RECAP: Sean Salisbury - ESPN

aikemirv

Reaction score
If you stack the box and play man you better get pressure really quick or Romo is going to eat them alive in a man to man situation - I don't care how good your corners are.

FCBarca

Reaction score
Billy Bullocks;1777462 said:
I definately didn't see GB being good at the start of the season. But when you look at them, you realize, they are pretty good.

Good QB.
Driver is a solid WR
Good pass rush
Barnett and Hawk are good LBs
Good Corners.

I'd agree although I'd add that their QB is very good and their pass rush is terrific...Besides having DL that can rush the passer, their LBs are excellent both in coverage and playing the run...Not to mention bolstering the pass rush.

The interesting comparison is how both the Packers and Cowboys matchup in the secondary...Kinda similar stats there...The big difference then comes down to the passing attacks and GB is ranked #1 in that category.

I think the area where it concerns me is that I find the front 7 of GB to be better in terms of pass rush than ours...Moreover, it looks on paper that GB would have a better shot of slowing our Offense down than vice versa...That IS, of course, unless the secondary is bolstered by Henry's return and some better play overall.

Should be a good game and hopefully Dallas will send a message to the NFC that no one will be winning in the playoffs at Texas Stadium

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
superpunk;1777506 said:
The Packers man up with one deep safety more than anyone in the NFL.

They won't change that simply because TO is on the field. They might roll that safety to TO's side a bit more, but Salisbury is spot on, IMO. Woodson and Harris will man up TO, and they will probably force Romo elsewhere.

I don't think either one of those CBs can play man to man on Owens. I agree with you that they will try but I don't think they will be able to do it. There safeties are not special to me. There front seven is very good but I'd like them to go man with our WRs and see what happened. They are pretty good against the run but certain teams have had success against them running the football. I think you spread them out a little bit and use your TE and backs. Shockey had a decent game against them. Gates, Cooley, Gonzales and the combination of Clark and Olsen for the Bears all had good games against that defense. The thing we must be able to do is block there base 4 with just 5. If we can do this, we can score a lot of points against them. There defense has played pretty well this year but really, they haven't faced an offense like ours.

thekavorka

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1777509 said:
Yeah, it gets better as the season goes. New England is the 4th ranked defense in the league and we scored 27 points against them. NYG, the Skins, even Philly is ranked 14th in the league. I don't know. I guess there not any good unless they play in Green Bay.

This has nothing to do with your argument, but technically we scored 20 points against New England's defense.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
thekavorka;1777586 said:
This has nothing to do with your argument, but technically we scored 20 points against New England's defense.

A fair point.

onetrickpony

Reaction score
AdamJT13;1777484 said:
Are the Giants not a good defense now?

Before we played them, they were the most fearsome gang of quarterback-crushing defenders the NFL had ever seen.

But if the Cowboys beat someone, they must be a weak team because "everybody" says that Dallas has only beaten weak teams. :rolleyes:

It's a self-fullfilling prophesy.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Billy Bullocks;1777462 said:
I definately didn't see GB being good at the start of the season. But when you look at them, you realize, they are pretty good.

Good QB.
Driver is a solid WR
Good pass rush
Barnett and Hawk are good LBs
Good Corners.

Greg Jennings is the real threat at WR right now, not Driver.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
thewireman;1777470 said:
How weak the NFC is? Does he mean not having the Patriots in the NFC cause the AFC doesn't have much in the way of dominating teams as well

NFC 2 teams at 9-1

AFC 1 team made from god at 10-0
1 team at 8-2

The NFC is 23-21 against the AFC this season. If you take out the Patriots (who all will grant are in a league by themselves) it's 23-19.

SacredStar

Reaction score
Harris and Woodson are bump and run corners (I like to call them bump and hold) who play real physical. They are also the most penalized CB tandem in the NFL.

Harris grabs at the line and continues to hold way past the 5 yard limit. He has been burned deep a lot this season....either giving up the play or drawing the flag.

