Pat Robertson speaks out for marijuana legalization

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
Doomsday101;4444892 said:
Only people being incarcerated for Marijuana is those who have been charged with large quantities for sell. No one is going to jail for small amounts.

In the meantime Jails are not self sufficient so it is costing us, the avg of housing inmates in prison by 2001 figures was $22,650 a year per inmate.

We are not making money

There is money in it. Where do you think the money goes? Nowadays, the government is contracting out prisons and jails to corporations. More and more of this is happening. We're a growing prison planet, not to sound cliche'. But those are the facts. And profiting off of prisons isn't old business either.

Those of you who think otherwise might want to take a deeper look.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;4445200 said:
problem with that argument is that it could be used for everything such as it not being fair that one gets a deduction for church givings as others who are not religious end up paying more tax, etc

at the end of the day, legalizing might not be the answer but throwing you in the clink for having some probably isn't either

Considering the work the churches do even for those who are none believers it would be cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Your right churches get deductions they also are the main providers for feeding the hungry and giving shelter to the homeless.

Right now no one is going to jail for a small amount of weed it is no more than a fine that is handed down. Only people I see going to Jail for weed is those being caught with large quantity with the intent to sell. Hell most of the time police look the other way in this country on minor possession. We have head shops you can freely walk into an buy merchandise to smoke weed from papers to pipes to bongs. So it is not as if the law is so strict on minor use as it is now

Doomsday101

Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4445202 said:
There is money in it. Where do you think the money goes? Nowadays, the government is contracting out prisons and jails to corporations. More and more of this is happening. We're a growing prison planet, not to sound cliche'. But those are the facts. And profiting off of prisons isn't old business either.

Those of you who think otherwise might want to take a deeper look.

There are some not many and you still have to pay for it. When you say Government that is you and me paying money to house or money to give to a private jail. Government is not making a profit the government is fricken broke or maybe you missed the news lately. Government is not making a profit off drugs.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Dallas;4444944 said:
One other thing before I go.

I hate that people say pot is a gateway drug. A gateway drug to harder drugs. I would like to say that is a crock of bolgna. Not 1 time when I smoked did I ever say..

"Gosh, I wish I had a kilo right now."

no it was always..

"Let's watch Fast Times again...hahah" or "STOP BOGARTIN the Doritos, Steph!" "Pass me the rest of that pudding pack."
It is called a gateway drug because people convince themselves it is harmless and they do harder and harder substances looking for the high. No one starts with meth. No one starts with moonshine.

My objection is and always has been to the importance placed on this drug, not the drug itself. If you were to ask me which is less lethal alcohol or weed, I would say weed.

However as I said in an earlier post getting high for the sake of getting high is just stupid to me. We are an over medicated society and I mean legally and illegally.

People are so responsible with this harmless drug that they use it around children and even give it to their children. I've got a cousin I could introduce people to who had it since he was around 5. Given to him by his parents. I'm not shocked that he has never amounted to anything. Not shocked at all.

I asked my Dad one time why he became a drug smuggler. The only drug he ever smuggled was pot. His reply resonates with me to this day, "It's a fools drug, and fools use it, but for the money they were paying me I was not going to turn my hand upside down."

I don't respect the importance placed on the drug. Like I keep saying, it is not a miracle. There's a reason it is called dope.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Hostile;4445231 said:
It is called a gateway drug because people convince themselves it is harmless and they do harder and harder substances looking for the high. No one starts with meth. No one starts with moonshine.

My objection is and always has been to the importance placed on this drug, not the drug itself. If you were to ask me which is less lethal alcohol or weed, I would say weed.

However as I said in an earlier post getting high for the sake of getting high is just stupid to me. We are an over medicated society and I mean legally and illegally.

People are so responsible with this harmless drug that they use it around children and even give it to their children. I've got a cousin I could introduce people to who had it since he was around 5. Given to him by his parents. I'm not shocked that he has never amounted to anything. Not shocked at all.

I asked my Dad one time why he became a drug smuggler. The only drug he ever smuggled was pot. His reply resonates with me to this day, "It's a fools drug, and fools use it, but for the money they were paying me I was not going to turn my hand upside down."

I don't respect the importance placed on the drug. Like I keep saying, it is not a miracle. There's a reason it is called dope.

Im not convinced its harmless, but I also certain it isn't worse than alcohol. I also never felt a single urge to do harder drugs when I did smoke it, nor do my friends who do still smoke.

I will never understand this nations hypocrisy with alocohol and pot. Its asinine.

