Paxton Lynch Plays Today at 11 am

chuch

Reaction score
Yes but Leaf had a ten cent brain. When the colts asked both Leaf and Manning what they would do after they were drafted, Manning replied " Get the playbook so I can learn this offense." Leaf replied "Get a couple of my friends and go to Hawaii." That is all you need to know about Leaf.
What would be a dream would be to trade back and get some extra draft pick; maybe 2017 1st (Texans maybe). Keep that 2017 1st but some of the extra picks to move back at the end of the 1st to grab Wentz. Hopefully that 2017 is a high draft pick so we can draft Fourante, RB from LSU. That would be a dream scenario.

That's why I included the remark about trajectory.

And that evaluation happened during interviews that's why all of what we do is just conjecture in any event.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Remember when everyone overreacted to Aaron Rodgers' poor performance in his final bowl game? Good times.

Or Derek Carr.

Hard to have a good performance when your receivers can't catch (and you're O-Line can't block).

YR

QT

Reaction score
Does anyone know if Paxton or Jared have that "Moxie"? The skill that cannot be teached. The skill that was lacking this year by Cowboys' QBs. Romo has it... Weedon and Cassell lacked it. Thus, they played like robots...

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Remember when everyone overreacted to Aaron Rodgers' poor performance in his final bowl game? Good times.

Rodgers was quite an average QB in college. With your comparison, you'd have to expect Lynch to come in and completely change his game. Rodgers throwing mechanics in college are night and day to how he is now in the NFL. The same with Tom Brady.

I'm not focusing on the exceptions here when scouting Lynch. Potential? Sure, what pick in the first three rounds isn't based on potential? But you draft raw players in the top 5.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
I have to believe JJ will get a vet backup regardless of whether they draft a QB. That would mean having 3 QB's on the 53, but that's the price you have to pay. No way do I think they would draft a player and use him as the primary backup.

I sure hope not. The hopes have to be Romo is mostly healthy and we're making a playoff run. In no scenario would I want to throw Lynch or Goff into a game(s) in the middle of a playoff push and expect them to win for us immediately. To balance next years window with the next 5 years window, they have to find next years b/u in FA regardless of if they draft a QB.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
I sure hope not. The hopes have to be Romo is mostly healthy and we're making a playoff run. In no scenario would I want to throw Lynch or Goff into a game(s) in the middle of a playoff push and expect them to win for us immediately. To balance next years window with the next 5 years window, they have to find next years b/u in FA regardless of if they draft a QB.

:hammer:

koolaid

Drink Me
Reaction score
This was the 3rd memphis game I watched this year and I never felt like I was watching a QB who I would target in the 1st round of the NFL draft

chuch

Reaction score

To give some context to that game. Cal was 10-1 that year and should have been playing in the Rose Bowl but didn't beat their previous opponent significantly enough for judges to warrant sending the team to the Rose Bowl (a huge disappointment for college kids as you can imagine).

Cal was up after the first quarter. before having an epic second and third-quarter collapse. Rodgers int was on a deflected pass and his stat line was 24/42 for 247 yeards, 1 TD, 1 Int. His performance was better than 17/38 for 108 and 1 int.

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/aaron-rodgers-vs-texas-tech-2004-2013/

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If it were me making the choice, I would take Jared Goff over Paxton Lynch. Just a personal preference.

If it were today I would do the same without question. I want to see Lynch go through the entire draft process and the combine and workouts and maybe I would change my mind. But he would have to be very good to leap frog Goff at this point. Will he be Rothlisberger or Flacco or Dan McGwire. Not sure.

IAmLegend

Reaction score
To give some context to that game. Cal was 10-1 that year and should have been playing in the Rose Bowl but didn't beat their previous opponent significantly enough for judges to warrant sending the team to the Rose Bowl (a huge disappointment for college kids as you can imagine).

Cal was up after the first quarter. before having an epic second and third-quarter collapse. Rodgers int was on a deflected pass and his stat line was 24/42 for 247 yeards, 1 TD, 1 Int. His performance was better than 17/38 for 108 and 1 int.

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/aaron-rodgers-vs-texas-tech-2004-2013/

If we're getting into specifics, Lynch's INT was also on a deflection and there were at least 5 drops that I counted by Memphis receivers, which would've put him at 22/38 and closer to 150 yards. I'd venture to say Rodgers likely had better talent around him as well, as Memphis severely lacks in that department. But all this is really irrelevant, as my point was just that to judge a QB on one poor game is ridiculous, especially when there are 36 other games on tape to evaluate him on.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Does anyone know if Paxton or Jared have that "Moxie"? The skill that cannot be teached. The skill that was lacking this year by Cowboys' QBs. Romo has it... Weedon and Cassell lacked it. Thus, they played like robots...

I can see it Goff.he has too much confidence in his accuracy sometimes.some of those miraculous throws probably wont work in the nfl.

RS12

Reaction score

Weeden just said in an interview he was instructed to constantly check down here.

Macnalty

Reaction score
I remember Dontari Poe being talked up like that before the draft and he had a great combine and he turned out to be a perennial All Pro.

Nice citation, really liked him and his numbers were off the charts for the combine.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
And that would be dumb. They should go out and get a legitimate b/u QB in FA and if drafted, Lynch/Goff should be the number 3 QB. That would give the team the best shot to win now and maximize the future of the franchise. Either one should not see the field for the 1st year unless it's an emergency.

That was the plan when Big Ben was drafted. Sit behind Maddox, Batch the veteran back up and Ben riding the bench. Week 2 Maddox got injured and they decided to play Ben who reeled of like 11 wins in a row.

sureletsrace

Official CZ Homer
Reaction score
That was the plan when Big Ben was drafted. Sit behind Maddox, Batch the veteran back up and Ben riding the bench. Week 2 Maddox got injured and they decided to play Ben who reeled of like 11 wins in a row.

Good comparison. This is what I want the Cowboys to do. When Green Bay did it with Favre and Rodgers, they had the benefit of Favre never missing games, so they didn't need to worry about having a vet backup.

Green Bay and Pittsburgh both benefitted greatly from letting Rodgers and Roethlisberger sit and learn.

Had those teams played them as rookies and threw them into the fire, I have zero doubt in my mind that they wouldn't be anywhere near as good as they've been.

I think that giving a QB time to sit and learn is incredibly important.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
Lynch is 28/4 70% completion on the year with actual trash for talent.