, squat and deads on different days every week, and got really heavy. I felt really strong, but by the time spring rolled around I couldn't swing a golf club and when I hooped I couldn't get off the floor lol.

Lifting heavy feels great and I don't really buy the strain on your joints if you're doing it right, but yea, it's not good for being explosive or flexible.
Oddly enough, at that period of my life I was at a gym with indoor basketball court. So, on lighter lift days I would play basketball afterward. On heavier days, I found that just doing double handed overhead throws of the basketball at the backboard or wall was an excellent way to stretch those muscles back out as I cooled down.

I mean it was amazing how much it helped and prevented stiffness \ soreness. Not sure your age but you might try it out.

Since you mentioned golf, that is the only sport I play nowadays. Hope you get that worked out & hit them long & straight.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Oddly enough, at that period of my life I was at a gym with indoor basketball court. So, on lighter lift days I would play basketball afterward. On heavier days, I found that just doing double handed overhead throws of the basketball at the backboard or wall was an excellent way to stretch those muscles back out as I cooled down.

I mean it was amazing how much it helped and prevented stiffness \ soreness. Not sure your age but you might try it out.

Since you mentioned golf, that is the only sport I play nowadays. Hope you get that worked out & hit them long & straight.
I basically stop lifting anything heavy during golf season so I get the flexibility back fairly quickly.

I hit them pretty long and straight, only problem is that they go straight into the woods

HungryLion

Reaction score
Parsons isn’t going to be training for raw power anyway.

The man’s speed snd quickness should be all the evidence you need that he is more worried about training for explosiveness anyway. Going super heavy on squat isn’t the way to accomplish that.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I lifted, at Fort Knox, Ky, with a 160 pound lifter, who would squat 600 in practice routines.
I’ve been training for over 35 years, professional athletes at times. Size means nothing my cowboy brother I totally agree.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Parsons is a freak athlete and his performance on the field speaks volumes for his strength and endurance. If you spend enough time around gyms that have facilities to accommodate serious strength training, a 425 pound squat is called bench press.

Zman5

Reaction score
Never accuse this kid of not taking care of business during the off-season............once his mental game catches up with his physical talent, no one can stop him.

That's not hard. I could do that in my sleep.

Then I'll wake up.

TheFinisher

Reaction score
I'm assuming that he can do 425 10 times, based on how easy those reps moved. Given the fact that he is....a professional athlete...I think his reps translates a little better to a higher 1RM than you or I lol
I’m just saying it’s hard to say he can do 600 based on 425 for 3, whether he moved it easy or not.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
considering hes a pro athlete... not that big a deal. A 53 year old buddy could squat that probably 35 times.

diamonddelts

Reaction score
Never accuse this kid of not taking care of business during the off-season............once his mental game catches up with his physical talent, no one can stop him.

Impressive. But that is a box squat, not a full squat.