Woodson has been flagged quite a bit also. But he makes more plays than Harris.

I say target Harris.

And the Packers biggest weakness on defense is that the opposing TE's have huge games.

Witten will be key in this game.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
I have been saying it for weeks....our offense will have to work extra hard against good teams because of Patrick Crayton...I hope people realize that getting Terry Glenn back is NOT gravy...it is necessary to get where we want to go...especially when you consider we cannot run the ball.

ringmaster

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1777572 said:
I don't think either one of those CBs can play man to man on Owens. I agree with you that they will try but I don't think they will be able to do it. There safeties are not special to me. There front seven is very good but I'd like them to go man with our WRs and see what happened. They are pretty good against the run but certain teams have had success against them running the football. I think you spread them out a little bit and use your TE and backs. Shockey had a decent game against them. Gates, Cooley, Gonzales and the combination of Clark and Olsen for the Bears all had good games against that defense. The thing we must be able to do is block there base 4 with just 5. If we can do this, we can score a lot of points against them. There defense has played pretty well this year but really, they haven't faced an offense like ours.
Nice post supposedly the Giants D, the second time around was going to be a test for the Cowboys offense didn't happen so now all of the sudden the Packers defense, will now be a measuring stick for the Cowboys offense it won't happen Harris, and Woodson are nice corners, but if that is their plan of man to man with Owens, then Romo, is going to lit them up and Witten, will be the x-factor this game while Green Bay's defense is good they won't be able to contain the Cowboys offense for 4 qts.

ringmaster

Reaction score
bbailey423;1777794 said:
I have been saying it for weeks....our offense will have to work extra hard against good teams because of Patrick Crayton...I hope people realize that getting Terry Glenn back is NOT gravy...it is necessary to get where we want to go...especially when you consider we cannot run the ball.
We're a better running team than Green Bay, and what about Patrick Crayton, that our offense has to work so hard against good teams.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
AdamJT13;1777484 said:
Are the Giants not a good defense now?

Before we played them, they were the most fearsome gang of quarterback-crushing defenders the NFL had ever seen.

:laugh2: true, very true

SacredStar

Reaction score
ringmaster;1777809 said:
We're a better running team than Green Bay, and what about Patrick Crayton, that our offense has to work so hard against good teams.

The last three weeks, the Packers running game has been better than Dallas'.

aka Ryan Grant

Big Dakota

Reaction score
ringmaster;1777798 said:
Nice post supposedly the Giants D, the second time around was going to be a test for the Cowboys offense didn't happen so now all of the sudden the Packers defense, will now be a measuring stick for the Cowboys offense it won't happen Harris, and Woodson are nice corners, but if that is their plan of man to man with Owens, then Romo, is going to lit them up and Witten, will be the x-factor this game while Green Bay's defense is good they won't be able to contain the Cowboys offense for 4 qts.

I know one thing after watching Atari Bigby in coverage, the Packers should be VERY afraid.

ringmaster

Reaction score
SacredStar;1777829 said:

aka Ryan Grant
Yeah, and he will be brought back down to earth against our run D.

You have to look at that we played some better run defenses than the Packers did with the exception of the Vikes.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
People here complained we gave up too many yards to the Commanders and I agree but the Packers and their vaunted defence allowed over 380 to a team quarterbacked by Testaverde.

I also noticed as usual the Packers benefited from home town calls. On a Favre fumble, the ref on review said it was a fumble and even though Peppers jumped up with the ball, that it was not clear who recovered it :eek:

Then there was a hit to Testaverde's head on a fumble without a call.

onetrickpony

Reaction score
SacredStar;1777829 said:

aka Ryan Grant

And the Skins were averaging 136 a game until their backs only got 45 yesterday. I'm not woried about the GB running game at all.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Grant was injured yesterday so who knows if that Samkon Gado reincarnation will be worth anything by November 29