Report: Cowboys have discussed a contract extension with Dak

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Jerry has no problem extending Dak though......He's the best if not one of thee best guards in the league and a team captain, Just add two years to his deal, with a bigger signing bonus, I'm not saying sign him to a seven year extension......If Zack Martin requests a trade, there will be teams lining up to trade for him and then what will you do at right guard, Josh Ball or Edoga...no thanks!!
If teams want Martin for a 1st rounder they can have him. No team would though.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm going to maintain hope that even jerry and steven aren't stupid enough to do this extension

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
we should have taken QBs in the draft every 3, to 4 years. just as a strategy to make sure we are not cornered in negotiations and have a QB being developed.

that's fully on Jerry the GM. then again Jerry liked Manziel and Lynch.
Haven’t they been doing that? 2016 they drafted Dak, 2018 Mike White and 2020 Dinucci…….next year will be year 4 without doing it.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just looking for a reason to clean the last bit of Cowboys memorabilia off my office shelf. Already threw out all my jerseys and shirts. The only thing left is a coffee mug and autographed picture with Witten. And a football. Sign Dak so I can throw everything out to complete the process of no longer being a fan. The hatred is seething.
They give this most inept panic-driven QB another contract is the day I am done with the Jones circus.
Enough already................... :espn:

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
If teams want Martin for a 1st rounder they can have him. No team would though.
No team is going to offer a 1st rounder, if he wants out then what do you expect to get when a team knows he wants out, a conditional 4th to a third......DO you want him playing for the Cowboys or someone else, if Jerry is working on a Dak extension and he has two years left, then why wouldn't you try to negotiate with the best offensive linemen on the team and in the league in Zach Martin...

Robster8989

Reaction score
I neither love Dak, nor hate him.
To me, he is an NFL franchise QB, and ranks in the 8-10 range of NFL QBs.
One quality I do believe he possesses is strong leadership.
When he received his previous deal, which was the highest for a QB at that time, he still had potential to get much better, and that is something that NFL teams must pay for (look at Herbert's deal for example, as he is not the best QB in the game, but he has so much potential). Today, Dak is what he is IMO. A good to very good QB (who has done little his playoff opportunities).
So Dak, be a leader, and don't expect to reset the QB bar, because frankly, you don't deserve to.

If Mahomes is making 45, Dak should accept something in the 40-45 range, and give the team the ability to keep and add talent around you (since frankly Dak, you're not good enough to win without a LOT of talent around you)
I'm saying this as a Dak fan, but it is the truth.
Brady made a lot less than other QBs most of his career, so the team could keep and add talent around him.
Dak needs to be a leader. The franchise showed you respect and gave you the top contract in league history at the time. I know others have surpassed that, and I'm not suggesting a pay cut. Just keep your deal in the range it is, maybe even a little bump to 45 APY, and be a team player. The goodwill that would come from such a move alone could make up for any "loss" in the form of additional endorsements.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Remember Stephen once said his extension may not get a lot of press. We could get an unexpected press release that it's done.
Just me, but I'm guessing his extension will put his salary in the top 5

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...terbacks-2023-salary/zqrureirykzx3z7hyq713qov
Another newcomer to the highest-paid list is Daniel Jones, who is averaging $40 million in AAV. He signed a four-year extension just before the start of free agency to crack the top 10.

NFL's highest-paid quarterbacks​

RankPlayerAAV
1Justin Herbert$52.5 million
2Lamar Jackson$52 million
3Jalen Hurts$51 million
4Russell Wilson$48.5 million
5Kyler Murray$46.1 million
6Deshaun Watson$46 million
7Patrick Mahomes$45 million
8Josh Allen$43 million
9Dak Prescott$40 million
Daniel Jones$40 million
Matthew Stafford$40 million

This shouldn't surprise anyone, they need to rework his contract to open up more cap room to resign several of their players.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
No team is going to offer a 1st rounder, if he wants out then what do you expect to get when a team knows he wants out, a conditional 4th to a third......DO you want him playing for the Cowboys or someone else, if Jerry is working on a Dak extension and he has two years left, then why wouldn't you try to negotiate with the best offensive linemen on the team and in the league in Zach Martin...
I want a first. If no one offers that then yeah I’d bring him back but at 33 I’m not sure how much he has left at s high level.

Shane612

Reaction score
Yet the idiots running this franchise won't rework a deal for one of thee best guards to ever play......
To Jerry's defense, Martin has an active contract already. He should honor it.
Unless you feel contracts aren't worth the paper they're written on.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
To Jerry's defense, Martin has an active contract already. He should honor it.
Unless you feel contracts aren't worth the paper they're written on.
Shouldn't Dak honor his then, he has two years left on his.....yet they're working on an extension for him....Martin counts 24 million against the cap next year I believe so why not rework his deal now

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Haven’t they been doing that? 2016 they drafted Dak, 2018 Mike White and 2020 Dinucci…….next year will be year 4 without doing it.
well, yes, but let me qualify it better. I mean not just late round flyers and hope to strike gold. but maybe first 3 rounds. that would be 1 draft pick out of 12-14 (depending on your first three round number of picks over a 4 year span).

not saying to draft, for the sake of drafting. but draft viable prospects. I wouldn't mind spending a 2nd round pick, where we have history of over reaching or failing anyway. if they are not rated

Shane612

Reaction score
Shouldn't Dak honor his then, he has two years left on his.....yet they're working on an extension for him....Martin counts 24 million against the cap next year I believe so why not rework his deal now
Well, it's one thing if the management feels you're worthy of a new contract, but to initiate a protest on your own for a new contract is entirely different.
Did Dak protest and ask for an extension? I really don't know.
Personally, I don't think Dak is worthy, but it's not my money. Jerry can do what ever he wants with his money.