I also would never give pot to my child nor alcohol to my child. I don't think that using a bad parent to justify your debate is fair, because there are millions of professional parents who drink/smoke everyday who don't have problems with alcohol or pot. It's just common sense in the end. Why would someone give a child a shot of vodka? They shouldn't, but I am not saying alcohol should be ilegal because some schmoe makes bad decisions as a parent.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Doomsday101;4445115 said:
That is fine letting people do what they want but they have to take the responsibility, but so often these same people become a burden on society and then you have people making excuses for them "Well they have a problem and they need our help" The problem was their choice.

That is cause society has let people use those excuses as a crutch and an out. We tell people it isnt their fault it is the drugs, alcohol, their parents, spouse etc, instead of holding the person responsible for their actions.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Doomsday101;4445197 said:
and they pay for their own help when they lose control? Sure have dominion over y Iour own body that is great but suffer the consequences of your own action do not expect others to pay for it and if your actions end up taking a life like drunk drivers do then you should suffer big time for your actions.

Agree 100%

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
Doomsday101;4445215 said:
There are some not many and you still have to pay for it. When you say Government that is you and me paying money to house or money to give to a private jail. Government is not making a profit the government is fricken broke or maybe you missed the news lately. Government is not making a profit off drugs.

But the politicians who write the legislation to put non-violent drug offenders in prison. A lot of arrests are marijuana arrests. It's striking how many people are arrested for marijuana. On top of that the lobbyists for the private jails/prisons have their pockets open for the politicians.

http://www.texasprisonbidness.org/

I see what you're saying, which is why the war on drugs is a failure. But in some rather corrupt aspects they are making profit from prisons.

Meanwhile, in Texas at least, the governor slashes spending for schools as a record number of prisons go up.

Talk about priorities.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Doomsday101;4444655 said:
I Don’t disagree with you. What I will say is many who are touting the medical use of weed would not actually qualify for using it no more than a person taking prescription drugs with no prescription. Right now in the state of Texas having less than an oz is nothing more than a fine you are not going to do time for an oz.

I think when the day it becomes legal many will get outraged by the tax the state and federal government will put on it so I still see a black market that many will turn to.

And kids we know they smoke and drink now so legal or not legal will not change it. Honest dialog of the pit falls can help. Key word though is honest.
When did that start? Out here he have medical cards but no dispensaries

Teren_Kanan

Reaction score
Doomsday101;4445197 said:
and they pay for their own help when they lose control? Sure have dominion over your own body that is great but suffer the consequences of your own action do not expect others to pay for it and if your actions end up taking a life like drunk drivers do then you should suffer big time for your actions.

Sure, so long as you agree the same should be applied to people who are overweight or out of shape. McDonald's is worse for you than Marijuana. Eating at McDonald's once a day is drastically worse for you than smoking 5 blunts a day.

If people who indulge in the things you quoted have to be responsible to pay for their own help when they lose control, then would you agree that people who lose control of their health via food and lack of exercise also have to?

As for Marijuana. I smoke it. I enjoy it more than beer, it's (incredibly so) cheaper, and better for me. I've also done nearly all other drugs a few times here and there. It's all about the person. As others have stated, you can become addicted to anything and ruin your life because of it.

Legal, or illegal, one of the biggest problems with drugs in general is how much misinformation is out there. Some of the stuff people say about Marijuana, Extasy, LSD, or various other drugs are just so mind boggling wrong but so socially accepted as fact. It all comes down to education, ours (as a country) is very poor when it comes to drugs (and tons of other things).

So many of the problems when it comes to drugs (and in our society in general) come down to education (Or lack there of).

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Dallas;4445276 said:
Im not convinced its harmless, but I also certain it isn't worse than alcohol. I also never felt a single urge to do harder drugs when I did smoke it, nor do my friends who do still smoke.

I will never understand this nations hypocrisy with alocohol and pot. Its asinine.

I also would never give pot to my child nor alcohol to my child. I don't think that using a bad parent to justify your debate is fair, because there are millions of professional parents who drink/smoke everyday who don't have problems with alcohol or pot. It's just common sense in the end. Why would someone give a child a shot of vodka? They shouldn't, but I am not saying alcohol should be ilegal because some schmoe makes bad decisions as a parent.
Wasn't my intention, and I will do what I should have done and drop out of this discussion.

Passepartout

Reaction score
Hostile;4446032 said:
Wasn't my intention, and I will do what I should have done and drop out of this discussion.

