Report: Cowboys have discussed a contract extension with Dak

Swagger

Reaction score
Remember Stephen once said his extension may not get a lot of press. We could get an unexpected press release that it's done.
Just me, but I'm guessing his extension will put his salary in the top 5

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...terbacks-2023-salary/zqrureirykzx3z7hyq713qov
Another newcomer to the highest-paid list is Daniel Jones, who is averaging $40 million in AAV. He signed a four-year extension just before the start of free agency to crack the top 10.

NFL's highest-paid quarterbacks​

RankPlayerAAV
1Justin Herbert$52.5 million
2Lamar Jackson$52 million
3Jalen Hurts$51 million
4Russell Wilson$48.5 million
5Kyler Murray$46.1 million
6Deshaun Watson$46 million
7Patrick Mahomes$45 million
8Josh Allen$43 million
9Dak Prescott$40 million
Daniel Jones$40 million
Matthew Stafford$40 million

Mahomes and Josh Allen are bargains compared with what this space cadet will be paid.

Swagger

Reaction score
Wouldn't extend him until after the season.
That's what any person with common sense would do. Keep your options open. The issue that people overlook is that Prescott has turned into an injury prone QB. Before even contemplating paying him again, you would surely want to see if he can handle a 17 game regular season given he has missed 16 games over the past 3 seasons.

NotForLong

Reaction score
https://overthecap.com/player/dak-prescott/4848

Dak will have a $60m cap hit next year as is. Anyone surprised by this hasn't been paying attention.

As not-a-particularly-big-Dak-fan, I would take a 3 year extension pulling his AAV up to $45m. If the team just lets the contract go its going to ruin the team's chances over the next few years. Dak has a $36m cap hit in 2025 when he isn't even on the team.
What if he loses the Job? Do you want to pay him $45 million to sit in the Bench?

NotForLong

Reaction score
I’m hoping more than I can articulate that we make him earn the deal from this point forward before giving it to him. If we make the NFC Championship, then go ahead. If we make a SB, absolutely. If we win a SB give him $70M and I won’t disagree. But he didn’t play like a $40M QB last year, let alone a $50M one. He needs to show me he is post injuries and at this age a top QB Before I’m extending him for those dollars. So it’s either deeper playoff advancement or a much smarter and better year than last year where we lose even Though he plays great when it matters most
This

NotForLong

Reaction score
212250.gif
Lol

NotForLong

Reaction score
Just looking for a reason to clean the last bit of Cowboys memorabilia off my office shelf. Already threw out all my jerseys and shirts. The only thing left is a coffee mug and autographed picture with Witten. And a football. Sign Dak so I can throw everything out to complete the process of no longer being a fan. The hatred is seething.
This

pansophy

Reaction score
Jerry has no problem extending Dak though......He's the best if not one of thee best guards in the league and a team captain, Just add two years to his deal, with a bigger signing bonus, I'm not saying sign him to a seven year extension......If Zack Martin requests a trade, there will be teams lining up to trade for him and then what will you do at right guard, Josh Ball or Edoga...no thanks!!
Dak is 30 and QB's can play into their late 30's. It's just not the same comparison age wise.

NotForLong

Reaction score
They dont need to sign him until after the season, but the jones boys are trying to now.
Does that make sense to you??
I would wait and see how he does this season, then decide what to do.
Maybe they are trying to make Martin jealous

NotForLong

Reaction score
the jones boys say this is a SB team and year, but again have left glaring holes.
1. martin is unhappy and sitting out ( no problem there lol)
2. the kicker is 26 of 32, and a unknown no experience, and cant kick beyond 48 yds.( all offseason fans have said this needs to be fixed, and look where they are at lol)
3.Pollard is coming off a broken leg and is the only real good rb, if he is back to form and can last.RJ was suspended.( so run game is questionable)
4. parsons is heavier, so I think he will wear himself out again by playoffs.
5.Offense is new , can the players execute it? Will dak be better ?

Jerry just ignores certain problem areas every year, and it affects their chances.
It will be interesting to see how it all goes this year.
Wow