QB Stats Through Two Years

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Of course. They are TDs scored by the QB.
They are not the same thing. You can’t just add rushing touchdowns to passing touchdowns and then compare it to other QBs. Rushing touchdowns are fungible; passing touchdowns are not.
The Cowboys are last in the league in dropbacks over the last two seasons. There’s no way to turn Dak Prescott into a prolific QB, despite the laughable tricks in the OP.

Dylan88Wilson

Reaction score
It's misleading, especially since there's no context to any of the numbers. You're putting Dak in company that he, quite simply, doesn't belong in by picking and choosing stats.

You also left off guys, like Andrew Luck, who would be #2 on that list, and Mike Vick, who would be ahead of Tom Brady.
There isn’t a maximum capacity to the list. If you feel like doing the research, feel free to add whomever you’d like. Makes no difference to me other than further showing how well Dak compares to other great QBs.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
I guess if I had a QB formula, I might give rushing TDs less weight. I would never discount it entirely, or even close.
Just me.

Part of the reason is because everything the offense does is attributed to the qb. When a back the runs the ball for a wide open td, the qb called that. He could have just as easily done it himself if he wanted. Cam could have 15 rushing tds every year if he really wanted.

But a passing td is something that’s identifiably related to the qb’s talent, and not constructed by what formation the defense is in or who he has in the backfield with him. Tougher defenses make it harder to throw tds, yes, but that’s why Rodgers and Roethlissberger and Brady creep ahead of the pack in that stat. Because they’re beating defenses at a more consistent rate. Because Russell Wilson is leeching rushing tds from his backs means he’s better at quarterbacking his football team?

The ability to run it in when there’s nothing there is definitely a valuable stat. But when your running and passing tds are less than the next guy, what does that tell you? When you’re passing TDs are 10 or more less than the next guy, it shows lack of big play ability. I doubt Dak is running in 60 yarders. It’s also less likely he’s throwing 60 yards when he does have double digit fewer passing tds than Wilson, than Wentz.

erod

Reaction score
We will know everything we need to know about Dak, good or bad, in six months.

You want stats?
  • Failed to score 10 points in three consecutive games.
  • Led the NFL in pick-sixes
  • 6 TD and 9 INT in last half of the season
Apparently, they've changed the offense to better suit the things he can do.

We'll see.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Rushing touchdowns are fungible; passing touchdowns are not.

I don't agree with this statement. The play that Dak scores the most on is the RPO keeper which is unique to his skill set. If other QBs could do it as well they would since it is effective. There is no reason to handicap a QB that has better mobility skills in order to try and pidgin-hole them into some objective archetype.

Dylan88Wilson

Reaction score
They are not the same thing. You can’t just add rushing touchdowns to passing touchdowns and then compare it to other QBs. Rushing touchdowns are fungible; passing touchdowns are not.
The Cowboys are last in the league in dropbacks over the last two seasons. There’s no way to turn Dak Prescott into a prolific QB, despite the laughable tricks in the OP.
1 passing yard = 1 yard, 1 rushing TD = 6 points. It’s only “fungible” if I only counted his total numbers against their passing numbers. Dak accumulated all his stats playing the QB position just like they did.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Part of the reason is because everything the offense does is attributed to the qb. When a back the runs the ball for a wide open td, the qb called that. He could have just as easily done it himself if he wanted. Cam could have 15 rushing tds every year if he really wanted.

But a passing td is something that’s identifiably related to the qb’s talent, and not constructed by what formation the defense is in or who he has in the backfield with him. Tougher defenses make it harder to throw tds, yes, but that’s why Rodgers and Roethlissberger and Brady creep ahead of the pack in that stat. Because they’re beating defenses at a more consistent rate. Because Russell Wilson is leeching rushing tds from his backs means he’s better at quarterbacking his football team?

But then you have to bring WR/TE/RB skill into the equation since the QB cannot catch the ball themselves.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
If you can’t see the flaws in Dak you need to take the blinders off.

