Rapoport: Cowboys haven't offered Dak a contract extension

stiletto

Reaction score
I am happy to move on from Dak. But we need to figure out a way to do it in a way that benefits us, too. Not working with him for a trade is like trading Cooper for paint chips because Jerry was mad at him. Or if he won't accept that, cut him and tank the season for a high draft pick. Let's say we win 11 games this year with Dak and he walks. We pick in the low 20s and get what, the third or fourth rated QB in a bad year for QBs?

I don't trust the Joneses at all to find the next guy unless we pick in the top 5 and the dude is literally staring right at them.
Who trusts the Joneses? They've lucked into everything decent since Jimmy left. Will McClay has been the only hope and his star is not exactly rising after the last draft. LOL

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
GM Jethro has no back up plan. Never does.

Next year he will cost more than this year. Same mistake he always makes.
But, barring a trend-busting Superbowl appearance - Dallas WON’T be the team ponying up his ridiculous salary.

ROI - it’s a ‘bidness decision.’ Me likey.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
This is the thing: the Cowboys should know by now what direction they want to go in regards to Dak. This is embarrassing.

If they think Dak is the guy, why didn't they extend him and open cap space and actually add to the roster?

If they don't think he's the guy, than why didn't they just cut bait and see what Trey Lance can do before paying him his fifth year option in 2025?

This front office is clueless and without a plan.
Why do the Cowboys have to go to EITHER extreme?

THIS is a classic example of playing it down the middle.

Flamma

Reaction score
If they don't think he's the guy, than why didn't they just cut bait and see what Trey Lance can do before paying him his fifth year option in 2025?
They have to decide whether or not to pick up his 5th year option this May. I'm guessing they're not.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
Just remember, If Dak plays out this season and departs, he will still count $40,460,000 against the 2025 salary cap- a massive hit.

Genius management.
(note internet sarcasm)

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Just remember, If Dak plays out this season and departs, he will still count $40,460,000 against the 2025 salary cap- a massive hit.

Genius management.
(note internet sarcasm)
Eventually gotta pay the piper. If it wasn't this year or next and they extended him, it would be some year in the future. A future without rings.

stiletto

Reaction score

Genius management.
(note internet sarcasm)
You can thank the Broncos for making that look measly....

The salary cap went up $32 million this year, will probably go up at least $20-25 million next year so they'll be able to eat it if they want to with pretty much all the other contracts off the books. Clean slate in 2025 if they want except for Dak.

StylisticS

Reaction score
The biggest screw up was waiting so long to sign Dak. They got taken to the cleaners and now have to rip the band aid off because they know Dak can't win it all. They made a bet and lost.
Yep that 2019 off-season is coming back to haunt them. That was the number one best time to give Dak his extension and they likely would have dictated how long the contract was for and it would have been around 33-35 million if I’m not mistaken. I don’t know if it was Stephen or Jerry but either one of them or both massively dropped the ball.