No harm nor foul. You are a cool guy and a great Administrator. You didn't offend me at all.

Anyway Robertson is such a wacko. He really is!:eek:

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
strength of character...

with or without weed...with or without Alcohol...with or without just about everything

prevails...

I know stoners and their are some good and some bad according to societies measuring device

same with puritans I know some of them good and bad

the list goes on

Strength of character...some must walk through the fires before they achieve it others do not...but it is the most prevalent trait of those whom we call good and the trait most lacking in those we call bad.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The mods can delete this post if they deem it so...but this whole post reminds me of this, a song from "Easy Rider"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XqyGoE2Q4Y

You know I've smoked a lot of grass
O' Lord, I've popped a lot of pills
But I never touched nothin'
That my spirit could kill
You know, I've seen a lot of people walkin' 'round
With tombstones in their eyes
But the pusher don't care
Ah, if you live or if you die

********, The Pusher
********, I say The Pusher
I said ********, ******** The Pusher man

You know the dealer, the dealer is a man
With the love grass in his hand
Oh but the pusher is a monster
Good God, he's not a natural man
The dealer for a nickel
Lord, will sell you lots of sweet dreams
Ah, but the pusher ruin your body
Lord, he'll leave your, he'll leave your mind to scream

********, The Pusher
********, ******** the Pusher
I said ********, God, ******** The Pusher man

Well, now if I were the president of this land
You know, I'd declare total war on The Pusher man
I'd cut him if he stands, and I'd shoot him if he'd run
Yes I'd kill him with my Bible and my razor and my gun

******** The Pusher
Gad damn The Pusher
I said ********, ******** The Pusher man

jimmy40

Reaction score
Hostile;4445231 said:
has more to do with the fact that your already doing one illegal drug so what's the big deal with trying another.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Why is our society all up in arms about someone smoking a joint?

The real epidemic in this country is child molestation.

Parents are molesting their own children, older siblings are molesting younger ones, relatives are molesting children, strangers are abducting and molesting other peoples children, teachers are molesting children, coaches are molesting children, even priests are molesting children.

That is the real scourge on our society, .. but no, we have to make sure nobody is getting high.

:rolleyes:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
WV Cowboy;4448222 said:
Why is our society all up in arms about someone smoking a joint?

The real epidemic in this country is child molestation.

Parents are molesting their own children, older siblings are molesting younger ones, relatives are molesting children, strangers are abducting and molesting other peoples children, teachers are molesting children, coaches are molesting children, even priests are molesting children.

That is the real scourge on our society, .. but no, we have to make sure nobody is getting high.

:rolleyes:

And that is already against the law. Not sure what that has to do one way or the other with this topic.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Teren_Kanan;4446012 said:
Sure, so long as you agree the same should be applied to people who are overweight or out of shape. McDonald's is worse for you than Marijuana. Eating at McDonald's once a day is drastically worse for you than smoking 5 blunts a day.

If people who indulge in the things you quoted have to be responsible to pay for their own help when they lose control, then would you agree that people who lose control of their health via food and lack of exercise also have to?

As for Marijuana. I smoke it. I enjoy it more than beer, it's (incredibly so) cheaper, and better for me. I've also done nearly all other drugs a few times here and there. It's all about the person. As others have stated, you can become addicted to anything and ruin your life because of it.

Legal, or illegal, one of the biggest problems with drugs in general is how much misinformation is out there. Some of the stuff people say about Marijuana, Extasy, LSD, or various other drugs are just so mind boggling wrong but so socially accepted as fact. It all comes down to education, ours (as a country) is very poor when it comes to drugs (and tons of other things).

So many of the problems when it comes to drugs (and in our society in general) come down to education (Or lack there of).

When I was 20 I would sing these same tunes about weed and other drugs. Nothing you are going to tell me I don't know or have not said myself.

If they make it legal great all I have said is don't act like this comes with no consequences like most things it does and when it does it falls to others to bail you out.

Funny so many of the younger people act like they invented weed you didn’t many of us were smoking long before

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Doomsday101;4444892 said:
Only people being incarcerated for Marijuana is those who have been charged with large quantities for sell. No one is going to jail for small amounts.

In the meantime Jails are not self sufficient so it is costing us, the avg of housing inmates in prison by 2001 figures was $22,650 a year per inmate.

We are not making money

It's not making the people any money but it's making the privatized prison systems lots of money.

And as we know, large amounts of money somehow find their way into decisive matters.