I’m not saying he’s a bad QB or even that the Cowboys can’t win with him...but there are certainly legit questions about his ability to win big games against a good team with his arm. Can he consistently push the ball down the field without a great RB and O-Line? Or is he more of a game manager that needs a lot around him to win? With the $ he could potentially get as a franchise QB signing an extention you need to be SURE he is THE guy. In my mind we aren’t there yet, this coming season will be the true test.
Dude, he’s on a list with some of the greats of all time after two years.

That by any estimation is, at least, a very good start.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
But then you have to bring WR/TE/RB skill into the equation since the QB cannot catch the ball themselves.

If they’re good enough to make an nfl team, a genuinely good qb can make something out of them. How many times do you hear “Phillip rivers is probably going to have a bad year because he doesn’t have as many pro bowlers as he usually does around him.” “If only Matt Stafford had more talent around him he wouldn’t be fighting to keep his job.” “It’s unfortunate the Packers lost Jordy Nelson, there goes Aaron rodgers’ Chance at the hall of fame.”

Good qbs make the weapons, not the other way around. Keenan Allen would be a nobody if he played for the Bills. What happened to Desean Jackson when he didn’t have Cousins or Mcnabb? All-pros can make you look better, no doubt, but it’s not as drastic as people make it. Stafford looks better today than he did with Megatron, he had tunnel vision back then. Matt Ryan seems to be about the same qb when Julio is on the field as when he’s injured. Yeah they are more imposing and yeah they have a better chance of winning, but Matt specifically doesn’t do a jeckle and Hyde act. He’s still Matt.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
If they’re good enough to make an nfl team, a genuinely good qb can make something out of them. How many times do you hear “Phillip rivers is probably going to have a bad year because he doesn’t have as many pro bowlers as he usually does around him.” “If only Matt Stafford had more talent around him he wouldn’t be fighting to keep his job.” “It’s unfortunate the Packers lost Jordy Nelson, there goes Aaron rodgers’ Chance at the hall of fame.”

Good qbs make the weapons, not the other way around. Keenan Allen would be a nobody if he played for the Bills.

So by that logic Dak would not have more passing TDs if we had Antonio Brown? I don't believe that.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
I don't agree with this statement. The play that Dak scores the most on is the RPO keeper which is unique to his skill set. If other QBs could do it as well they would since it is effective. There is no reason to handicap a QB that has better mobility skills in order to try and pidgin-hole them into some objective archetype.
You don’t have to agree with it. And there’s nothing unique about it... most QBs have the mobility to score in those plays. They just don’t need to. Aaron Rodgers is faster and a better scrambler than Dak and could easily score a lot of rushing touchdowns. He just doesn’t need to. They have running backs for that.
And there’s no problem with giving Dak credit for his rushing touchdowns. Just list them separately instead of trying to mislead people like the garbage in the OP.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
You don’t have to agree with it. And there’s nothing unique about it... most QBs have the mobility to score in those plays. They just don’t need to. Aaron Rodgers is faster and a better scrambler than Dak and could easily score a lot of rushing touchdowns. He just doesn’t need to. They have running backs for that.
And there’s no problem with giving Dak credit for his rushing touchdowns. Just list them separately instead of trying to mislead people like the garbage in the OP.

Again, I will respectfully disagree. If you look at Red Zone Scoring Percentage stats, you'll see that there are many teams that struggle in the red zone. If they had the option to score an "easy" TD with a QB keeper, they would take it no questions asked.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Again, I will respectfully disagree. If you look at Red Zone Scoring Percentage stats, you'll see that there are many teams that struggle in the red zone. If they had the option to score an "easy" TD with a QB keeper, they would take it no questions asked.

But the red zone is 20 yards, not 2. He’s getting those keepers because Zeke brought him down there. I’m willing to be those bad red zone teams don’t have a top 5 rb.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Amazing that Staubach is still so highly ranked. That was a very different passing era he played in.

I agree. I was just a kid when Staubach played at the end of his career but this gives me a whole new respect for what he did in totality. This is if this list is complete and accurate. I'm not going to check it all, lol.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
After another year of this production what will the nasayers say??

We only need to look at Romo’s career and detractors to see.