Rapoport: Cowboys haven't offered Dak a contract extension

JonesBoys

Reaction score
If these morons turn around and sign him after this season then what a total waste next season will be. You let him eat him eat up 59 million so you can't use any money to make the team better. This has to mean he is done in Dallas after next season or these clowns just wasted a season. And if they are done then why not try to trade him?

quickccc

Reaction score
August will be the tale tell month.

Jerry: " Deadlines makes Deals "

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
August will be the tale tell month.

Jerry: " Deadlines makes Deals "
Why August??????
I'm thinking next month before the draft as a drop-dead deadline coz if he's not traded there's nothing to stop him from becoming a free agent. Both sides are putting all their chips in the middle of the table........may the best hand win.
*If Dak leads us to the NFCCG or Super Bowl, he can walk or Jerry is probably looking at $65M top keep him.
* If we start losing and drop to 3rd/4th place in the division or Dak is injured, they may bench him and leverage swings in Jerry's favor.

People have asked, who would trade for him before the draft. I would put my money on the Vikes, Raiders, Seahawks and maybe Broncos

DandyDon52

Reaction score
But, barring a trend-busting Superbowl appearance - Dallas WON’T be the team ponying up his ridiculous salary.

ROI - it’s a ‘bidness decision.’ Me likey.
there is still a good chance (50%) dallas extends dak this summer or after the season.
just days ago jerry was saying dak is SB caliber qb, so he still wants him I think.

Cmac

Reaction score
Going to be real fun on this board once the reality of actual rebuilding sets in next year. And it will be deserving, under the franchise building acumen of this Front Office. Hang on.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Why August??????
I'm thinking next month before the draft as a drop-dead deadline coz if he's not traded there's nothing to stop him from becoming a free agent. Both sides are putting all their chips in the middle of the table........may the best hand win.
*If Dak leads us to the NFCCG or Super Bowl, he can walk or Jerry is probably looking at $65M top keep him.
* If we start losing and drop to 3rd/4th place in the division or Dak is injured, they may bench him and leverage swings in Jerry's favor.

People have asked, who would trade for him before the draft. I would put my money on the Vikes, Raiders, Seahawks and maybe Broncos
What would a team trade for a one year rental at quarterback, assuming Dak would even approve of the trade?

McKDaddy

Reaction score
This is the thing: the Cowboys should know by now what direction they want to go in regards to Dak. This is embarrassing.

If they think Dak is the guy, why didn't they extend him and open cap space and actually add to the roster?

If they don't think he's the guy, than why didn't they just cut bait and see what Trey Lance can do before paying him his fifth year option in 2025?

This front office is clueless and without a plan.
No, they are just paying the price for being clueless when they gave him all the leverage in the first contract.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
What would a team trade for a one year rental at quarterback, assuming Dak would even approve of the trade?
If he's a top x franchise QB like so many contend, why wouldn't they?

You gotta get those when they are available, right?

dagreat1_87

Reaction score
Just trade Dak to Minnesota and let's get this rebuild started already. I'd rather get at least a 2nd rounder than just let him leave for nothing.....i personally think he's worth more but i doubt they'd get fair value because they never do

Rayman70

Reaction score
giphy.gif

Rayman70

Reaction score
Just trade Dak to Minnesota and let's get this rebuild started already. I'd rather get at least a 2nd rounder than just let him leave for nothing.....i personally think he's worth more but i doubt they'd get fair value because they never do
Raiders want him I hear, as do the saints. Just do it now. No need to wait and prolong the pain for all parties. Raiders make the most sense. I'd want Aiden Oconnell and 2 premium picks in return.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Wouldn't be a one-year rental.........no way his new team makes that trade w/o signing him to a new deal.
Well, that can’t happen without Jerry Jones giving his agent permission to talk to other teams. And he has not done that. The fact is, Jerry does not know what he wants to do. Right now, Dak has one option. Play the 2024 season for the Dallas Cowboys for $29 million. That’s not expensive for a seasoned QB with three straight 12 win seasons. The Giants and Saints can get out of the deals with their current QB1s after the 2024 season. The Seahawks guaranteed pay to Geno is all paid after the 2024 season. Dak’s agent is probably aware there will be those three teams possibly bidding for Dak’s services, and more. Max value happens when more teams are bidding for his services and they don’t have to give Dallas anything for him. I’m going to guess that’s the situation he wants and he’ll tell Jerry, “we’re good as is”. No extension, no trade, no way.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Playing hardball with Dak works only if you have a guy that can be a legit starter behind him.

Just musing:

Do they know something about Lance that we don’t? Have they seen something in practice that makes them comfortable with the notion of letting Dak walk away?

The best development of the offseason would be for Lance to ball out and cause a QB controversy.

khiladi

Reaction score
It the only QB % wise that played with Emmit.
OK Tad.. let me slow it down for you. We are talking about QB record when a RB doesn’t get 100 yards rushing. That means when the RB is not having a good day, whether it’s Emmitt. Henry or some other scrub, the QB can’t carry them.

Dak isn’t even competitive with scrub QBs in this QB-friendly era when you can’t touch QBs and DBs are at a significant disadvantage, despite having one of the best OL, especially PASS BLOCKING OLs in the league, for years and the best RG for a large part of it, in comparison to other QBs. Aikman on the other hand was not.

Dak sucks. It is what it is buddy. But of course Tad, you are going to tell us not only is Dak better than Aikman, but is better and more accurate than Elway and Marino because they were career upper 50% completion percentage.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Raiders want him I hear, as do the saints. Just do it now. No need to wait and prolong the pain for all parties. Raiders make the most sense. I'd want Aiden Oconnell and 2 premium picks in return.
No NFL team wants him for the money he thinks he should be paid.
Dak is doing the lame duck walk and Jerry is getting his pound of flesh this coming season.

khiladi

Reaction score
I am happy to move on from Dak. But we need to figure out a way to do it that benefits us, too. Not working with him for a trade is like trading Cooper for paint chips because Jerry was mad at him. Or if he won't accept that, cut him and tank the season for a high draft pick. Let's say we win 11 games this year with Dak and he walks. We pick in the low 20s and get what, the third or fourth rated QB in a bad year for QBs? All while the esteemed front office drops the ball on extensions and refuses to sign any new players cause theyre too cheap to do anything?

I don't trust the Joneses at all to find the next guy and build a team around him unless we pick in the top 5 and the dude is literally staring right at them.
Sometimes you just got to bite the bullet. And they got to bite the bullet either way for the horrible contract they gave Dak anyways. Denver got rid of Wilson and didn’t look back.

But the NFL is a win now league, meaning there is no era that it is easier to retool to be competitive than this modern era.